| FTBL The Punt

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date

What About the Punt on 4th and 10 with 2 and a half minutes left?

• Wrong Call

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard to say since I know the outcome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
RollTideRandy said:
Not criticizing, though I wouldn't have called it, just curious.

I thought it was the right call. Shula wanted the D to stop them and get the ball back with time on the clock for our O to move the ball. We just didnt get the job done but that was a chance he had to take at the time.

I was bitching about it at the time, but considering the offense couldn't move their ass with a tow truck it was the right call. Otherwise the volunqueers would have taken over on downs in good field position and pushed for another score.

ColoradoTide said:
I was bitching about it at the time, but considering the offense couldn't move their ass with a tow truck it was the right call. Otherwise the volunqueers would have taken over on downs in good field position and pushed for another score.

You are very correct Sir

Tideboy said:
nightflight84 said:
Certain teams just don't want to win....

You cannot be serious...

Yeah, you obviously didn't see the faces of Castille, JPW, DJ Hall, etc... Every one of our guys left their heart out on the field. They love the university and wanted nothing more than a win @ Neyland.

I just hope this will develop the young guys. I hope they will grow from this and NEVER want to repeat it again.

Tideboy said:
nightflight84 said:
Certain teams just don't want to win....

You cannot be serious...

What he meant to say was.......Certain teams just don't have good enough coaches to put together an offense that can generate a single first down in the 4th quarter (other than when the opponent is in prevent) to seal a game away.

ColoradoTide said:

Completely agree. Especially about the tow truck and our O.

I'm not sure it was the right call, BUT....it worked out okay in the end.

I didn't think it was the right call for a number of reasons, least of which has to do with the new clock rules. The last few minutes of the game have changed drimatically this year and this is not the Pros where the last 2 minutes can last for 15.

Keep in mind that had UT not gotten a penalty to stop the clock BAMA would have been in dire straights and may have gotten the ball back with something like 30 seconds on the clock while operating on their own 15 yard line or so. Luckily however UT got a penalty that stopped the clock and made the punt look like genius. That saved us atleast one timeout.

Given that UT only had to make 10 yards to seal the deal against us I think I might have just taken my chances. It's a tough call though. We played well enough over the entirety of the game but late we started blowing assignements and playing undisciplined.

The fact that we needed 10 yards on 4th down might have been the only thing that would have pusuaded me to punt. Had it been 4th and 5 I would have said that the punt was definitely the wrong call.

Anyway, it didn't hurt us. We stopped them. Problem is, we couldn't do anything once we got it back.

Maybe this whole thread is moot.

porkchop said:

I didn't think it was the right call for a number of reasons, least of which has to do with the new clock rules. The last few minutes of the game have changed drimatically this year and this is not the Pros where the last 2 minutes can last for 15.

The last 2 minutes of a college football game last way longer than the pros because the clock stops on a first down. In the pros the only way to stop the clock is to get out of bounds or incomplete pass. Maybe I am nitpicking but it caught my attention.

I agree with the rest of your post. It wasn't the right call. You have to give your team the best chance to win the game and, I believe that is with plenty of time on the clock without it working against you.

porkchop said:

Keep in mind that had UT not gotten a penalty to stop the clock BAMA would have been in dire straights and may have gotten the ball back with something like 30 seconds on the clock while operating on their own 15 yard line or so. Luckily however UT got a penalty that stopped the clock and made the punt look like genius. That saved us atleast one timeout.

Given that UT only had to make 10 yards to seal the deal against us I think I might have just taken my chances. It's a tough call though. We played well enough over the entirety of the game but late we started blowing assignements and playing undisciplined.

The fact that we needed 10 yards on 4th down might have been the only thing that would have pusuaded me to punt. Had it been 4th and 5 I would have said that the punt was definitely the wrong call.

Anyway, it didn't hurt us. We stopped them. Problem is, we couldn't do anything once we got it back.

Maybe this whole thread is moot.

I agree the new clock rules ( which are awful) makes the end of games much different. The UT penalty made the call look much better.

Had you rather have 4th and ten with 2 min left or 1st and ten with 38 sec left? Ill take the one down and the time.

I think that Bama should have gone for it for this reason. If Shula felt confident enough in the defense to give UT the ball back with 3 minutes or so left on the clock, why not go for it instead of punting?

If we had not gotten those 10 yards, UT would have had decent field position, but the defense had been stopping them consistently all afternoon, so why couldn't they have stopped them there? If we had gotten the first down, I feel certain we would have scored at least a field goal. I just felt like there was a lot more momentum for Bama at that point in the game than there was when we got the ball back on the 15 after the punt.

My point is, if you trust the D enough to punt it away from the 45 with only 3:30 left on the clock, you shouldn't punt, you should go for it. But, that's my opinion and perhaps why I'm sitting at this computer instead of watching game film in my HC office in Tuscaloosa! :wink: :wink:

EDIT

To confirm why I am not sitting somewhere watching game film, we punted from the 20, not the 45. Boy, do I feel stupid. :oops:

I missed the whole series, I was on my way to the hockey game.

Just curious, what were the three plays called previously that put us in a 4th and 10 situation? Any KD runs up the middle?

reger60 said:

Just curious, what were the three plays called previously that put us in a 4th and 10 situation? Any KD runs up the middle?

Alabama at 2:53
1st and 10 at ALA 20 John Parker Wilson rush for no gain to the Alab 20.
2nd and 10 at ALA 20 John Parker Wilson pass incomplete.
3rd and 10 at ALA 20 John Parker Wilson pass incomplete.
4th and 10 at ALA 20 P.J. Fitzgerald punt for 31 yards downed at the Tenn 49.

reger60 said:

Wilson ran for zero.

Wilson Incomplete.

Wilson Incomplete.

Punt.

Why do I feel you already knew this?

Back
Top Bottom