Talk Me Out of It

XXL TideFan

I found this antique double walled copper vessel in a junk/antique shop in Sheffield, AL. The mad scientist in me is wanting to polish it up and turn it into a monumental smoker. Heavy gauge copper, the lid feels like it weighs 25-30 lbs and it is just air between the walls. I was thinking about filling the air space with sand for insulation. Holds about 40 gallons internal. Guy is asking $400.....thinking I could get him down to $300.

1619343_507783492659824_1184795705_n.jpg

You'll need some way to manage air through those double walls - perhaps the spout will give you enough air flow and you can regulate it with the valve. A lot of effort to convert it, and it'll still just be a vertical smoker (without stackable access) unless you radically alter and put a firebox off to the side. Also, can you tell its previous use? With the side entry collector (if I'm seeing it right), something was produced, rendered or brewed to end up in your pot. Do you know if it was food grade stuff? Can you see typical lead solder along the seams?

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom