| ADMIN ⚠ Server Move, Thursday, August 18th. ⚠ UPDATE: Friday, the 19th. The migration is complete. Thanks for your patience.

Sunday morning:

I'd call this a soap opera but quite frankly the plots and storylines for daytime serials make more sense than some of the responses, explanations, and suggestions we've received.

While we're continuing to work on these issues today I'll leave you with this question; what's the best way to describe the transfer portal to a host? 🙃

what's the best way to describe the transfer portal to a host?
There has to be story behind this question that is probably more entertaining than the question. Was this a topic of disucssion you had with some of the people working on the server that host the sw for this site?

There has to be story behind this question that is probably more entertaining than the question. Was this a topic of disucssion you had with some of the people working on the server that host the sw for this site?
What set me off a bit this morning was the response to a question I posed yesterday that was along the lines of "you guys are support, what do you recommend to avoid this in the future?" (Understand, this is the second time this has happened with these folks in the last two months. They are new to us, a company that came in and bought out our last host.)

Their response was we needed "more space, more CPU's, and they followed it with a link to their product page." What they are recommending is hosting packages for software we haven't used in years: "here are our vBulletin packages" when we're running Xenforo.

Get this. We stopped using vB when they were on version four; they are currently running version eight. We're on our third version of Xf and stopped running vBulletin eight years ago.

It's almost like your car mechanic quoting an engine rebuild on a Honda Accord when you're driving a Toyota Tundra.

What set me off a bit this morning was the response to a question I posed yesterday that was along the lines of "you guys are support, what do you recommend to avoid this in the future?" (Understand, this is the second time this has happened with these folks in the last two months. They are new to us, a company that came in and bought out our last host.)

Their response was we needed "more space, more CPU's, and they followed it with a link to their product page." What they are recommending is hosting packages for software we haven't used in years: "here are our vBulletin packages" when we're running Xenforo.

Get this. We stopped using vB when they were on version four; they are currently running version eight. We're on our third version of Xf and stopped running vBulletin eight years ago.

It's almost like your car mechanic quoting an engine rebuild on a Honda Accord when you're driving a Toyota Tundra.
Ha I knew there was some frustration behind that question. Nothing like working with a vendor that spews nonsense, because the people you are talking to do not know what they are doing and certainly do not have the history to know your environment. The just trying to appese you while someone that does know is working on the issue. I am sure they have someone there that knows but unfortanately it may take you some time to find out who they are and make a connected because all the real work falls on them. These front line guys just have there talking point script.

Good luck and thanks for all you do because it is a thankless job and a lot more work than people realize.

I am sure they have someone there that knows but unfortanately it may take you some time to find out who they are and make a connected because all the real work falls on them.
We've spoken with their senior support staff and it's no better than their "junior" staff so far.

We'll get this straightened out...we're real close to pulling the trigger on a move. Real close.

Without delving into too much detail we're getting an offer from our current host (that'll fix the issue) for (hypothetical numbers here) $1.25 a year when we could get the same for $2.00 for three years.

We'll keep you guys updated.

Spent my entire 30+ year career in tech field so understand the issue getting a good partner. At some point it is business and you cut ties and move on. Some companies have poor cultures and cannot keep good staff and others do it to save a dime w/o connecting in the end it will cost them money as people will stop using their product. Company I left recently after 23 years used to have a customer first cutlure but that shifted to a drive people as hard as you can because you have to meet Walstreets expectios. That started causing significant attrition within the really expereienced people becuase todays job climate there are options.

Keep up the good work @TerryP .

Don’t you hate it when you’re looking for service and they’re looking for a commission? I’d move from them even if it cost more in the short term. Then again, that’s easy for me to say. Good luck dealing with unsupportive support folks!

Back
Top Bottom