| NEWS Tiger Woods paired with Justin Thomas for first two rounds of Hero World Challenge

As his stature has rocketed the past season, it's rare for Justin Thomas to be upstaged on the marquee, particularly in his own pairing. But this is no ordinary pairing. Thomas, the reigning PGA Tour Player of the Year, will play with Tiger Woods during the first round of this week's Hero World Challenge. The duo will tee off at 12:05 p.m. on Thursday at the Albany resort in the Bahamas.

Woods and Thomas have never played together in an official PGA Tour event. However, Woods noted on his blog in September that he was competing against the 2017 PGA champ and Rickie Fowler in putting contests during his rehabilitation, with Thomas also stopping by to chip.

Woods, who runs the Hero event through his foundation, is making his return to competitive golf after 10-month injury sabbatical. The 14-time major winner last teed it up at the Dubai Desert Classic, withdrawing due to back complications from the overseas flight. He missed the rest of the 2017 campaign after undergoing surgery in April.

Tiger Woods paired with Justin Thomas for first two rounds of Hero World Challenge - Golf Digest

Justin Thomas has a warning for Tiger Woods ahead of his comeback

Tiger Woods will return to golf Thursday for the first round of his Hero World Challege, and there’s plenty of reasons for Tiger fans to be legitimately excited this time around. Tiger has said he’s surprised himself by how far he can hit the ball, Rickie Fowler revealed Woods is outdriving him, and Justin Rose reports that Tiger looks to be fully healthy.

Tiger’s biggest problem? He’s about to be thrown into a tournament with some of the best golfers on Earth, and none of them are coming back from a year-long absence.

Woods will play with Fed Ex Cup and PGA Championship winner Justin Thomas in the first round, and Thomas said that while he’s excited to have Tiger back, he’s going to try and kick Tiger’s [expletive.]

Woods will tee off at 12:05 p.m. ET alongside Thomas. The field also includes Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Fowler, Matt Kuchar, Henrik Stenson and Hideki Matsuyama. No pressure, Tiger.

Justin Thomas has a warning for Tiger Woods ahead of his comeback

I like all the 20 somethings in the new and latest golf movement. Justin obviously is one of my favorites. But they all seem to be texting buddies and seldom to they say or do much to create personal rivalries.

If Tiger and this is a big, big, if, ever get close to the dude that made him the best golfer ever, he won't be attending these guys after tourny parties in the Bahamas. More likely they will find themselves in a staredown and death roll as they stroll down the back nine. Tiger won't be texting, I want to beat your ass, he will share that info up close and personal.

Last edited:
Maybe that's a shot, but then again, look at how many schools' fans hold up We Want Bama signs. Tiger's not the same Tiger, but he's still Tiger. Now go kick his ass, Justin! RTR!

Nothing wrong with being competitive while also having a little fun. It was fun watching Tiger dominate the sport as it is almost impossible to be "on" that amount of time in a sport where every shot counts, literally. The issue I have with that asshole is that when things don't go his way he pisses in the punch bowl. He sulks, throws clubs, cusses in front of young children, and is a lousy person to be around per many sources. He does all of this, but also wants the attention and stardom and for everyone to love him. He was on a hot streak living a two faced lifestyle, got caught, and fell a part mentally and physically. Will there ever be another like him? Doubtful. They can get close to a Nicklaus or Bobby Jones, but they will never surpass their legendary status. Tiger is a fucking asshole, and I think he has been humbled beyond belief these last few years. Justin Thomas knows Tiger is in rarefied air, but that doesn't mean he has to sit there and stroke Tiger's ego in a press conference. Nothing wrong with joking and wanting to beat the other guy, even if your career hasn't captured the magic his has, yet.

Nothing wrong with being competitive while also having a little fun. It was fun watching Tiger dominate the sport as it is almost impossible to be "on" that amount of time in a sport where every shot counts, literally. The issue I have with that asshole is that when things don't go his way he pisses in the punch bowl. He sulks, throws clubs, cusses in front of young children, and is a lousy person to be around per many sources. He does all of this, but also wants the attention and stardom and for everyone to love him. He was on a hot streak living a two faced lifestyle, got caught, and fell a part mentally and physically. Will there ever be another like him? Doubtful. They can get close to a Nicklaus or Bobby Jones, but they will never surpass their legendary status. Tiger is a fucking asshole, and I think he has been humbled beyond belief these last few years. Justin Thomas knows Tiger is in rarefied air, but that doesn't mean he has to sit there and stroke Tiger's ego in a press conference. Nothing wrong with joking and wanting to beat the other guy, even if your career hasn't captured the magic his has, yet.

Well said!
giphy.gif

Tiger has paid his penance. Hope this is the start of a new player to come.

I'm not going to dinner with him so all the social stuff doesn't play into it for me. The old Tiger has everything to do with his new back, and so far, so good. These youngsters really have no history with Tiger and how he affects the crowds, just loud and different and it's a different vibe all the way around the course.

I'm not going to dinner with him so all the social stuff doesn't play into it for me. The old Tiger has everything to do with his new back, and so far, so good. These youngsters really have no history with Tiger and how he affects the crowds, just loud and different and it's a different vibe all the way around the course.

No argument there. It's just good for golf for both Tiger and Phil to be on their game. Good rating$ are one thing; following an exciting final round with a popular player is even better.

Back
Top Bottom