| OT đź“şđź“ˇ Streaming Alabama sporting events: DSL, Starlink, and your other options.

DSL is garbage for a lot of people they sell it to. It 100% depends on distance. Anything past 1 mile from the DSLAM can start showing horrible drops in speed. So usually it is only good in populated areas or those close to where they think a DSLAM is profitable.
Yeah typically 5000’ is the max, a lot of areas served by a DSLAM have been converted to a VRAD and using “bonded pairs” to get upwards of 15-mbps

Another full bunch of conversations that i find my self totally....lost on!!!!!!!?
5MBs...DSLAM...DSL rocks a .3 Mbps upload ( really!) .... etc
To give you the condensed version:
I've had DSL (Damn Slow Link!) AT&T only thing I could get in the woods in Blount Co. Alabama.
I now have Starlink (Satellite Internet) - extremely fast!
Can stream sports & stuff now.

To put in a way you'll appreciate:
Yesterday my internet was Josh Heupel
Today it's Nick Saban!

I am running on a PFP with at&t at 300mbps. However I’m building a new house and will lose that. Trying to sweet talk some engineers and planners to get some fiber (pfp) placed. The at&t U-verse internet is really the best thing going right now. My brother get a full gig at his place

@50+yeartidefan google is your friend. I spent 2 decades in the telecom designing and building last mile equipment like DSLAM and other telecom equipment (routers/switches/Remote Gateways/ONT's/IAD's). Things have quickly transitioned to fiber aggregations devices called OLT's that can do up to 10Gbps. Uplink speeds are 100G or 400G so it can aggregate all of those 10G links. DSL is a relic unless you are in rural areas.

I am running on a PFP with at&t at 300mbps. However I’m building a new house and will lose that. Trying to sweet talk some engineers and planners to get some fiber (pfp) placed. The at&t U-verse internet is really the best thing going right now. My brother get a full gig at his place
I wish AT&T thought something of our area. We have three providers. Two have Gigabit. AT&T offers us 5 Mbit. Seriously. And people still subscribe to them even though you can get 100 Mbit from the others for the same price.

Rural areas take it on the chin on internet. Either the service sucks or it is stupid expensive. Starlink is going to make a huge improvement for those of us with limited options while cluttering the sky with short term satellites.
Yeah, the sky pollution is pronounced, also curious how quickly the rates will kick up once people get settled in with it. Amazon is planning a competitor low earth orbit array of satellites.

When I built my new place now three years ago, I didn't run any cable or phone from the street. They wired the house, and I've yet to use any of it. I was holding out thinking that home 5G might be a decent option, but Hargrave came in and bought out a smaller cable company and they've upgraded things significantly for rural speeds, so I may end up doing that next year.

Two questions. Does starlink have an option for a static ivp4 address? Some apps need ivp4. voip as an example. Is lightning an issue if mounted high on a pole?
CGNAT IPv4 only, with no option of static IP. There FAQ does say they plan to support it later.

What IP address does Starlink provide?
Starlink today currently provides a DHCP issued Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) non-routable IPv4 address in the 100.64.0.0/10 range.
Note - as Starlink continues to expand and upgrade our global internet service infrastructure and rollout new capabilities, some users may see different IP address behavior (ex. publicly routable addresses, IPv6, non-CGNAT)

Will Starlink provide a publicly routable DHCP or Static IP IPv4 address?
Yes. Starlink plans to support this functionality in the future. We do not yet have an estimated time when this will be available to customers.

CGNAT has a lot of issues with this. Often you don't have one public IP anyway as they route you through different external internet connections based on a myriad of things. You might be seen to Google.com as one IP then RollTideBama.com as a completely different one.
Wonder if it passes cloudflare security issues. Ddos attacks have made business sites very very security paranoid

I have been on the road the past couple of weeks. However, I was able to see about 12 minutes of the fourth quarter
through my Dish network account. But it was kind of stop and go due to poor WIFI connection at the hotel where I was staying.
I travel with a Macbook.

Wifi is just a stepping stone. The cellular carriers could own the access if they really tried. There are a few companies around here buying fiber access in a neighborhood and deploying private wifi. They build a tower or rent space. The risk vs profit is high. Our government is granting money for rural areas but I don't see companies jumping on it....JMHO Starlink is the future but has a way to go.

Wonder if it passes cloudflare security issues. Ddos attacks have made business sites very very security paranoid
As long as Starlinks external IP are not being used for DDOS activity it would pass Cloudflare. I know for sure that some folks are using Cloudflare Tunnels to allow access externally to their systems and/or host sites while on Starlink, which I expect they would stop if the external IP were on a list at Cloudflare.

EDIT: Actually a quick search shows that some Starlink IP may be blacklisted or at least greylisted (require more Captcha and such) in some systems on Cloudflare.

Wifi is just a stepping stone. The cellular carriers could own the access if they really tried. There are a few companies around here buying fiber access in a neighborhood and deploying private wifi. They build a tower or rent space. The risk vs profit is high. Our government is granting money for rural areas but I don't see companies jumping on it....JMHO Starlink is the future but has a way to go.
I sure see none around here ...and we are rural...big time..

Back
Top Bottom