| MBB/WBB UPDATE 9/29: New Patch article: Pre-Trial Immunity Hearing For Darius Miles Started Today

Reading this, it appears the jeep had plenty of chances to move on. Instead, the driver, Johnson, was looking to keep the “disagreement” going. He’s got to prove he’s a man in front of his baby mama.

My thoughts too...

All I needed to see was "first muzzle flash came from inside the Jeep".

If Miles never brandished the pistol and the first shots were fired AT them, then this is clear cut self-defense.

Both should rightfully walk.

And a shit ton of media outlets and talking heads (Clay Travis is one) will have their asses sued off.
That should be really easy to prove with the survelliance video unless somehow it is thrown out or still not as clear as the report states (we have not seen the video). Count me as one of those that does not trust the media reports especially on this story, so I will still wait and let it playout. Certainly seems like the self defense strategy is a given. Still stands that Miller is a witteness and did not committ a crime and there is no cover up.

If the video shows what the writer said - and how he characterized it - then those guys likely will get reduced charges (if they are charged at all).

I've only read a few articles from The Patch, and the guy's the owner of it so he can do what he will, but they seem to be written with an intended conclusion or slant. Perhaps it's just his writing style, to keep eyes on his site. He says he based the article on the February transcript and the video, apparently just obtained. He said he didn't post the video due to it's violent nature, but he could've shown the snip of the first shot. He also noted that "from at least one angle" the first shot appeared to come from the jeep, not from all viewpoints. I do appreciate the writer pointing out that it would take you longer to read the article than how long the events actually played out. Any LE expert will be able to tell - and the writer may have been coached by someone already - that the average person is carrying a gun, particularly if it's just tucked away without a holster. That will be key.

Playing devil's advocate, the writer doesn't say if he could tell who pointed a gun first, just that from at least one angle it appears the jeep fired first. He didn't say if the other angles were inconclusive or suggested something different.

If those charged did not instigate, tried to deescalate, and returned fire only after being fired upon, then they will be the beneficiaries of our digital surveillance age.

RTR,

Tim

If the video shows what the writer said - and how he characterized it - then those guys likely will get reduced charges (if they are charged at all).

I've only read a few articles from The Patch, and the guy's the owner of it so he can do what he will, but they seem to be written with an intended conclusion or slant. Perhaps it's just his writing style, to keep eyes on his site. He says he based the article on the February transcript and the video, apparently just obtained. He said he didn't post the video due to it's violent nature, but he could've shown the snip of the first shot. He also noted that "from at least one angle" the first shot appeared to come from the jeep, not from all viewpoints. I do appreciate the writer pointing out that it would take you longer to read the article than how long the events actually played out. Any LE expert will be able to tell - and the writer may have been coached by someone already - that the average person is carrying a gun, particularly if it's just tucked away without a holster. That will be key.

Playing devil's advocate, the writer doesn't say if he could tell who pointed a gun first, just that from at least one angle it appears the jeep fired first. He didn't say if the other angles were inconclusive or suggested something different.

If those charged did not instigate, tried to deescalate, and returned fire only after being fired upon, then they will be the beneficiaries of our digital surveillance age.

RTR,

Tim
download (1).jpg

RTR,

Tim
Blackwell wrote an article this weekend that said about the same thing as that article. For some reason BamaCentral has pulled it.

After reading the article from the Patch yesterday, IMHO, the TPD took Johnson’s version of events and added it to what Miles initially told 911 about Davis’ being shot. Lazy way to come up with Capital Murder charges I know, but it would seem that with all of the video surveillance available, TPD could’ve been a little more deliberate in their investigation and not so fast to deliver a charge.

TPD could’ve been a little more deliberate in their investigation and not so fast to deliver a charge.
The ying/yang of this story.

It's arguable here's where @SnakeDoc was a little right on this story. His "no charges because he's a star" could have easily been "heavy handed charges" because several were stars.

Ya know, Kevin, the strip isn't near the same place as it was when you and I were in school. Even then, I seldom was there after dark—Happy Hour hours. I was normally coming from class so I wasn't carrying, but damn sure had a Böker in my pocket—scars to prove how nice those are.

I know people who'll leave Charleston and drive to Columbia just to hang out around Five Points on weekend nights. (Not my crowd, but yeah, how much sense does that make?) In this case, we've got groups from inner city Birmingham traveling to Tuscaloosa for a night of entertainment. There's a mixture between folks from the 'Ham, others from the west side of Tuscaloosa, a good number of people who are from out of state, and others in the student body. It's a mixture of cultures as different as was found in the aftermath of the Tower of Babel.

Consider this for a second: You're hanging out around the strip and see a vehicle circling the block while you're preparing to leave. The passengers are people you've just had a confrontation with. Do you know where you gun is? Are you getting it?

I'll say this bit that's unrelated...to a degree.

If I'm there running around and the bar I'm about to enter is patting people down before entry? I'm moving on. I mean, shit, do they need Bill Engvall doing a show beside the door?

My thoughts too...

All I needed to see was "first muzzle flash came from inside the Jeep".

If Miles never brandished the pistol and the first shots were fired AT them, then this is clear cut self-defense.

Both should rightfully walk.

And a shit ton of media outlets and talking heads (Clay Travis is one) will have their asses sued off.
Yea, Miles and Davis may never have to work again with that kinda money rolling in.

It's arguable here's where @SnakeDoc was a little right on this story. His "no charges because he's a star" could have easily been "heavy handed charges" because several were stars.

Ya know, Kevin, the strip isn't near the same place as it was when you and I were in school. Even then, I seldom was there after dark—Happy Hour hours. I was normally coming from class so I wasn't carrying, but damn sure had a Böker in my pocket—scars to prove how nice those are.

I know people who'll leave Charleston and drive to Columbia just to hang out around Five Points on weekend nights. (Not my crowd, but yeah, how much sense does that make?) In this case, we've got groups from inner city Birmingham traveling to Tuscaloosa for a night of entertainment. There's a mixture between folks from the 'Ham, others from the west side of Tuscaloosa, a good number of people who are from out of state, and others in the student body. It's a mixture of cultures as different as was found in the aftermath of the Tower of Babel.

Consider this for a second: You're hanging out around the strip and see a vehicle circling the block while you're preparing to leave. The passengers are people you've just had a confrontation with. Do you know where you gun is? Are you getting it?

If I'm there running around and the bar I'm about to enter is patting people down before entry? I'm moving on. I mean, shit, do they need Bill Engvall doing a show beside the door?
I took a similar approach to when I used to hit the bar scene but how they served their beer. If you were receiving it in Solo cups or by can, I moved on. Pat downs would definitely be a “no for me!” Tells me the clientele there like to cause issues and disturb my plans for a good time.

Yea, being from Nashville there's a few clubs around here that had a terrible reputation when I was younger for gangs/violence and you just steered clear of those. I mostly spent time in country bars and stuff, but whenever a girl wants to go clubbing, what is a young 18-20 year old going to do?

People always assume coverup when it comes to Athletes but they rarely conclude that the DA is trying to make a name for themselves by going after a high profile case against an athlete. If Miller -had- been involved in some way or Bradley. They would've likely gone after them, why do a coverup that could cost you your jobs and get you in jail when you could get a life-altering arrest/conviction for sending a high-profile athlete to jail? You try a case like that and get a conviction you'd be the next leg-up for AG or a Judge candidate.

It's a completely dumb thought, honestly, to believe that a regular person in today's age would be willing to do a coverup for a student athlete when they could better their career by just doing the right thing and turning them in.

If you were receiving it in Solo cups or by can,
Except ...

There was a place a few miles from here called the Sandjammer or something like that ... they had a fenced in acre of land behind the building. If you were driving by and saw Solo cups and cans ... that meant two things. One, sand volleyball. And two, there was an open keg in the back (normally a $10 spot to get back there.)

Confession: I can not play sand volleyball very well when I'm drinking.

Except ...

There was a place a few miles from here called the Sandjammer or something like that ... they had a fenced in acre of land behind the building. If you were driving by and saw Solo cups and cans ... that meant two things. One, sand volleyball. And two, there was an open keg in the back (normally a $10 spot to get back there.)

Confession: I can not play sand volleyball very well when I'm drinking.
Only exception I ever made to the Solo cup rule was while I was in T’town. SideTrack aka Slime Track aka Post 37 “$.05 beer night!”

Yea, being from Nashville there's a few clubs around here that had a terrible reputation when I was younger for gangs/violence and you just steered clear of those. I mostly spent time in country bars and stuff, but whenever a girl wants to go clubbing, what is a young 18-20 year old going to do?

People always assume coverup when it comes to Athletes but they rarely conclude that the DA is trying to make a name for themselves by going after a high profile case against an athlete. If Miller -had- been involved in some way or Bradley. They would've likely gone after them, why do a coverup that could cost you your jobs and get you in jail when you could get a life-altering arrest/conviction for sending a high-profile athlete to jail? You try a case like that and get a conviction you'd be the next leg-up for AG or a Judge candidate.

It's a completely dumb thought, honestly, to believe that a regular person in today's age would be willing to do a coverup for a student athlete when they could better their career by just doing the right thing and turning them in.
Right is always right. Whenever someone starts using words/phrases like "appearance", "optics", or "this is a policy decision", I just stop them and ask, "What do you think is the right and consistent thing to do?", or "Show me where I'm wrong."

There is nothing new under the sun. The right answer might involve consequences, repercussions or bad news, but it's still right.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I've talked to friends and family about wishing they could do their best to keep college towns for college students and family. I say this due to Athens being a town where a lot of non-college students go to party and prey on college kids usually causing fights, trouble, and other incidents because they simply aren't as "refined" with as much to lose as most college kids. I get it, it will never happen and is absolutely crazy, but in instances like this where you have older people mixing with younger people you have a ticking time bomb as you have different ideals of what you want from your night. Drinks with friends, looking for a late night, binge drinking, finding a girl/boy to go home with, or just to have a drink. Wherever a good responsible time can be had will eventually be found out by troublemakers and they will crash the party. No different than communities around the country and how they change over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom