| FTBL UPDATE 6/1: Tony Mitchell has been reinstated

“Everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions,” Saban said. “There’s no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
CNS showing leadership. He may not completely shut the door on a kid and gives second chances but he draws the line to say what is acceptable and makes it very clear that you should be careful who you hang out with. I believe Oats should have done something similar with Miller and Bradely for a game or two but of course the details of that are different so maybe it is hard to compare.

Direct or indirect, however you want to put it, this is a shot at Oats.

“Everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions,” Saban said. “There’s no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Saban said. “There’s no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

I get what he's saying if he's speaking about the accused, but it definitely sounds like the victim here in the shooting was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn't appear she did anything wrong out of her God given right to live her life and be anywhere she wanted to be in public at that time.

I get what he's saying if he's speaking about the accused, but it definitely sounds like the victim here in the shooting was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn't appear she did anything wrong out of her God given right to live her life and be anywhere she wanted to be in public at that time.

Oats was referring to Miller. Saban's not going to give his players an excuse like that unless it is 100% warranted. Here with Mitchell, 27g, 141mph...No.

People taking Saban’s “no such thing as wrong place wrong time” out of context as usual to say it was a shot at Oats. When he literally said in previous sentences that “everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions.”
Mitchell likely knew what this guy was about and chose to go along anyway. He then chose to speed at 141 mph in attempt to elude police. Probably pretty lucky that the cops didn’t jerk him out of the car and slam him to the pavement.

People taking Saban’s “no such thing as wrong place wrong time” out of context as usual to say it was a shot at Oats. When he literally said in previous sentences that “everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions.”

I get your point, and I hope you're right. With Coach Saban, however, most everything he says is calculated. This is too close to basketball incident to just be a coincidence. Just my .02.

Mitchell likely knew what this guy was about and chose to go along anyway. He then chose to speed at 141 mph in attempt to elude police. Probably pretty lucky that the cops didn’t jerk him out of the car and slam him to the pavement.

I don't see it as a shot at Oats. Why on Earth would he take a shot at a fellow Alabama coach in a sport he absolutely loves himself? Makes no sense to me to think Saban would come out on live TV and say such a thing as a shot to another coach like that. Just doesn't fit his style. Clear difference between the Miller and Mitchell cases as well.

I get your point, and I hope you're right. With Coach Saban, however, most everything he says is calculated. This is too close to basketball incident to just be a coincidence. Just my .02.
Coach Saban is way too calculated to make a gaff like that. If truth be known, Saban and Oats have probably had more than one conversation since all of this went down. His comments were most likely directed at all of those young kids that are coming in and for those already on campus.

I don't see it as a shot at Oats. Why on Earth would he take a shot at a fellow Alabama coach in a sport he absolutely loves himself? Makes no sense to me to think Saban would come out on live TV and say such a thing as a shot to another coach like that. Just doesn't fit his style. Clear difference between the Miller and Mitchell cases as well.
Agreed! A lot of people see it differently though. Especially those dumbasses in the media.

Saban will, and does, send messages to his team via the media, although sometimes I think people look a bit too deeply into that. Not saying this is one of those times, but Saban is very open and honest compared to most other coaches. You don't get a ton of coach speak. You aren't usually going to get a lot of long winded answers either, but if you listen to his words (and sometimes flush out the irritation that comes with them), much more often than not he's going to give an honest, solid answer to whatever is asked. One thing he won't do however, is throw assistants (or in this case, a colleague within the department) under the bus, especially publicly. He's just not going to do it, and he wasn't trying to do it yesterday. There is a 0% chance that Saban would purposefully shoot an arrow like that at Oats. The last thing he'd want to do is cause Oats more issues and bring more attention down on the situation as a whole, especially with him portrayed as a sniper. "Wrong place, wrong time" is you all know, is a common phrase for those type circumstances. That said, as stated by @BamaFan334, the 2 situations are completely different... not to mention the fact that Oats publicly acknowledged that he chose the wrong words and apologized the next time he was in front of a microphone that week. And also, I can guarantee you Saban has reached out to Oats and clarified.

But, it's a 48 hour story because the media is beating this Bama basketball horse, killing it, reviving it, and beating it some more because it is best for business. There were a lot of reporters in the room still yesterday when Josh Maxon walked back in to issue that clarification. To my knowledge, only 1 or 2 immediately sent it out. Rodak (Goodman's co-pilot), did not. He and al.com were too busy trying to edit the original comments to get some tik tok hits.

But, it's a 48 hour story because the media is beating this Bama basketball horse, killing it, reviving it, and beating it some more because it is best for business.
A place we've never been before.

It's day one of spring camp in Tuscaloosa and the media has its focus on the basketball program. A press conference, about Alabama football, turns to Alabama basketball.

Here's a Zippo, Coach Saban.

And from another point of view...

337032543_622406336444808_6515443250341980123_n.jpg

laugh-crying.gif

Back
Top Bottom