| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Nothing real earth shattering, but I said the other day I thought both were probably gone at the end of the season. That is still the case with O'Brien, more on that in a second. I'm going to backpedal a little bit on Golding. There are still reasons that I think he will be replaced, but was told today by someone well connected that it's much more iffy than it is a certainty at this point. One reason given was, Saban is firm in his beliefs that most of the issues this year on defense are a result of a lack of execution and mental errors (busts basically). It was also mentioned that if Saban doesn't feel he has someone lined up that he feels good about in terms of doing a better job, then he won't pull the plug on Golding... and as of today it isn't believed he has that (of course that could change).

On O'Brien, he's gone. In fact, the auburn game could be his last game as he is Georgia Tech's top target as of now. If he accepts that job, he will likely leave and take over immediately after the regular season ends next weekend. As most know, their new AD (J Batt) is from The University and is very familiar with O'Brien, so there's a connection there. Also, O'Brien has coached there before and the city of Atlanta is something that is attractive to O'Brien for family reasons. If he doesn't accept (or get formally offered) the GT job, he has an open job with the Patriots waiting on him, which he would take if he didn't get a more attractive offer elsewhere. If he waits on the Patriots or another NFL opportunity, then he will stay through the bowl game. A couple of other staff changes are highly likely as well, including the possibility of Sal Sunseri returning to his old spot.

Anyway, just a for what it's worth post. We will see how it plays out soon enough...

Nothing real earth shattering, but I said the other day I thought both were probably gone at the end of the season. That is still the case with O'Brien, more on that in a second. I'm going to backpedal a little bit on Golding. There are still reasons that I think he will be replaced, but was told today by someone well connected that it's much more iffy than it is a certainty at this point. One reason given was, Saban is firm in his beliefs that most of the issues this year on defense are a result of a lack of execution and mental errors (busts basically). It was also mentioned that if Saban doesn't feel he has someone lined up that he feels good about in terms of doing a better job, then he won't pull the plug on Golding... and as of today it isn't believed he has that (of course that could change).

On O'Brien, he's gone. In fact, the auburn game could be his last game as he is Georgia Tech's top target as of now. If he accepts that job, he will likely leave and take over immediately after the regular season ends next weekend. As most know, their new AD (J Batt) is from The University and is very familiar with O'Brien, so there's a connection there. Also, O'Brien has coached there before and the city of Atlanta is something that is attractive to O'Brien for family reasons. If he doesn't accept (or get formally offered) the GT job, he has an open job with the Patriots waiting on him, which he would take if he didn't get a more attractive offer elsewhere. If he waits on the Patriots or another NFL opportunity, then he will stay through the bowl game. A couple of other staff changes are highly likely as well, including the possibility of Sal Sunseri returning to his old spot.

Anyway, just a for what it's worth post. We will see how it plays out soon enough...
There's a guy currently at Georgia who'd be a perfect replacement. Glenn Schumann. The guy is a fantastic coach and has shown he's capable as a play caller. Their wouldn't be anymore busted, or miscommunication because he preaches simplifying calls and making sure everyone knows what their job is. He's also a great recruiter and developer of talent. We need to go get him.

Sorry but it's disappointing that Saban has that view of Golding. There is nothing he has shown in his entire tenure here as DC that leads us to believe he can field an elite defense. Golding has constantly been out schemed and the defense is always being unreliable in critical situations. Instead of rising to the challenge this seems, it seems more often than not, the offense will make a huge drive inside Alabama's territory and it comes down to the final play. His play calling against LSU should be enough for Saban to remove him. We have been above average with a stock pile of talent.

As the poster above said, Glenn Schumann would be well worth the risk.

As a reminder...

Nick Saban has said....in regards to the DC.....

2DBFD494-E982-4338-9C92-0461C74A9265.jpeg

I expectPG to be back atDC and i expect the same D for 2023...
Nick appears to be getting comfortable

Wow, disappointing! Was looking for a much needed upgrade here. The downward defensive spiral that began with Tosh continues...

There's a guy currently at Georgia who'd be a perfect replacement. Glenn Schumann. The guy is a fantastic coach and has shown he's capable as a play caller. Their wouldn't be anymore busted, or miscommunication because he preaches simplifying calls and making sure everyone knows what their job is. He's also a great recruiter and developer of talent. We need to go get him.
Doubt a lateral move would happen. Good play caller though!

I saw that rumor on Twitter. Came from a guy I have no idea if he is a credible source or not. Regardless, I don't know of another program that runs through special teams coordinators more than Alabama.

I'd seriously consider dropping my tickets if Golding isn't gone. I greatly appreciate the insight here, but you're not telling me South Carolina and Georgia hold Tennessee to less points and a more pedestrian look because they have more talent or smarter communicators. Tennessee smashed LSU in Death Valley and we know their defense isn't great,and our offense went blow for blow with Tennessee yet we muster 24 points in regulation. Saban is smarter than me when it comes to his team, but I'd take a gamble on an up and comer than continue to give Pete more leash. The fans are restless and he's admitted his defenses are too complicated. Only one way to fix that in my eyes, go a different direction. It's not like we don't have talent, so you're either hokding it back with your calls or you're not a good motivator to get that talent to produce.

I'd seriously consider dropping my tickets if Golding isn't gone. I greatly appreciate the insight here, but you're not telling me South Carolina and Georgia hold Tennessee to less points and a more pedestrian look because they have more talent or smarter communicators. Tennessee smashed LSU in Death Valley and we know their defense isn't great,and our offense went blow for blow with Tennessee yet we muster 24 points in regulation. Saban is smarter than me when it comes to his team, but I'd take a gamble on an up and comer than continue to give Pete more leash. The fans are restless and he's admitted his defenses are too complicated. Only one way to fix that in my eyes, go a different direction. It's not like we don't have talent, so you're either hokding it back with your calls or you're not a good motivator to get that talent to produce.
Age does weird things to a person physically and mental. CNS is 71 and unfortunately he and we as fans are on the downside of the Saban and Alabama dynasty. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have any gas left in the tank but each year it’s gets lower and lower.

PS: I’m a little older than CNS. I’m a healthy old man and there’s a big difference in 71 & 65.

Age does weird things to a person physically and mental. CNS is 71 and unfortunately he and we as fans are on the downside of the Saban and Alabama dynasty. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have any gas left in the tank but each year it’s gets lower and lower.

PS: I’m a little older than CNS. I’m a healthy old man and there’s a big difference in 71 & 65.

Yep, and I believe that as well. It's not a knock on anyone with age either. The new generation is making their mark with Kirby, Ryan Day, Kiffin, Lanning, Riley, Dabo, and others that still have a lot in front of them.

I might be a bit older too....lol
@BamaFan334

I really think the Bear got comfortable late with his staff and friends on staff...
Donahue and Moore. I hope Nick has the gas in tank to want and demand a different and extreme high level..he is recruiting at that level....so talent isnt a problem

He sees and knows more than me....but i see a bunch of players on D that will all be in the NFL...and a core this year that will be drafted pretty high....
And as a unit...they UNDER performed immensely
When he says PG did a really really (2 reallys) good job...ummm

UGA defense looks like Bama of old.....and they look hungry....
Bama looks un organized and tentative...

I'm curious... why are we comparing Bear to Saban? It was different era..Era... how they both handled things are completely different. You can't assume what Bear did back then is gonna be a reflection of what Saban will likely do. I really hate comparing both when it come to their ages. That's not fair at all.

I'm curious... why are we comparing Bear to Saban? It was different era..Era... how they both handled things are completely different. You can't assume what Bear did back then is gonna be a reflection of what Saban will likely do. I really hate comparing both when it come to their ages. That's not fair at all.

I think it's more of a mention of age and what it does to people. Just like athletes, age catches you and you can no longer perform like you did in earlier stages of your career. i don't think it has anything to do with the decisions they make, but more or less comments on how at an older age you're simply not in the same state of mind or place in your life as you once were.

I saw that rumor on Twitter. Came from a guy I have no idea if he is a credible source or not. Regardless, I don't know of another program that runs through special teams coordinators more than Alabama.
Notice Brandon said Sal Sunersi may return to the field. Hutzler coaches OLB. Golding handles ILB.

So if Sal is returning, Hutzler is out and Joe Cox takes on ST. Cox doesn't have experience coaching ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom