| FTBL So far Lane's been good for the conference and college football.

He makes me laugh.

Lane Kiffin revealed a sweatshirt worthy of royalty – a portal king.

Kiffin tweeted a photo showing a navy hoodie that depicted an Ole Miss visor above the transfer portal moniker the football coach deserves for how well he’s stockpiled quality transfers during the offseason.

One year ago, the NCAA altered its rules for first-time transfers, opening the door for players to freely move between rosters without the threat of sitting out a season.

The change elicited some fear mongering that this would allow the rich to get richer and create another avenue for recruiting elites like Alabama and Georgia to gobble up talent.

So far, that’s largely proved untrue. Those programs largely remain committed to building their rosters with four- and five-star high school recruits.

Ole Miss enjoys the No. 1 position in the 247Sports transfer portal rankings. The Rebels and LSU lead the nation with 14 transfer additions.

They don’t hang banners for winning the transfer portal rankings, but performing well in the offseason rat race can parlay into on-field results.

I think the portal is a lot like the early recruiting period. Saban has to warm up a bit to these type of drastic changes.

As good as Saban is at evaluating talent and developing HS talent, I look for him to do some serious damage as we move forward. When he has guys that he sees playing at the college level, I think it gives him even more detailed information about his ability to develop said talent.

I personally think Saban has done a great job with the transfer portal. I just think it is a more efficient & accessible recruiting tool that replaced recruiting the Junior College ranks. From what I can tell is that Alabama will have more transfers out than in each year because Saban does such a good job recruiting players out of High School. Nobody is better at it.

CNS doesn’t have to be #1 in the transfer portal, just go in and grab a couple of “needs” while these others have to restock and retool their rosters due to sanctions, misses, and attrition from previous classes.

Are you thinking he should have used it more than he has so far?

I look at Brian Kelly and wouldn't want to be in those shoes. I believe they pulled 13 from the portal; half of their initials. Horrible way to develop depth.
I can’t imagine Coach Saban having to train 13 transfers in the Bama Way while at the same time getting them in step with the process. It seems to me it would cause too much of a distraction with the process and would negatively affect the development of the players he signed from high school. He has said he only brings in transfers who fill a need and can immediately compete for a role with the starters. As long as he’s in charge, Bama will never have 13 holes that need immediate help from transfers. So, personally, I don’t see this as a he’s just figuring the system out kind of thing. Besides, so many of the transfers are wanting a guarantee that they’ll play and he’s never going to tell anyone that.

I despise the transfer portal aka college football free agency. I rank it as number 2 behind number 1 NIL in what’s harming college football the most. A 12 or 16 team playoff that’s coming will jump to number 2 especially if college football ends up with a few mega conferences as some have predicted. Major college football will then become nothing but the G league or minor league for the NFL. Of course, I know I’m considered out of step with the times when I post such comments or that I’m fighting a losing battle with change. All that’s true but I’m old enough to know all change isn’t good. Sometimes something is almost perfect just the way it is. For me, the Constitution, the Rocky Mountains and college football (before the TP and NIL) fit the bill.

@TerryP.......the analogy was more directed at the fact that CNS didn't seem to be jumping all over it. I remember when all the hullabaloo came out about UGA being the recruiting "champs" that first year of the early signing period, I remember Saban saying that they were a bit behind on the early recruiting period and didn't realize how many kids would sign "early". He closed that gap quickly.

Saban didn't seem to tear it up with pulling kids out of the portal like other schools (looking at Ole Miss). That could be based on a lot of factors. The way he recruits and the talent we have, leaves very few gaps to have someone come in and fill. We know Saban is always about competition and iron sharpens iron. At position groups we will have needs, but not many. ie Jameison Williams was in a perfect scenario to come in and contribute. Jahmyr Gibbs is the same this year. For the most part, we are not in the same situation as other schools as far as talent need.

Back
Top Bottom