| LIFE Tim brings up something I think is an interesting question. How many items around your life rely on the Internet or Cell connectivity?

@TerryP and @It Takes Eleven today our internet went out twice. Both time wife was playing game on her Kindle and I was watch TV. The thing is sometime I had to unplug the FireTv to get it back up. When it does go down I just hit the power button. Just as I was writing this it go down. But we going have bad weather sometime soon.

Technically, none that rely completely on being connected either by cell service or by internet service. My computer will still work without internet connectivity. My phone will still work without cell service (I can play music and a few of the games I have on there). And my PS5 will still work without internet connectivity. Granted, one of the games I play wouldn't work as it requires internet to run, but the others I have on there would work just fine without internet. And I do have a smart TV, but it's not connected to the internet.

But for the sake of answering the question as it was intended:

Computer
Phone
PS5

I have a smart home, so damn near everything runs on cell, WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity.

Some farm equipment

My home is a “smart home” also. I have it all disconnected though.

I know a 12 year old that can screw with everything in your home…. So the only thing still connected is my garage cam and sensors. Security cams on a separate network “1st net”, along with my work phone and equipment.

None work related!

Strictly around the house.
If it happened just once, I'd probably read a book and do some work around the house, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm low tech with most home systems and gadgets, but it's not just about being wired around your home. If you were a homebody and not going anywhere, that's one thing, but what if you were on a trip, getting ready to fly?

Most places, you wouldn't be able to make a purchase (gas station, supermarket, etc.) without connectivity. There was a time thieves would steal gas by covering the satellite dish on the roof of a convenience store, keeping it from verfiying purchase amounts before authorizing. The store would provide a provisional credit, allowing them to pump, in some cases, hundreds of gallons of gas, then be on their way. Once they corrected their connectivity, they realized the cards were stolen, bogus, etc.

Businesses would not be able to move or track inventory. Remote medical services and collaboration would be disrupted.

I have a lot of stuff connected to wifi for some reason or another (everything from some smart plugs to a grill)... The only major one is my cell phone. If YTTV were to go out, I can use the antenna for locals. Now if the power grid goes down? Help me. Unless it's winter, then I'm all good... until I run out of food.

If it happened just once, I'd probably read a book and do some work around the house, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm low tech with most home systems and gadgets,
There's a lot of practical things I've helped people set up. Some, more than others.

If you have a built in sprinkler system? Yeah. No doubt.
Washing machines? Meh. I've done enough laundry to know about when it'll be done.
Stoves? In a sense, yes. It'll send alerts to overheating, things that prevent fires, etc. Now, turning your oven on an hour before you get home? That also means leaving the food in the oven when you are out...doesn't quite compute.
Thermostats I can see; there's practicality there.
I mentioned security systems.
Lights make sense. Say you are running late from work and don't want to walk up to a dark doorway?

I know an "Apple" guy who has several shirts that are IOT. That's ... well ... a little extreme. "Allow me to wear one more thing that tracks my every move, while you monitor ... "

At home - it's just my TV, computer, and cell phone. But of course banking is pretty much all online too, and that would fuck 99.9% of the world.

You'd all be happy to know that in the military, we do numerous exercises on what is called "degraded ops" to show we're capable of completing the mission with no internet, computers, etc.. So if China or Russia wants to drop EMPs and think it'll stop us, they'll still get their asses fucked.

Last edited:
At home - it's just my TV, computer, and cell phone. But of course banking is pretty much all online too, and that would fuck 99.9% of the world.

You'd all be happy to know that in the military, we do numerous exercises on what is called "degraded ops" to show we're capable of completing the mission with no internet, computers, etc.. So if China or Russia wants to drop EMPs and think it'll stop us, they'll still get their asses fucked.

I don’t have a ton of faith in our “ground” forces after the “excersises” a few weeks ago.

It was an absolute fiasco according to a captain friend of mine. Not to mention 2 suicides, an accidental death, and a young man’s leg getting cut off. The national guard troops actually wore them out….

Now he could just be frustrated by the performance, but I’ve have never seen him so discouraged over the abilities of our “ground” forces….

Back
Top Bottom