| GOLF The Players Championship at Sawgrass

The purse this weekend is zonkers. It's the biggest purse in PGA history with the top 36 pulling six figures.

1st: $3.6M
2nd: $2.2M
3rd: $1.4M
4th: $980K
5th: $820K
6th: $725K
7th: $675K
8th: $625K
9th: $585K
10th: $545K

I'd love to play right now. I might get in nine before dark...it's 20+ here...up to 45 mph gusts.
Lol. The way I slice the ball, if a 45 mph wind gust caught it, the ball wouldn't even still be on the golf course. Not enough other fairways to land on.

Edit: I should have said the way I used to slice the ball. Many many years ago I was at a driving range and the owner happened to walk by. Asked him what I needed to do to eliminate the slice. He said, "Son, you could have both arms operated on and undergo brain surgery and you would still slice the ball." Haven't played since.

Last edited:
In miserable conditions (30+ mph winds), Justin Thomas shot a bogey-free 2nd round 69 (-3) at the Players Championship, which he would later describe as one of the best rounds of his career. Despite the wind, Thomas hit 14 greens in regulation, and was 4.4 shots better than the field on the difficult back nine at TPC Sawgrass.

I find this interesting. Look at where the water starts to congregate in the middle of the tee box. It makes me wonder how much they extend that box for the tournament. I can see the farthest part—five or so yards deep it looks like—being all they maintain during the season: no water there. After all, how many are going to play this course from the tips?

FNqJNsKX0AEPChy

Under 100? For nine. :D
On that kind of day I'd think bogey golf as a goal. On several courses around here the goal would be keeping it below the tree line. You're still going to have some crazy shots.

In that video they break down yesterday's shots on 17 by how high the apex was and how many went into the water. In this thread you saw where JT had a bogey free round. If you look at the apex on these four shots you get a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom