| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to see what Rees will bring to the table and how he will tweak the offense. People getting bent out of shape about his use of TEs! Well, when your best skill guys WERE your TEs, you got to use them!!
Heh...wont have that problem here. He may find one eventually. :p

Page 1, post 1, for those late to the party... And you've brought it up as well. After the dust is settled on the hires, I may add a little more on the Golding situation.

On Rees, I'd think folks would be a little more excited, or at least open minded, about the potential there. He's a physical attack guy. His pinned tweet is of a woman (fiancé maybe?) wearing a, "Run The Damn Ball" hat. He heavily involves the TE (with motion). He is well versed with RPO and up tempo. He understands how and when to use screens [side eyes at O'Brien]. Brian Kelly wanted him at LSU, which says something. Mario tried to get him at at Miami. Like anyone else high on Saban's list, he'd have come with high marks from people Saban trusts (like Ken Whisenhunt). He fits a mentality that is needed around the team... i.e. he isn't soft. And as a bonus, IMO, he'd be a Sark level recruiter (to compare to former OC's) under Saban.

Don't recall that, but analyst I'd imagine.
ND didn't start 2022 in top form, but improved through the season. Imagine what could happen if he had Alabama talent on the field.

He used those guys to create mismatches. Now we can see how he brings along our young QBs and see what he can do with some outside skill guys that can take the top off!
His offense closely resembles what Monken is doing at Georgia right now. I'm excited to see play that style of ball. We've got some pretty good tight ends right now as well for him to use. Can't wait to see what we do with them.

He used those guys to create mismatches. Now we can see how he brings along our young QBs and see what he can do with some outside skill guys that can take the top off!
Yep...this is why I'm saying he has his work cut out for him. They've got a lot of work to do.

I’m glad this new OC uses TEs. It’s a position I wish we’d thrown more to the last many years.

Saban has said this, but you can mismatch teams to death with good TE scheming. Look at NFL offenses and how they are utilizing them. Bama has had trouble (comparatively speaking to other positions) in getting elite TE's on campus in recent years. That ended, today.

Saban has said this, but you can mismatch teams to death with good TE scheming. Look at NFL offenses and how they are utilizing them. Bama has had trouble (comparatively speaking to other positions) in getting elite TE's on campus in recent years. That ended, today.
This is excellent point, and one of the things Saban wanted to get back to in first place. Look at Georgia.....

His offense closely resembles what Monken is doing at Georgia right now. I'm excited to see play that style of ball. We've got some pretty good tight ends right now as well for him to use. Can't wait to see what we do with them.
If that's what we get, then I'm happy.

If that's what we get, then I'm happy.
With the talent we have, it should. He gets the ball into his best players hands, and we have alot of them. Lot of 12-13 personnel formations in his offense, pre-snap motions to see what the defense is running, while also attempting to get them out of position pre-snap. I watched the Clemson game from this past season and they did a lot of this against them. They also bullied Clemson into the ground, Clemson had a great defense last season, and they pummeled them up front. Clemson had one of the best Defensive lines in the country last season, and they made them look like children. I'm excited, we've got a ton of great Offensive lineman at Alabama right now, and we just signed a massive O-line class (literally) this cycle. Wolford and his group are going to have a field day with this offense.

This is what I want to see.
Get ready, because you more than likely will. This style of offense will also help out defense out a bit as well. If we can get Pruitt, or Schumann.... it'll be a great mix for both sides of the ball. I know people do not like this hire because of the new narrative that "offense wins championships" and you can't play a physical offensive style of ball, while having a great defense.... but Georgia just did that shit twice, it's time we do the same. Get Pruitt or Schumann, and we're set.

In similar situations with personnel, both O'Brien and Rees were a lot alike in their offensive approaches this past season. The base personnel? Identical. There were some differences (like TE use as mentioned) but that was based on personnel—who were the playmakers. Both used a 3 wide set with a TE which occasionally morphed into what we all know as Bama's Ace set.

Coincidentally, the season before last gave both coaches more skilled players. The offense for ND, like O'Brien's at Bama, was among the national leaders in running and passing with efficiency numbers in the top ten. Again, running the same base personnel.

As you let that sink in ...

There is a benefit here for the offense ... it's an easier transition to a new coordinator: much easier than we saw with the Nuss to Kiffin transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom