Transferring to Dallas, TX.

bcracker

Mentis Splendidus
Greetings Brethren and Sistren of the RTB Republic!

I found out today that I'm leaving behind snow, frigid temperatures and, best of all, Buckeye fans! Hopefully for good. My apologies to @alabama mike. Although I'll no longer be suffering with you, I'll be thinking of you, and I will pray that the Good Lord will still your mind should you be tempted to climb a tall tower with a scoped rifle come pigskin time.

I'm transferring to Dallas, TX. It's not Alabama, but at least it's south of the Line.

If I'm not mistaken, a citizen of the Republic lives in Dallas. Is it @uagrad93?

I'll be working in Coppell, near the airport, and I'm wondering if we should look for a house in Dallas or Fort Worth.

Thanks, @planomateo

We should be out there in about four months.

We are looking at houses in the north Dallas area (Richardson, Carrollton, etc) and I wanted to make sure those neighborhoods are decent . Mama wants to be close to Dallas Children's Hospital for Ben. I've notice that things are kind of tight in those areas, though. How far out would we have to go to find some space and still be within a decent commute to Children's?

Also, what areas of Fort Worth are worthy of Tide fans?

Thanks, @planomateo

We should be out there in about four months.

We are looking at houses in the north Dallas area (Richardson, Carrollton, etc) and I wanted to make sure those neighborhoods are decent . Mama wants to be close to Dallas Children's Hospital for Ben. I've notice that things are kind of tight in those areas, though. How far out would we have to go to find some space and still be within a decent commute to Children's?

Also, what areas of Fort Worth are worthy of Tide fans?

Overall, I like living out there. I do miss trees and rolling hills/mountains. Hit me up when you get out here and I'll do everything I can to show you around - I mean that.

4 months, just in time to catch the game at Cowboys stadium...then go down to College Station for "an experience in weirdness, but good people"

School district is probably going to be your biggest restriction, once you figure that out, you can figure out where you want to live. We lived in Plano (hence my username) for the first 6 years, we've lived in Prosper for the last 7. I work in Plano, so when we moved out we focused on areas with 10-15 mins away (Plano, Frisco, Carrollton, Richardson, McKinney, etc). Most of the areas are pretty much the same, McKinney has a cool vibe/feel, there are lots of trees in the area.

• Get ready for tollways, the area has a few. Plano is almost surrounded by them at this point, the North, West, and South sides are all tollways. You can avoid them for the most part, but there are times when they are way more convenient to take.
  • Property taxes will be somewhere between 2% and 2.5% of your house value (what the appraisal district deems based on sales/appreciation, which you can fight and win with some effort). Here is a link that will give you an idea of what you'll pay per area http://www.davedowns.com/dallaspropertytax.htm. Also, just because you live in a city doesn't mean you'll go to their school district as there is overlap from adjoining cities. We lived in Plano but were part of the Frisco ISD (ISD = Independent School District).
  • Auto/House insurance is more expensive, the minimums in Texas for auto insurance was more than what we had in California.
  • There is no state income tax.
  • Plano just opened a Children's Hospital that is an extension of the Dallas one, I don't think it has the same level of care, believe it's missing NICU, CICU, and PICU. They will transport you to Dallas if needed via ambulance/helicopter.
  • There are no basements (believe this is due to the soil, really tough black clay), it's all poured foundations.
The older houses seem to have a bit more land, otherwise you have to go further out to find land. We're on about 1/4 acre and have a single floor 3,000 sq ft house.

I rarely go to Fort Worth to be honest, so I don't really have much input on areas to live around there.

Thanks @planomateo I may take you up on your offer.

We should be settled in in time for the Dallas game. We're already making plans to attend.

We've been looking in the areas you mentioned due to the proximity to the office and Dallas Chidrens. A colleague lives in Prosper so we'll probably look there as well.

Here in Ohio I not only pay state taxes, I also pay city income tax and taxes where I work, so the financial situation in Dallas will be an improvement, even with higher property taxes and insurance costs.

Thanks for all the info. It's helpful.

Back
Top Bottom