| FTBL Texas Longhorns athletes: "will not be participating in the recruitment of incoming players or other alumni events."

18Champs

Texas Longhorns athletes are requesting the removal of "The Eyes of Texas" as the school song and changes to names of campus buildings in an effort to make the Austin campus more inclusive to the black community.

Without these changes, athletes said they would practice and participate in team activities but "will not be participating in the recruitment of incoming players or other alumni events."

"The recent events across the country regarding racial injustice have brought to light the systemic racism that has always been prevalent in our country as well as the racism that has historically plagued our campus," the athletes said in a statement, which was shared by several students on social media.

Among their requests are the renaming of four campus buildings that are named after Confederate or racist figures; more diverse statues by people of color; a permanent black athletic history in the school's athletics Hall of Honor; and the renaming of part of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium after Julius Whittier, the Longhorns' first black player.

One of the players who shared the statement was wide receiver Brennan Eagles, who had tweeted on June 3 that he was "not going to play another snap knowing what's going on in our society due to color and the system being broken. Let's look at the bigger picture."

Eagles did not say anything further on the matter until Friday's statement.

"I am always willing to have meaningful conversations regarding any concerns our student-athletes have," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a statement. "We will do the same in this situation and look forward to having those discussions."

"The Eyes of Texas," which is played before and after every Longhorns football game, has come under scrutiny in recent years because it was first performed in a minstrel show, which featured blackface performances, in 1903.

According to the Texas State Historical Association, the University of Texas board of regents reaffirmed "The Eyes of Texas" as the university's official song to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its first performance. It was performed by the Longhorn Marching Band at the funerals of Royal, the coach for whom Texas' stadium is named, and former first lady Lady Bird Johnson. A copy of the original lyrics was taken to the moon in 1969 by university alumnus Alan L. Bean.

Leslie Blair, executive director of communications for the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, told The Daily Texan last year that the school understands the concern with the song.

"We don't want to forget the history of it," Blair said. "It's important to keep it alive. The university is aware of its past, of course, and we try to acknowledge it and hopefully offset it a little bit."

The players requested the renaming of Robert Lee Moore Hall, Painter Hall, Littlefield Hall and the James Hogg Auditorium, along with the removal of a statue of Hogg, which had been removed from the university's south mall in August 2017 before being reinstalled in December 2018.

"We are aware of three petitions created by students and look forward to working with them and the UT community to create the best possible experience on our campus for black students," said J.B. Bird, Texas' director of media relations and issues management.

Moore, a mathematics teacher at Texas from 1920 to 1969, was a segregationist who refused to allow black students to take his classes for many years.

Theophilus Painter served as UT president from 1944 to 1952 and was noted for denying entrance to the Texas law school for Heman M. Sweatt, a black student who met every requirement for admission except race. The decision led to a lawsuit, Sweatt v. Painter, which ultimately forced the school's admission of black students in 1950.

Former Texas president George W. Littlefield previously served as a Confederate Army officer and proposed the fountain bearing his name to honor the Confederate war dead -- though it was later changed to a World War I memorial -- while also commissioning three more Confederate statues, including of Robert E. Lee. He also built a women's dormitory, Littlefield Hall, to be named after his wife, Alice. The three Confederate statues were removed in 2017, along with another Littlefield-era statue of James Hogg, whose legacy as governor includes signing the state's first Jim Crow laws, such as one forcing the segregation of railroad cars.

Hogg's statue was later reinstated in Hogg Hall by university president Greg Fenves, who acknowledged the controversy but noted that Hogg passed the state's anti-lynching law and said, "Governor Hogg and his descendants made many contributions to UT Austin and to the state."

Tim Herman has gotten so lucky because all of this detracts from his poor tenure in Austin. They guy they played to get Herman just won a Natty, and Herman ain't even close to winning his conference. I can't stand the guy. Because I see him as an arrogant bastard.

Tim Herman has gotten so lucky because all of this detracts from his poor tenure in Austin. They guy they played to get Herman just won a Natty, and Herman ain't even close to winning his conference. I can't stand the guy. Because I see him as an arrogant bastard.

I think it's pretty clear he is vastly overrated.

I don't have a problem with it.

Ultimately CF is a big business. Business is run be leverage. The players are using their leverage in this scenario to accomplish things of importance to them. Nothing malicious in those requests... Although obviously opinions will vary on the substance.

I also agree with @mando that I'd expect these types of changes heading across the country. Although UA kind of got ahead of some of this stuff if I read correctly, with the renaming of certain stuff on campus? It appears 2020 is a year of change...

Ultimately CF is a big business. Business is run be leverage. The players are using their leverage in this scenario to accomplish things of importance to them. Nothing malicious in those requests... Although obviously opinions will vary on the substance.

I also agree with @mando that I'd expect these types of changes heading across the country. Although UA kind of got ahead of some of this stuff if I read correctly, with the renaming of certain stuff on campus? It appears 2020 is a year of change...
Year of change...I would say...!!

Musing here for a minute ...

Alumni and boosters are a vital part, the lifeblood of the Texas program. A players availability for these events is a part of their being a member of the Texas football team, right?
It's no different with recruiting help...it's the lifeblood of every program; another essential part of their role as a player.

In conversations about coaches leaving and players transferring you've often you've made comparisons; "if one can leave, so can the other." While this isn't the best analogy how would you feel about a member of the coaching staff saying, "I don't want to recruit." (It's happened, by the way, at Bama under Saban when Steele didn't want to recruit anywhere other than Birmingham. He was gone a year later.)

The fan base at Texas is melting in upon itself. Some of the fans don't give a damn about the song while a significant group of others point to the 100 years of tradition. Some have gone as far as saying "if the song is gone, so am I."

What Brennan Eagles is saying here is something I believe we can empathize with but I'll admit I've a problem with the appearance. To me, it strikes me as avoiding team responsibilities.

The folks that will make the final decision is those that buy the tickets. Those folks haven't spoken yet. I guess you can keep pushing until you meet Mr. and Mrs. Resistance. Over these last several years I find myself drifting from college football but I am old. These past 3 months without sports bothered me until it didn't. There isn't much Class in any sports these days. Plenty of look at me though.

All the liberals at Austin must be really proud today.

Alumni and boosters are a vital part, the lifeblood of the Texas program. A players availability for these events is a part of their being a member of the Texas football team, right?
It's no different with recruiting help...it's the lifeblood of every program; another essential part of their role as a player.

In conversations about coaches leaving and players transferring you've often you've made comparisons; "if one can leave, so can the other." While this isn't the best analogy how would you feel about a member of the coaching staff saying, "I don't want to recruit." (It's happened, by the way, at Bama under Saban when Steele didn't want to recruit anywhere other than Birmingham. He was gone a year later.)

The fan base at Texas is melting in upon itself. Some of the fans don't give a damn about the song while a significant group of others point to the 100 years of tradition. Some have gone as far as saying "if the song is gone, so am I."

What Brennan Eagles is saying here is something I believe we can empathize with but I'll admit I've a problem with the appearance. To me, it strikes me as avoiding team responsibilities.

My problem with it is they are once again choosing to rinse, wash, and repeat. Minorities say years of being held down, lack of education, lower paying jobs, and the continuation of poverty, yet we have here is a good group of minority players that are giving up this golden opportunity to bump that narrative over a dang song. I'm of the Sticks and Stones ideology, so a song isn't hurting my feelings and making me potentially give up my future. I'm not saying bow to anything you don't feel comfortable with, but you sure as hell didn't seem to mind the song while you were being pampered and recruited and wearing the Longhorn logo the last number of years. You feel embolden, I get it, but don't sacrifice your future and potential future of your future generations family wise over words. These guys have an opportunity that most of us will never have, go to college for three years and become an instant millionaire. Or be given a job by these same boosters making killer money.

I'll keep the same energy in both circumstances.

For the players OR the coaches - The ball is in the University of Texas' court.

The coach who doesn't want to recruit can lose his job.

In the same vein, Texas doesn't have bring back these players on their athletic scholarship. They can try to "upgrade" if they prefer.

But.... They won't. Like I said - Leverage.

Back
Top Bottom