| FTBL The 2 minute offense

rolltyroll

Verified Member
It is very obvious to me why the two minute offense is working for alabama. If you look at what Applewhite did at Rice, you will see that about 70% of Rice's scoring drives were under 3 minutes. That's because Major runs that style of offense. It's what he knows. Early in the game he calls the prototypical sec offense that takes 6 minutes to score and his play calls aren't matching what he really wants to do. Maybe it is Saban that is making him do that......but either way it is a lose lose situation. If we go to the two minute the whole game, the thin defense will have to be on the field even longer than they have been before...so until JPW can throw down field and open up the running game again.....we are gonna be stuck with fourth quarter comeback touchdowns because that's when we have to score quickly....which is exactly what CMA offense is designed to do. I don't have the answers. But i do think i have hit the problem right on the head. What do you guys think?

The 2-minute offense is working, I won't argue with that. However, it is working when the opposing teams are playing a zone defense. They wouldn't be in a zone in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter, so I don't know if the 2-minute offense would be as effective at that time of the game, IMO.

that's a good point. It's probably a combination of a million things. I know we aren't supposed to throw our QB under the bus but i really wish he would let McElroy come in and try to throw some deep balls or something. Could he do any worse than what we have been seeing?

So what plays are we going to call from this "magical" two-minute offense that you want to run? Answer? The same plays we are failing to execute right now. How is making the situation even more frantic going to help the offense execute more efficiently?

The difference? Glad you asked. Right now, when we go three-and-out, our defense gets 2 to 3 minutes rest (plus two extra minutes with a TV timeout.) Go no huddle and that that rest gets cut in half. I don't think our depth-deprived defense would have any gas left in the tank to play the second half. Apply a little logic to this situation.

Not to mention what 37 explained. They wont be playing zone.

Lastly, if Greg McElroy were the best QB on this team, he would have been named the starter and half of the Bamanation would be wildly screamig for Wilson right now.

Go read Cecil Hurt's column right now and Roll Tide.
http://www.crimsontusks.com/about23956.html

As some brilliant person pointed out (No, no. Not me. Some other brilliant person), our 2-minute runs the same plays as our regular offense. Only difference is no huddle.

I won't get into credentials and know how, but I will enlighten those who wish to see Bama go "2-minute drill" early on.

One reason the 2-minute drill works is because the defense shifts into a 3 or 4 deep zone/prevent/umbrella coverage. They are willing to allow those 5-10 yard pops up the middle because time and history are on their side. They are not willing to get beat on a long ball, and they aren't pressuring the run because they can move up and stop it within 10-12 yards. A two-minute drill means that you're losing late in the game...period.

Back
Top Bottom