| MBB/WBB UPDATE 9/29: New Patch article: Pre-Trial Immunity Hearing For Darius Miles Started Today

I’d seen Goodman’s comments. Nice to see Bilas, who carries a much bigger audience, say what he’s saying. I’m not a big fan of his, but overall, the voices at ESPN have been unfair at best towards Miller the past 3 days. Bilas swings a big stick there, and for him to go against the ESPN grain is noteworthy. Worth mentioning, he’s been around Miller and I’m sure has a decent feel for what he’s about.

None of us were there. We all have partial information.

Miller is a witness and is not on trial. If Miles attorneys feel like they can use Miller to help their case for sure they will. On the impact to Miller, this may have alread impacted his future. When it comes to sports figures I am amazed at what they do and still are able to play and make a lot of money.
All I was saying is that the defense has big plans to attack Miller and his denials… The lawyers are required to do whatever it takes to help their clients… a lot of people here are attacking me for injecting truth…Miller is not on trial for a crime but he is very important to the defense of the charged people… they WILL hammer Miller on that stand…It is what defense lawyers do..

All I was saying is that the defense has big plans to attack Miller and his denials… The lawyers are required to do whatever it takes to help their clients… a lot of people here are attacking me for injecting truth…Miller is not on trial for a crime but he is very important to the defense of the charged people… they WILL hammer Miller on that stand…It is what defense lawyers do..
Completely agree they will use Miller in whateve way will help Miles or Davis. Is that hammering? It depends on the defense strategy.

In Miles trial maybe they will use him to implicate Davis more than Miles. Miller will have the video to back his story but of course they will try and understand his intent and tell it in best light for Miles. Hard for me to understand how if Miles defense deflects that if Miller had not come back with the gun no crime would have occurred helps him get a less sentence. I am certainly no laywer or ever had any interactions with a court room so what do I know?

Seems like using Miller to defend a self defense strategy makes more sense for Miles. If they use self defense doesn't that lead you to think the type of questions will be much different for Miller?

All of this is pure speculation and we will not know any of this until Miller is no longer at Bama. The University has to have enough information to feel ok about this at least from a University libelity standpoint. That is their job with regards to protecting the University. They also have a duty to defend Millers rights. This is threading the needle scenario.

I never want to post on this w/o reminding there is the tragedy that a young mother is dead.

Completely agree they will use Miller in whateve way will help Miles or Davis. Is that hammering? It depends on the defense strategy.

In Miles trial maybe they will use him to implicate Davis more than Miles. Miller will have the video to back his story but of course they will try and understand his intent and tell it in best light for Miles. Hard for me to understand how if Miles defense deflects that if Miller had not come back with the gun no crime would have occurred helps him get a less sentence. I am certainly no laywer or ever had any interactions with a court room so what do I know?

Seems like using Miller to defend a self defense strategy makes more sense for Miles. If they use self defense doesn't that lead you to think the type of questions will be much different for Miller?

All of this is pure speculation and we will not know any of this until Miller is no longer at Bama. The University has to have enough information to feel ok about this at least from a University libelity standpoint. That is their job with regards to protecting the University. They also have a duty to defend Millers rights. This is threading the needle scenario.

I never want to post on this w/o reminding there is the tragedy that a young mother is dead.
It depends on what side calls him in each case… if the prosecution call Miller to help them..that is when the defense will pounce..if the defense calls Miller for Miles they will most likely use Miller to try and lower his charges…Of course, if Miles didn’t pull the trigger the State may already be planning his deal…

It depends on what side calls him in each case… if the prosecution call Miller to help them..that is when the defense will pounce..if the defense calls Miller for Miles they will most likely use Miller to try and lower his charges…Of course, if Miles didn’t pull the trigger the State may already be planning his deal…
Miller is twice removed from the situation, not involved in the altercation, hasn't been threatened nor has he threatened anyone. He's not the big fish for the prosecution, so I can't see him being a vehicle to lower anyone's charges.

Miller is twice removed from the situation, not involved in the altercation, hasn't been threatened nor has he threatened anyone. He's not the big fish for the prosecution, so I can't see him being a vehicle to lower anyone's charges.
If you think Miller will not be used in these trials..you are kidding yourself…

I’d seen Goodman’s comments. Nice to see Bilas, who carries a much bigger audience, say what he’s saying. I’m not a big fan of his, but overall, the voices at ESPN have been unfair at best towards Miller the past 3 days. Bilas swings a big stick there, and for him to go against the ESPN grain is noteworthy. Worth mentioning, he’s been around Miller and I’m sure has a decent feel for what he’s about.

Spot on by Bilas I'm a fan of his I think he has vast knowledge of the game knows how to commentate a game and he has a law degree.

If you think Miller will not be used in these trials..you are kidding yourself…
I didn't say Miller wouldn't be "used" in these trials. The defense will float any story to save the shooter's life or avoid life without parole. I said that he will not be a means to lower charges for anyone. The prosecution wants the trigger man first. Miller's on the periphery, and not a bargaining chip with the prosecution.

By what I have read this has been done the whole season? So the ones that been to any games has this been done?

Yes, been doing it all year... and it isn't a "frisk" as being portrayed by the pitchfork and torch brigade... it is a fighter stepping into the ring/octagon pat down, which doesn't take much deductive reasoning to realize. But at this point, the mob is looking for anything and everything to latch onto. They'll find something else shortly for their faux outrage and continue their march.

Yes, been doing it all year... and it isn't a "frisk" as being portrayed by the pitchfork and torch brigade... it is a fighter steeping into the ring/octagon pat down, which doesn't take much deductive reasoning to realize. But at this point, the mob is looking for anything and everything to latch onto. They'll find something else shortly for their faux outrage and continue their march.
Yes after reading some of these commits, thinking you right.

Just saw where Oats (was forced to) apologize again today over silly shit. I'm not sure I recall a situation in college sports in the last few years that has been handled as poorly as this has from a PR standpoint. First, they completely drop the ball and send Oats into a mine field with that original press conference. Now, they are overcorrecting and extending news cycles by sending him on a needless apology tour. Basically, just making things worse, one day at a time.

Just saw where Oats (was forced to) apologize again today over silly shit. I'm not sure I recall a situation in college sports in the last few years that has been handled as poorly as this has from a PR standpoint. First, they completely drop the ball and send Oats into a mine field with that original press conference. Now, they are overcorrecting and extending news cycles by sending him on a needless apology tour. Basically, just making things worse, one day at a time.
Is this a little "hindsight is 20/20?"

What I reading here is there should have been someone at UA who would have thought far enough in advance to know Carol was going to attend the hearing, she would tweet out details, and the press would run with it in the fashion they have? And, on top of that, they should have seen the "timeline" and known Oats would be questioned during his press conference?

We can point to countless stories that have gone viral where the original reporting, while inaccurate, fueled days upon days of media fodder. Unfortunately, we've also seen how difficult, if not impossible, it is for people to get ahead of the story (like Miller, UA, et al.)

As a side note of sorts, let's look at the way the SEC handled this past week. Brandon was definitely snubbed on the Freshman of the Week award. (It was nice to see him get National Player of the Week.) Did the SEC make their decision with this in mind, knowing, if they awarded Brandon what he deserved they'd be facing a media storm?

Is this a little "hindsight is 20/20?"

What I reading here is there should have been someone at UA who would have thought far enough in advance to know Carol was going to attend the hearing, she would tweet out details, and the press would run with it in the fashion they have? And, on top of that, they should have seen the "timeline" and known Oats would be questioned during his press conference?

We can point to countless stories that have gone viral where the original reporting, while inaccurate, fueled days upon days of media fodder. Unfortunately, we've also seen how difficult, if not impossible, it is for people to get ahead of the story (like Miller, UA, et al.)

As a side note of sorts, let's look at the way the SEC handled this past week. Brandon was definitely snubbed on the Freshman of the Week award. (It was nice to see him get National Player of the Week.) Did the SEC make their decision with this in mind, knowing, if they awarded Brandon what he deserved they'd be facing a media storm?

They absolutely should have known that the hearing was going to generate (bad) press, from Al.com and all the other local outlets which were in attendance. Even telling Oats, “hey, this thing is going on today, offer no comments on it for now…” would have been 100x better. It would have been a lazy approach, but still better. My main issue though is how they keep fumbling and adding fuel to the flames at this point.

With Miller not getting any mention from UA after he dropped 41 on South Carolina, my internet dowsing rods tell me that UA has purposefully kept his name out of social media and likely asked the SEC to do the same. I think? those players have to be submitted to them by each school for POTW honors.

Back
Top Bottom