| MBB/WBB UPDATE 9/29: New Patch article: Pre-Trial Immunity Hearing For Darius Miles Started Today

Folks need to cool their jets with both reporting and wild conjecture by fans and armchair experts. This isn’t a college kid getting clipped for DUI or swiping crab legs - this is murder. No law enforcement officer or district attorney is going to sweep things under a rug no matter how big a star is. If Miller was guilty of anything, he would have been picked up, charged, and had a hearing. None of that happened. This is nothing but optics at this point.

First off, legally speaking, he did not commit a crime. Unless they had reason to believe he knew what the gun was going to be used for. Since his testimony and other witness testimonies matched, the text messages did not implicate him, and the police investigated and found no evidence. I think it's likely that he effed up.

I also think it can be true that AL.com is misrepresenting the conversation in the text messages and doing their best to make this into a bigger story than it truly is. Which is why we only get their snippets of information about their exchange. I guess unless the court documents are released with text conversations we will never know what fully transpired.

Folks need to cool their jets with both reporting and wild conjecture by fans and armchair experts. This isn’t a college kid getting clipped for DUI or swiping crab legs - this is murder. No law enforcement officer or district attorney is going to sweep things under a rug no matter how big a star is. If Miller was guilty of anything, he would have been picked up, charged, and had a hearing. None of that happened. This is nothing but optics at this point.
Yep let this play out with the real facts. Then we can draw conclusions. It certainly looks bad as it is being reported but my gut tells me not everything has been reported and if there was evidence if him committing a crime he would be in jail. All speculation lets wait on the facts.

@BamaFan334 please edit the title! Miller made a hap hazard decision but as @Brandon Van de Graaff stated earlier, the weapon belonged to Miles, not Miller.
As I type this ESPN just sent notification that Brandon Miller allegedly “provided” the gun. I guess putting it all out there doesn’t get the clicks.
If Miles thought he was in trouble, his text could’ve been seen as needing it for self defense. What the actual text was, only the court knows as of right now. Miller made a poor decision either way.

I did, but at the time of posting people were saying it was his. Changed it though, and yes, a stupid decision.

There is zero evidence that he knew the gun was going to be used in a crime. The lead investigator even said today during the hearing that Miller's statements that morning lined up well with other witness and video evidence that they had. He's guilty of making a bad decision, of which we may never know the true intent of. But it is completely plausible that he thought Miles was in danger based on the stuff that had transpired and he assumed it was for self defense purposes.

Sorry man, don't agree with you. Why on Earth would you randomly bring a loaded gun to The Strip that time of day at the request of a friend? From a court perspective you're right, hard to prove that, but in the court of common sense, Miller deep down knew it wasn't just to show his friend a cool gun he had. Also, if a friend called me in trouble, I'm coming loaded and calling the cops, or I'm asking why on Earth he'd call me to bring him a loaded gun.

Sorry man, don't agree with you. Why on Earth would you randomly bring a loaded gun to The Strip that time of day at the request of a friend? From a court perspective you're right, hard to prove that, but in the court of common sense, Miller deep down knew it wasn't just to show his friend a cool gun he had. Also, if a friend called me in trouble, I'm coming loaded and calling the cops, or I'm asking why on Earth he'd call me to bring him a loaded gun.
Exactly.

I have no idea if he knew what was going to ultimately happen or not, but it is completely plausible that he thought Miles was using it for protection only... It was known at that time (according to the defense) that the victims were armed (turns out they were with at least 1 gun), and Miles and his friend were not (yet). Miller also had a dash cam that was recording, and unlike Miles, cooperated with the investigation from the jump. Again. no idea what he thought the intent was, and it was a dumb decision to do what he did either way, but his actions don't exactly peg the arrow towards criminal conspiracy.

Whether Brandon Miller did anything illegal or not this is definitely not a good look for the University Of Alabama or the basketball program. Unfortunately, perception is reality.
I completely agree with this. Some of that can soften when the facts come out but..... If this were a player for another team we would be all over it especially if it were a Barner player.

The tragedy continues to be that a person is dead and the family members have to live with that. Never need to lose site of that regardless.

I have no idea if he knew what was going to ultimately happen or not, but it is completely plausible that he thought Miles was using it for protection only... It was known at that time (according to the defense) that the victims were armed (turns out they were with at least 1 gun), and Miles and his friend were not (yet). Miller also had a dash cam that was recording, and unlike Miles, cooperated with the investigation from the jump. Again. no idea what he thought the intent was, and it was a dumb decision to do what he did either way, but his actions don't exactly peg the arrow towards criminal conspiracy.

Well no, I don't think he knew a girl would die, but he knew a bullet could fly. Otherwise, why bring the gun if you don't know what could happen. Gonna bring a baseball to play basketball with? So why bring a gun to a confrontation? Why associate no matter what the hell is going on when you're a Top 5 pick with that $20M waiting. Call Coach Oats and have him de-ecscalate.

Back
Top Bottom