| FTBL The contract breakdown right here

porkchop said:
Here's a nice link to the contract breakdown if anyone is interested.

It's very nicely broken down and you can see just how much money Saban is getting including the perks i.e. 2 company cars with insurance payed. I'm like Gattis. :roll: Come on Coach.

http://blog.al.com/chatter/2007/06/reading_the_saban_contract.html

I've seen employment agreements for $50,000 a year and some for substantially more. They never reach a point when they say "you're making enough money to cover your own perks." They always include typical perks. The plane use is a new one for me.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
porkchop said:

It's very nicely broken down and you can see just how much money Saban is getting including the perks i.e. 2 company cars with insurance payed. I'm like Gattis. :roll: Come on Coach.

I've seen employment agreements for $50,000 a year and some for substantially more. They never reach a point when they say "you're making enough money to cover your own perks." They always include typical perks. The plane use is a new one for me.

RTR,

Tim

I would have thought he would have gotten a lot more than just 25 hours though.

It Takes Eleven said:
porkchop said:

RTR,

Tim

I know Tim. Company car is a standard deal. I was just kidding about it since he's making 32 million. lol! The plane one is a bit odd though. I wonder why he has a 25 hour limit per year? I would have thought he would get unlimited use or X amount of use per month or something? Normally when you buy a Ferrari you're not overly concerned about the gas prices. in this case we're shelling out millions per year but we're limiting his plane access.

Not a big deal, I just thought it was odd. Maybe it's normal though. I havent had many jobs that pay 32 million. :(

The limitations on the plane use probably just concerns for personal reasons. If it is for UA business such as recruiting and what not, that is probably unlimited.

I would imagine that plane deal is for him to scoot in and out of Lake Burton in an easier fashion. 25 hours in that jet would provide plenty of round trips throughout the course of the year since Saban doesn't take much time off. That is just a guess though.

Bama Bo said:
The limitations on the plane use probably just concerns for personal reasons. If it is for UA business such as recruiting and what not, that is probably unlimited.

That is a good loop hole. Maybe every year he can "recruit" a player from the Lake Burton area, and save some of his plane hours up for later use! :D

I’ve been working in payroll a long time and I have had to deal with contracts that provide for personal plane usage. Those things are always a nightmare come W-2 time. Any personal plane usage has to be declared on your W-2 and you have to pay taxes for it. That means at the end of the year, you have to figure up the costs for all the trips and come up with the number a person will claim on their taxes. If I had to guess, I would say the 25 hours may be a convenience thing for the UofA payroll department. They probably put that in all contracts so that they can just put a number calculated to equal 25 hours of use on Saban and Mal’s W-2 so that they don’t have to delay mailing W-2s at the end of the year, trying to figure out how much plane usage everyone had.

Bama Bo said:

Yeah I know he'll use the school's plane for recruiting and what not. I just thought 25 hours seemed a little light for personal use, but I guess it's not. Most of Saban's trips will probably be either to his home or to the fishing hole, so I guess you can get a lot in with 25 hours.

"And if Saban becomes interested in another job, he must inform Alabama immediately when he or his agent is contacted about the job or must notify the school of his interest in that job."

I think this is a smart move because a coach cannot hide behind his agent and their shady dealings. Jimmy Sexton must have cringed at that part.

GoodScotch said:
"And if Saban becomes interested in another job, he must inform Alabama immediately when he or his agent is contacted about the job or must notify the school of his interest in that job."

I think this is a smart move because a coach cannot hide behind his agent and their shady dealings. Jimmy Sexton must have cringed at that part.

I bet that's more along the lines as moral, rather than a penalty.

Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

That is a good loop hole. Maybe every year he can "recruit" a player from the Lake Burton area, and save some of his plane hours up for later use! :D
There is no where to land that plane in that area. Closest airport that will allow that plane to land would be the one about 5 minutes from where I work in Canton where my owner keeps his plane. But if I get word he is landing there, I am going to get drunk and go welcome him!

Atlanta_Tider said:
Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

There is no where to land that plane in that area. Closest airport that will allow that plane to land would be the one about 5 minutes from where I work in Canton where my owner keeps his plane. But if I get word he is landing there, I am going to get drunk and go welcome him!

You haven't seen the new plane...

planeaj9.jpg

Porterhouse said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

You haven't seen the new plane...

planeaj9.jpg
Looks like the one I flew in last week!

Atlanta_Tider said:
Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

What? To give him a kiss and then get a DUI on the way home? :D

Bama Bo said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Porterhouse said:
Bama Bo said:

What? To give him a kiss and then get a DUI on the way home? :D
Nah, just to give him a big ole Roll tide :D :D :D

While you guys are discussing planes, trains, and automobiles, I'm much for interested in the important stuff:

"Article V starts on page 20 and covers termination of the contract. The short story here is that there is no buyout clause, such as the one in Shula's contract. If Alabama fires Saban, he still gets all the money."

Finally.....the U of A has made a real committment to a coach!!!!!!!! (che)

Back
Top Bottom