| FTBL SEC football official explains how 'Horns Down' penalty will be enforced for 2024 season

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....

Yes, the SEC will be penalizing teams for the 'Horns Down' gesture as Texas begins play in the conference beginning this fall. An official explained the reasoning behind the decision.​

SEC football official explains how 'Horns Down' penalty will be enforced for 2024 season

SEC coordinator of officials John McDaid fielded questions Tuesday at SEC Media Days about the "Horns Down" celebration and whether it will be penalized in 2024, the Texas Longhorns' first season as SEC members. The Big 12 added "Horns Down" as a taunting penalty in its rulebook last season. McDaid said the SEC's approach to the gesture will be more "contextual."

"Unsportsmanlike conduct needs to fit one of three categories: Is it taunting an opponent? Is it making a travesty of the game? Is it otherwise compromising our ability to manage the game?" McDaid said. "There's a difference between a player giving a signal directly in the face of an opponent, as opposed to doing it with teammates celebrating after a touchdown or on the sideline. Every single occurrence is not an act of unsportsmanlike conduct. If a player just does it to celebrate with his teammates, I call that a travesty. I don't have that directed at his opponent. It's contextual."

McDaid said he ultimately doesn't want officials to insert themselves into the game, and the approach to penalizing "Horns Down" will reflect that.

"We hear all the time, 'we don't want officials factoring into the game, let the two teams decide it,'" McDaid said. "Guess what? You put a flag down for unsportsmanlike conduct, you're moving someone 15 yards. You're giving the offense an automatic first down if it's the defense. That's inserting yourself into the game."

McDaid added that the same applies to players taunting Florida with the "Gator Chomp" and Ole Miss with the "Land Shark" signal.

"We already have some of this in our conference," McDaid said. "We've had opponents down in Gainesville winning and not using the Gator Chomp in a positive manner. As long as it hasn't been directed at an opponent for taunting, we haven't had a problem with it."

The taunt took on a new life in recent years for opponents of the Longhorns in just about all sports. Some Alabama football players wasted no time in displaying that to Texas players in Week 2 of the 2022 season after the Crimson Tide squeezed out a 20-19 victory against the Longhorns at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin. Then-Alabama coach Nick Saban wasn't a fan of it.

"I said it after the game, 'Don't do that stuff,'" Saban said following the contest. "I told our players, 'We're not doing this. Don't do it. It's not classy. We don't need to degrade the other team's traditions. Just go play.' You make choices and decisions, whether it's in school, as a person or as a player. Every time you think you're not doing the right thing — and most people who don't do the right thing know it's not the right thing before they do it, they just do it anyway. So don't do that stuff. Maybe we need to have that as a motto."

I think this is much like the pussification of our nation. Everyone and their feelings. While I agree it is not classy, the team being taunted and made fun of...........can stop it by winning.

It is an issue because it pisses Texas off and they are butt-hurt over it.
So what about when Mark was doing it to the gators in the 2009 SEC game?

Good lord we have two UT's in the conference now. Both are pathetic... Pretty sad the SEC is even addressing this stupidity. Enforce lack of sportsmanship but horns down by itself is not lack of sportsmanship.

Last edited:
This whole horns down thing is one of the most ridiculous conversations about sportsmanship in college football. How is it that a player scores a touchdown with 10 seconds left in the game and it puts them ahead, he goes to the corner of the end zone looks to the opposing crowd and gives the wave goodbye any less unsportsmanlike than throwing horns down to the crowd? Celebrating great plays is part of sports, we sing at the end of every game we win about how we just beat the hell out of an opponent, you are not going to stop things like that. Penalizing The players is ridiculous. You can’t take unsportsmanlike and break it down into categories like that. Either you are allowed to celebrate short of pulling your clothes off and running around naked or throwing things at someone, or you’re not allowed to celebrate.

Sports will not even look the same in 50 years. I am so glad I will not be around to see it.

I wonder since we’re becoming NFL esque are they going to allow the teams to do choreographed group dances, after a big play or TD… As long as it’s not directly in the face of an opponent

Back
Top Bottom