| FTBL Suttles Mailbag: Which true freshman plays big?

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Aaron Suttles
TideSports.com Senior Writer

Which true freshman do you expect will see quality time this season?

Damien Harris will be called upon, in my opinion. How much he is, though, depends on how quickly he learns blocking schemes/responsibilities or how much he's willing to block. That skill took Derrick Henry a while to get a handle on. These star running backs aren't asked to block in high school, so although it sounds simple, blocking can keep a guy from getting on the field. Calvin Ridley is another guy that I think can make a difference.

Who do you think will be the starting quarterback will be? And if it's Coker do you think he will be on a short leash?

At this point I think David Cornwell will be the starter. Depending on who you talk to, Cornwell was on his way to winning the job before a disastrous spring scrimmage (not A-Day) put that on pause. I like what I've heard with the chemistry he's building with other players, too. Jake Coker isn't going to lie down and go away. He shouldn't. He can win the starting job. But to do so, he needs to make quicker reads and smarter decisions. But he has all the arm strength to make all the throws.

Do you see tony brown being a lot more consistent this year. Really love his upside and offensively… do you see Calvin Ridley getting a lot of PT?

I do. I love Tony's athletic ability. It's not his play that's been the root of his problems. I can't say much more than that, but you can figure it out. I've heard some describe him as the best pure athlete of the Nick Saban era at Alabama. Think about that for a second. To even have that said about you, even if it is hyperbole, says a lot. He's physical and fast, and that's a great combination to have as a cornerback. See above on Ridley.

Where can I find a good deal on tires?

Postle's on Jug Factory Road. Tell them Roscoe sent you.

Other than QB, give me your top 3 position battles, who are the contenders and who do you think wins the job at each of those three? Who do you see being first back deep in the return game, both KOR and PR? Does AG have his confidence back and do we see a more consistent season from him this year or could we see a change in either of the kicking positions - place kicker or field goals?

1) Safety 2) Linebacker 3) Wide Receiver…I have a good feeling that Geno Smith and Eddie Jackson start off the season as the safeties, but that might be a fluid situation. I'm the guy that never likes to put too much pressure on a freshman, but Ronnie Harrison is a player. I also continue to be intrigued by Maurice Smith (I don't know why, I just am). The good thing with the secondary is that while it won't be as physical as it was last year with Landon/Jarrick it will be better in coverage…I put linebacker on the list simply because there's so many good linebackers, especially outside linebackers that it's hard to keep them all off the field. Ryan Anderson really blossomed last year and I've heard great things about Tim Williams….When you lose your top three wide receivers, of course that's going to be a position everyone will watch throughout the fall. Robert Foster is capable of putting it together and having a breakout year. So is Chris Black. If you've read my opinion on the subject, you know how highly I think of ArDarius Stewart, who I think could have the biggest year of them all. Then there's the x-factor of Calvin Ridley….As far as Adam Griffith, I'll have to see it to believe. The thing with field goal kickers is it almost doesn't matter what they do in practice. It's how they perform in the game.

Injury Update?

Grant Hill will not be with the team this fall, but he is back in school. Jonathan Allen should be fully healthy. Bo Scarborough will play this season. Cam Sims is likely to miss the year (they're not rushing him back).

Has C. Miller added enough weight to be a viable candidate for PT?

He's a player others have raved about to me. Lot of talent in front of him, but he could be elite. He might be a year away.

Does the fact that D. Hand is struggling to hit the field (as he should with the talent level above him), does that seem to hurt us on the recruiting trail with the DL guys?

I don't think so. And if a guy doesn't go to a school because he's afraid of competition, what does that say about that player? And believe me, Alabama uses that in recruiting pitches.

And last, Devall or Anderson, who wins out for the position?

I like Anderson better. To be fair to Devall, he has struggled with injuries. I like how Anderson gets to the quarterback, and I love how he sheds blocks.

Has there been a player that has really impressed the coaching staff, and I mean like the way Marcel Dareus did in the spring of 2010 when people referred to him as unblock-able? Or like last year when people said Cooper was un-coverable.

Two words: Kenyan Drake.

What's your take on the D-line rotations for this year?

My take is that the Alabama coaching staff considers itself to be beyond blessed to have the kind of depth that goes three deep, and that's no exaggeration. In all seriousness, Jonathan Allen and A'Shawn Robinson are going to be hard to keep out of the lineup. Same with Jarran Reed. Then there are great talents like D.J. Pettway, Dalvin Tomlinson, etc….the list goes on and on.

Any news on the competition at ILB between Hamilton and Foster?

I think Foster wins the job, but he needs to play smarter for his health and for the consistency of the defense.

How will OJ Howard be utilized this season?

Heck if I know. I thought he'd be a mismatch that Kiffin would ride last year, but that never materialized. It's clear Kiffin will ride Drake for as many mismatches as he can get this year. Howard needs to improve his blocking to stay on the field. He's a great talent, but just hasn't been utilized that much.

What's been the theme in 7on7 this summer? QB's playing well or not? DBs letting several receivers behind them?

The story I've gotten is that the defense has won the majority of the battles. Of course, that all depends on who you talk to.

Will Alabama be he home team in Dallas vs Wisky? What matchup in this game scares you the most. Which one do you have the most confidence in?

Alabama is the home team. My thought about the game is that Wisconsin's strength is Alabama's strength. That is, running the football versus stopping the run.

Will Adam Griffith get back to his old self like before his injury around Florida or Ole Miss? Did his back ever really heal, or was it more mental after he began his skid?

He was definitely injured, and you can't help but think that his struggles due to the physical became mental at some point.

Is this the year LB Dillon Lee finally breaks out?

We seem to ask this every year. I think he'll have a solid season, but not a breakout one.

- See more at: https://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1787148#sthash.Gtx5sIP1.dpuf

I'm pumped to see Kenyan back on the field. Made me sick to my stomach for two days when he got hurt. Pumped to see him back.

I figured we would be hearing great things about Rashaan Evans, but mums the word on him lately. I think he will be explosive for us. I can't wait to see what we trot out in Fort Worth.

Great write up. Thanks for posting.

IMO Ronnie Harrison will play the most as a FR. Saban will ride Henry.

Sounds like Kiffin has himself a new toy in K. Drake. If Cooper gives us any indication of how he uses his best player, that man will go off this year.

Tony Brown might be kind of a lunatic. Maybe Saban can straighten him out

The Grant Hill thing is just sad... He would have likely been a 3 year starter and great draft prospect. I hope he gets better.

Hoping Tim Williams and/or Ryan Anderson beat out Devall. Some great talent at that spot

RTR

Back
Top Bottom