| FTBL SEC commissioner Greg Sankey comments on possibility of taking over as NCAA president

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey comments on possibility of taking over as NCAA president

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey comments on possibility of taking over as NCAA president
Justin Ford/Getty Images
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey doesn’t know who will take over for Mark Emmert as NCAA president but he’s pretty sure it’s not going to be him. The commissioner, now going into his eighth year, shut down speculation on Wednesday. Reporters asked Sankey outright if he’d like the top job in college sports.
“No, I’m busy with what I do,” Sankey told the Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach and ESPN’s Heather Dinich.
The news of Emmert’s resignation is still fresh following the Tuesday afternoon bombshell. However, Sankey was able to outline what he hopes the next president brings to collegiate athletics when the transition happens.
“What I think we need is effective vision — clear vision — effective leadership,” Sankey said to the reporters. “Collaborative effort, to me, is a foundational element.”
Last August, Sankey agreed to a contract extension to remain the SEC commissioner through at least 2026. Sankey succeeded Mike Slive in 2015 after working various roles in the league dating back to 2002.
Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff also spoke to Auerbach and Dinich about the NCAA president vacancy.
“It’s a unicorn,” Kliavkoff said. “That’s a really, really difficult job. It’s not an enviable one, and I’m not sure anyone would want it.”

Emmert resigns as NCAA president, plans end of tenure for 2023​

Mark Emmert plans to continue in his role until a new president is elected or until June 30, 2023, if a replacement has not been found by then.
Releasing a statement on the decision, Emmert laid out some of the things he has done well as president, saying he has focused on the experience of the student-athletes. He is proud of everything the NCAA has accomplished over the past 12 years as well.
“Throughout my tenure, I’ve emphasized the need to focus on the experience and priorities of student-athletes,” Emmert said. “I am extremely proud of the work of the Association over the last 12 years and especially pleased with the hard work and dedication of the national office staff here in Indianapolis.”
DeGioia released his own statement, explaining the decision for Emmert to step down when he is. The NCAA Board of Governors Chair said it gives them plenty of time to find their next president.
“With the significant transitions underway within college sports, the timing of this decision provides the Association with consistent leadership during the coming months plus the opportunity to consider what will be the future role of the president,” said DeGioia. “It also allows for the selection and recruitment of the next president without disruption.”
On3’s Griffin McVeigh contributed to this report

Back
Top Bottom