| LIFE So, the Memorial Day weekend has come and gone; summer is "officially" upon us now. To all the parents who think teachers are the lucky ones

bama alum

So, the Memorial Day weekend has come and gone; summer is "officially" upon us now. To all the parents who think teachers are the lucky ones who leave work at 3:00 each day, who are glorified babysitters and/or overpaid bums who get summers off (yes, this stupid way of thinking is still out there), this pic is juuuuuuuuuust for you.
Cheers, babe!

@bama alum, a friend of mine's daughter just graduated from Wofford with a teaching degree. This, in the middle of protest at in Columbia over teachers pay, right?

She was hired by a school with a semester left for her degree (special needs kids) with a salary of 36K per year. She graduates and a few days later legislation is passed and teachers were given a bump in pay. She's now at 40K per year.

Sort of crazy luck, right? How often do you hear a story where someone gets a 4K raise before they start?

@bama alum, a friend of mine's daughter just graduated from Wofford with a teaching degree. This, in the middle of protest at in Columbia over teachers pay, right?

She was hired by a school with a semester left for her degree (special needs kids) with a salary of 36K per year. She graduates and a few days later legislation is passed and teachers were given a bump in pay. She's now at 40K per year.

Sort of crazy luck, right? How often do you hear a story where someone gets a 4K raise before they start?

She's started out of the gate at the exact right time. My best comparison was the year I received my tenure bump was the same year Gov. Bob Riley helped push through a teacher raise.

Been pretty much bupkis since then. We're supposed to get a 4% raise this year, but until the PEEHIP lawsuit is settled, I'll hold off being happy about it. I actually lost a few dollars a month a couple of years ago the last time we teachers received a raise.

@bama alum, an interesting perk of the South Carolina is they'll pay off your student loans if you work in the public school systems. Now, it's intent is to feed teacher to need areas and some of the poorer schools. In her case it's her specialty that put here in the unique position. It's a nice school from what I'm told, just "tough" conditions.

Here in Alabama, new teachers/public employees are now Tier 2 employees, which means retirement suuuuuuuuux for them. That's partially what's limiting the number of new teachers.

The teacher retirement system in Ohio is not one to write home about either. I just finished my 33rd year and should have retired 3 years ago at 54. Our wonderful folks in government changed the retirement system about a decade ago and now I HAVE to go 5 more years to retire with less of a percentage. Not a happy camper.

Teachers at our school in our area of Texas make $55,000/year to start. Superintendent is making $350,000/year.

8 years ago he was only making $250,000/year. We have a GREAT superintendent, but $350,000/year is a way too much in my opinion. But then again, we're paying $7,000/year in property taxes to the ISD (independent school district) alone. :oops:

holy shit! o_O

my mom was paying just a little over $600/year in property taxes. not anymore, though, due to her age.

Property taxes and state funding is how schools in Texas are funded. Important to remember there is no state income tax in Texas.

Texas counties, ISDs, cities, universities have been double dipping with the property value skyrocketing and they aren't giving it back in the form of tax cuts.

They've recently passed a property tax reform, which is nonsense. They aren't gonna lower taxes.

Fuck em, I can't wait to be done with Texas for good.

Back
Top Bottom