| NEWS SEC Women's Basketball: Alabama Falls in 78-74 Heartbreaker to Baylor in NCAA Tournament

Bama women lost... Only saw a few minutes of it here and there, but this seems to be the story from what I did see... Bama takes a huge early lead, eventually loses lead late, regains lead in the final minute, then shits themselves and fumble it away to Baylor who wins by 4.

Bama bounced in first round 78-74 by Baylor. WHAT A JOKE !!!! Typical Kristy Curry coached team.
End of first Qt. Bama 22. Baylor 4
Halftime. Bama 41 Baylor 30
End of third Qt.Bama 59. Baylor 54
No adjustments whatsoever by Curry and completely out coached. A 10 year coach and all starters back from last year and this is what you get. Now maybe the AD will send Curry packing. The ladies on the Bama basketball team deserve better than this. One last thing. Thanks to Brittany Davis for giving her heart and soul. If it had not been for her this game would not have been close.

STORRS, Conn. – In a game that came down to the final minute, the Alabama women's basketball team's season concluded Saturday in a heartbreaking, 78-74, loss in the first round of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament to the seventh-seed Baylor Bears.

Baylor took the lead with 3:32 left to play in the game, but the Crimson Tide put together a 6-0 run to move ahead by three points with less than a minute to play. Foul trouble over the final minute of action, however, sent the Bears to the free throw line where Baylor converted 7-of-8 shots from the stripe to take the win.

The 10th-seeded Crimson Tide (20-11) was led by a 33-point performance from Brittany Daivs which tied the school's NCAA Tournament scoring record set by Yolanda Watkins in 1995. Davis' 33 points also tied a career-high as the UA senior additionally recorded a career high in three-point baskets with seven on the night. Jada Rice and Sarah Ashlee Barker both tallied 11 points and four boards in the game.

Baylor (20-12) was led by Ja'Mee Asberry, who tallied 26 points in the game. Caitlin Bickle had 14 points, seven boards and four assists while Sarah Andrews had 14 points, five assists and four blocks.

Alabama Head Coach Kristy Curry Said​

"First of all, I'm really proud of the kids in that locker room for the season that they've had. Obviously, we're visibly upset. Any time that -- I mean, you have a group of kids that have poured their heart and soul into the program for three straight postseasons. For a group of kids that came to Alabama and turned the program around and put it on a trajectory that's really special, the legacy that they will leave is (that) they left it a whole lot better than they found it.

"So, I don't want their body of work to take away from how disappointed they are today. I'm really proud to be their coach and love them a lot. We just had too many mistakes down the stretch. A silly foul, a travel, a missed box out there on the free throw. Basketball is a game of mistakes. I don't want those three mistakes to define who they are and what they've done for the program. Baylor made some plays down the stretch, and we weren't able to. At the end of the day, that's the game."

STORRS, Conn. – In a game that came down to the final minute, the Alabama women's basketball team's season concluded Saturday in a heartbreaking, 78-74, loss in the first round of the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament to the seventh-seed Baylor Bears.

Baylor took the lead with 3:32 left to play in the game, but the Crimson Tide put together a 6-0 run to move ahead by three points with less than a minute to play. Foul trouble over the final minute of action, however, sent the Bears to the free throw line where Baylor converted 7-of-8 shots from the stripe to take the win.

The 10th-seeded Crimson Tide (20-11) was led by a 33-point performance from Brittany Daivs which tied the school's NCAA Tournament scoring record set by Yolanda Watkins in 1995. Davis' 33 points also tied a career-high as the UA senior additionally recorded a career high in three-point baskets with seven on the night. Jada Rice and Sarah Ashlee Barker both tallied 11 points and four boards in the game.

Baylor (20-12) was led by Ja'Mee Asberry, who tallied 26 points in the game. Caitlin Bickle had 14 points, seven boards and four assists while Sarah Andrews had 14 points, five assists and four blocks.

Alabama Head Coach Kristy Curry Said​

"First of all, I'm really proud of the kids in that locker room for the season that they've had. Obviously, we're visibly upset. Any time that -- I mean, you have a group of kids that have poured their heart and soul into the program for three straight postseasons. For a group of kids that came to Alabama and turned the program around and put it on a trajectory that's really special, the legacy that they will leave is (that) they left it a whole lot better than they found it.

"So, I don't want their body of work to take away from how disappointed they are today. I'm really proud to be their coach and love them a lot. We just had too many mistakes down the stretch. A silly foul, a travel, a missed box out there on the free throw. Basketball is a game of mistakes. I don't want those three mistakes to define who they are and what they've done for the program. Baylor made some plays down the stretch, and we weren't able to. At the end of the day, that's the game."
Sounds like the HC is solely putting the blame on the players for mistakes. The major mistake was the HC failed to make any adjustments whatsoever while the Baylor HC did. Unbelievable for a HC to say how this program has been turned around. Yes, there were problems but after 10 years this is what these young ladies get. Looking around the league several coaches have been at their schools 2,3, 4 years and having much more success. Time for a change and I hope it comes soon.

Who would be the preferred replacement for Curry?
Former Alabama player Joni Taylor. She left Georgia for Texas A&M last year. At least the AD should have given her first refusal but don’t think he even contacted her. Of course, she had a down year at A&M but Gary Blair who retired after last year had a team loaded with graduate students and seniors. Joni was really in a rebuilding year. She left Georgia in good shape with a first year coach making the NCAA tournament this year. With the talent Alabama had this year, with all starters back, I could see Joni going much farther in the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

Well I see where a second year SEC coach with 9 new players gets her team into the NCAA Championship game and Bama still has a 10 year person masquerading as a coach. Time for the AD to step up and send her packing.

Well I see where a second year SEC coach with 9 new players gets her team into the NCAA Championship game and Bama still has a 10 year person masquerading as a coach. Time for the AD to step up and send her packing.

Not disagreeing, I think Curry is what she is at this point. But UA would have to make a huge financial commitment to get a known commodity like Mulkey. She's making $2.7 million compared to Curry's $500,000. IMO, I don't think she's here past 2025 when her contract runs out... But I'd imagine, even then, Byrne will stick with his m.o. and go grab a younger up-and-comer who he sees a lot of potential in, for a discount price.

Not disagreeing, I think Curry is what she is at this point. But UA would have to make a huge financial commitment to get a known commodity like Mulkey. She's making $2.7 million compared to Curry's $500,000. IMO, I don't think she's here past 2025 when her contract runs out... But I'd imagine, even then, Byrne will stick with his m.o. and go grab a younger up-and-comer who he sees a lot of potential in, for a discount price.
I somewhat agree with you that she will probably leave at the end of her contract because at that point I think her kids will be out or almost finished with high school. IMO Byrne is placing the priority on family instead of what’s best for the program. Also I think he missed out by not making a move 3-4 years ago. I believe he could have gotten Joni Taylor from Georgia and paid a little more ($600,000 to $800,000 range) or a younger coach. Bottom line is I don’t think Byrne gives a crap about women’s sports at Alabama. Just look at what’s happening to the once successful softball program.

I somewhat agree with you that she will probably leave at the end of her contract because at that point I think her kids will be out or almost finished with high school. IMO Byrne is placing the priority on family instead of what’s best for the program. Also I think he missed out by not making a move 3-4 years ago. I believe he could have gotten Joni Taylor from Georgia and paid a little more ($600,000 to $800,000 range) or a younger coach. Bottom line is I don’t think Byrne gives a crap about women’s sports at Alabama. Just look at what’s happening to the once successful softball program.

I can't remember if it was Taylor, or someone else, so don't hold me to this... @TerryP may know or recall... but I seem to remember there being some chatter that for some reason Taylor had no interest in coming back to Alabama for now. I may have her mixed up with someone else though. I think a big thing Curry wanted was those vested retirement years...

I think you're probably giving up on Murphy a bit too quickly. I completely understand some of the frustration the roster management hasn't been good in the last 2 years. And I get the hitting stuff too. A lot has changed though with the transfer portal and recruiting... IMO he's earned the right to an adjustment period.

I can't remember if it was Taylor, or someone else, so don't hold me to this... @TerryP may know or recall... but I seem to remember there being some chatter that for some reason Taylor had no interest in coming back to Alabama for now. I may have her mixed up with someone else though. I think a big thing Curry wanted was those vested retirement years...

I think you're probably giving up on Murphy a bit too quickly. I completely understand some of the frustration the roster management hasn't been good in the last 2 years. And I get the hitting stuff too. A lot has changed though with the transfer portal and recruiting... IMO he's earned the right to an adjustment period.
I migh be wrong but I think the chatter might have been back when Joni was assistant coach and I believe associated HC at Georgia under Landers. Of course, I don’t think she had an interest in coming back at that time because she was being groomed to take over for Landers when he retired. However, there is no excuse for Byrne to not even gauge her interest over the past 2-4 years. As for Murphy he’s going to have problems until he gets a hitting coach.

I migh be wrong but I think the chatter might have been back when Joni was assistant coach and I believe associated HC at Georgia under Landers. Of course, I don’t think she had an interest in coming back at that time because she was being groomed to take over for Landers when he retired. However, there is no excuse for Byrne to not even gauge her interest over the past 2-4 years. As for Murphy he’s going to have problems until he gets a hitting coach.

I'll be interested in seeing what he does in terms of filling the new full time position that will be allowed for next season. Personally, I don't think Murphy is as bad a hitting coach as some believe... but I'd absolutely be onboard with a FT hitting coach being brought in. I do think if Murphy is going to insist on being the defacto hitting coach though, then more of his focus should be there... and the added coaching position should help that. Regardless, he is going to have to make some adjustments on and off the field, or the program will begin to slip. And with the level of competition across the league, it won't be easy to recover from. I think (and certainly hope), he has enough self awareness to realize that though, and do what is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom