| FTBL Stabler found "Not Guilty" on DUI charge...

They said on TV this morning that all charges were dropped due to a lack of evidence. I hope that the Snake can right his ship and get on board again with us.

It seems that a technicality was found which got Snake off the hook. I hope that he has dealt with the underlying issue, his drinking problem.

Does he go back to the booth next week?

And I'm not too sure this was BS, Optimus. He really fought this one from the beginning. He knew it wouldn't stick and took this charge to court where he won. I want him back in the booth quick.

Optimus said:
Well money talks and B.S. walks. Must be nice.

If money talks, it was someone else's money. He is broke and still owes a great deal of money to the IRS. His ex-wife, Rose, has agreed to sell her house on Ono Island to help pay his back taxes.

Chuck-E-Cheeze said:
Does he go back to the booth next week?

And I'm not too sure this was BS, Optimus. He really fought this one from the beginning. He knew it wouldn't stick and took this charge to court where he won. I want him back in the booth quick. (emphasis added)

The key phrase being 'this one.' I still have a problem with UA employing in essence in a public relations job someone with TWO DUI convictions.

If I were a current football player with two such infractions and arrested for a third, I would have a real problem if I were kicked off the team for my transgressions. Afterall, if it is okay to hire and retain Stabler with such a record why am I expendable? And as a fan, I would have a real problem if the coach did not kick the player off the team following the second conviction.

I am fairly confident that if Kenny Stabler was 'Keith Session' who was a Shortstop for Hayden Riley in the 1960s with two DUI convictions and was the color man for the UA Baseball radio crew that he would not be employed by UA.

You know, we always speak of honoring the Bryant name and tradition and legacy at UA, but it seems what we really mean is excusing anyone connected to Bryant's name and tradition and legacy. The people that have done the most damage to our name and reputation in recent years have been Bryant pupils - and we refuse to hold them accountable in any real way.

This disappoints me greatly.

I love me some Kenny but you dont refuse a breathalyzer unless you have been drinking. I have lost a lot of respect for someone whom should have owned up for what he did. He could have killed someone. Now with that said perception is everything. I do not want him as a commentator with Alabama.

He had his time in the spotlight and that was in a different time. He was fortunate to slither away from this charge. DUI cases are more difficult to prosecute than a murder case...alot of BS technical aspects. He was drunk...no doubt..played the system with a smart DUI attorney and won the case. That lawyer had to cost well into 5 figures...and you are right..that money came from somewhere else probably. He is not respectful of himself and when you cant do that....how can he be a postive influence on our players and football program :?: Not to mention the entire university as a whole. I would respect him if he would admit that he has a problem with alcohol and was doing something to deal with that...but instead, he chooses to pay a fat cat attorney and play the system. No honor there with me...I just assume see him walk away and never look back.

Why don't we just have the university pay for him to have a full-time driver. Seriously, he could get loaded in the booth, on the plane, wherever he wants. I just want to hear him back with Eli. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. :wink:

Southern Bama said:
He was fortunate to slither away from this charge. DUI cases are more difficult to prosecute than a murder case...alot of BS technical aspects. He was drunk...no doubt..played the system with a smart DUI attorney and won the case.

Normally, I would say that someone tried and acquited has not 'slither(ed) away' but actually found 'not guilty.' (Obviously there are some exceptions - OJ Simpson for one.) Usually, I just presume that evidence of guilt was insufficient.

But, in this case I tend to agree with you after reading the AP report. Of particular note from the story is the following...

(Municipal Judge James Sweet) said Stabler refused to take a breath test. Sweet ruled that police did not observe Stabler for the entire time before the defendant was asked to take the test and would not allow the refusal to be entered as evidence.

So, Stabler's refusal to take the test was not allowed as evidence because Stabler was not under observation at all times between being arrested and asked to perform the test?

What could have occurred between the arrest and the request? Would Stabler, having been stopped for DUI but not have been drinking up to that point, suddenly drink alcohol after being stopped? Was the judge afraid that this possible post-arrest consumption of alcohol would result in the breath-test showing alcohol in Stabler's system but there being some doubt if that alcohol was present at the time of the arrest or came later?

Either the judge is an idiot or suffers from celebrity-worship or the law is very poorly written.

In any way, Stabler just received the hail-maryest of all hail-mary's. Whatever he paid that attorney - or judge, was money well spent.

And the judge just took a huge step at putting the citizens of South Alabama at physical risk. He has come close to gutting the concept that refusing to take a breath-test is admissible evidence of guilt in all DUI cases.

Chuck-E-Cheeze said:
Why don't we just have the university pay for him to have a full-time driver. Seriously, he could get loaded in the booth, on the plane, wherever he wants. I just want to hear him back with Eli. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. :wink:
Yeah, the hell with responsible and civil behavior as long as it does not interfere with your Alabama football experience.

I agree that Snake and Eli compliment one another on the air. Whether Snake should be asked back is a different story. After all, he is representative of Alabama football. Is this who we want representing us? Is this who Coach Saban wants representing us?....Doubtful. Right, wrong or indifferent, he is part of our school's history during the glory years.

Also, after listening to the awbern announcers, you have to realize how good we have got it (as far as announcers/color guys go). Nobody paints a better mental picture than these two...especially Eli. The barn announcers are AWFUL! I'm not saying that because I hate awbern..I'm saying it because they sound like a couple of eighth-graders broadcasting from field-day. They absolutely suck. They whine and ask for flags to be thrown and the only line they have to describe a play is "shot out of a cannon." Makes me wanna puke. At least someone in our booth has actually played the game and has some insight as to what the players may be thinking or feeling at any given time.

TigerBait3 said:
Put him back in the booth. He made a mistake and people are trying to help him with it. No need to end his career.

I agree with TB! He made a mistake and yeah I hope he has fixed the underlying problem but I really miss hearing him in the Booth with Eli. If they can find a perfect person then put that person in the booth, but when that search fails go back to the Snake because he really does add something to the broadcast.

Kevin4Bama said:
Optimus said:
Well money talks and B.S. walks. Must be nice.

If money talks, it was someone else's money. He is broke and still owes a great deal of money to the IRS. His ex-wife, Rose, has agreed to sell her house on Ono Island to help pay his back taxes.

That's not the point at all, it's the 3rd time for DUI. That's the point Kevin, now do you think you or I would be let go. Hell no, as for money, I'd bet the man has more than any 2 combined on this board. I don't think he's "BROKE" by any means? I'd also be willing to bet not living in the poor house either.

Back
Top Bottom