| FTBL The 12 team playoff might not be a done deal after all?

Davestwin

So which Bowl games will this effect? Talking about the 12 playoff system?
Depends on how they structure it. A rumor is that the top four would have a first round bye. The other eight would play in four games likely to be on home fields. That would leave eight teams. The Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Peach, Cotton and Orange Bowls currently rotate. So, four bowls could be used for the four games of the remaining eight teams and then the final four could play in the remaining two bowls. The championship would probably be played in a city that wins a bidding process (LA Sofi Stadium, Las Vegas Allegiant, Indianapolis Lucas Oil, Houston NRG, Tampa Raymond James or any of the Rose, Cotton, Orange, Peach, Sugar, Fiesta stadiums).

Depends on how they structure it. A rumor is that the top four would have a first round bye. The other eight would play in four games likely to be on home fields. That would leave eight teams. The Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Peach, Cotton and Orange Bowls currently rotate. So, four bowls could be used for the four games of the remaining eight teams and then the final four could play in the remaining two bowls. The championship would probably be played in a city that wins a bidding process (LA Sofi Stadium, Las Vegas Allegiant, Indianapolis Lucas Oil, Houston NRG, Tampa Raymond James or any of the Rose, Cotton, Orange, Peach, Sugar, Fiesta stadiums).
The top four having a bye is in the working group’s proposal. And as they mention in the article, any of the 5 - 12 teams will have played 17 games if they’re in the championship game.

I still think the 12 team play off talk was smoke and mirror to get folks to accept a 6-8 team play off. Which is more realistic IMO.

Truly a 6 team set up will give you a "truer" champion. Since the CFB started, you have had #4 win it twice I think. OSU and Bama did it. I honestly can't remember the fifth team in any year outside aTm, last year. They were absolutely skull dragged by us in the regular season and that was an easy argument IMO.

I said all that, to say this. Going beyond 6 teams really waters down the competition. I'm sure they will go to 8 at some point, but I'm willing to bet, statistically, that your champion, will come from your top 4 seeds once expansion takes place.

I still think the 12 team play off talk was smoke and mirror to get folks to accept a 6-8 team play off. Which is more realistic IMO.

Truly a 6 team set up will give you a "truer" champion. Since the CFB started, you have had #4 win it twice I think. OSU and Bama did it. I honestly can't remember the fifth team in any year outside aTm, last year. They were absolutely skull dragged by us in the regular season and that was an easy argument IMO.

I said all that, to say this. Going beyond 6 teams really waters down the competition. I'm sure they will go to 8 at some point, but I'm willing to bet, statistically, that your champion, will come from your top 4 seeds once expansion takes place.
But the #4 team has won the NC a coupleof times....
And the year it was between bama and osu (2017?) ....
#4 n #5....was close who would get in...as was last year with AnM....

I think "The Alliance" is pushing back on a 12-team playoff to punish the second or third place SEC team that would've been a lock under this scenario. That being said, I'm not in favor of a 12, 6 would be my tops with 1-2 getting a bye. In most years, two SEC teams would be in.

6 would be my tops with 1-2 getting a bye. In most years, two SEC teams would be in.
I like this scenario with the bye. Hence my argument that it gets watered down past 6 and I feel the competition of an 8 game play off is non existent. Plus, it is 1 possibly 2 games in which you get your best player hurt and could impact a championship game. D Smith getting hurt last year against OSU. How big would that have been against ND and have to turn around 10 days later and play another game?

Back
Top Bottom