| CURRENT EVENTS The Unites State Space Force - The 6th military branch.

TerryP

Staff
I saw two of these a few days ago. It's not the first time.

Now, in case you missed it, part of this announcement included close to 100 F-35's. I mention seeing them because of a recent conversation with a friend wondering how many aircraft some of the members see every day. Military and commercial.

Sci-Fi fans have to be giggling a little; "Space Force." "I'm going to enlist in Space Force" we'll soon hear kids saying. Wild.

WASHINGTON—President Trump announced the creation of U.S. Space Command on Thursday, saying it will be a “different ballgame” for those who wish to challenge the U.S. in space.
The announcement establishes an 11th U.S. combatant command, which will draw forces from across the military branches much like U.S. Central Command overseeing the Middle East or U.S. Special Operations Command overseeing special operations forces.
The new “SpaceCom,” created at Mr. Trump’s behest, is designed to defend U.S. interests in space, in what Mr. Trump and others have called “the next warfighting domain.”
“I think that is pretty obvious to everybody, it’s all about space,” Mr. Trump said in a brief Rose Garden ceremony.
Mr. Trump pledged during his 2016 presidential campaign to establish the “Space Force” as a sixth branch of the U.S. military—alongside the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard—but has faced resistance from some Pentagon leaders and U.S. lawmakers who would have to approve its creation. The newest military branch, the Air Force, was created in 1947.
So Mr. Trump last year proposed its creation as Space Command, which doesn’t require congressional approval. Mr. Trump said his planned Space Force would come later.
Officials have said that establishing Space Command as a fully functioning combatant command likely will take time as the Pentagon melds existing organizations into the new structure.

because of a recent conversation with a friend wondering how many aircraft some of the members see every day
There was a question in there. :rolleyes:

I am curious. I see threads about TV reception, it led me to thinking about where some of you guys live, and then one thing led to another.

Here, it's common to see both Navy and Air Force aircraft. It's never a nuisance, but every once in a while it's loud. It's still something I stop and look at as an adult. It's still fascinating to watch.

When I was in the Navy, I saw and heard them all the time. Hell, for a few years I worked in the same building as Air Ops (where pilots filed flight plans). Kinda miss seeing/hearing them now that you mention it. At NAS North Island, they had S-3's which at the time were sub hunters, they sound like large vacuum cleaners, hence there nickname War Hoover.

To answer your question, I rarely see them these days. I was on a flight from MT down to TX last evening.

I've thought a few times about getting my VFR license, just seems like I'll get very little return on the investment. Who knows, I may get to the point where it's a bucket list item for me.

Back
Top Bottom