| NEWS Scout.com: A guess at Bama's spring depth chart

18Champs

There will be no announcement or issuance of a depth chart when Alabama begins spring practice on Tuesday, March 21. Nor will there be one at anytime during the spring, though one will get something of an idea of how the Crimson Tide is shaping up when the public gets to see the A-Day Game on April 22.

Alabama Coach Nick Saban has disdain for the depth chart. He does allow his staff to issue one at the start of the season and prior to bowl season, but he has pointed out that the depth chart is good for only that day. It is fluid based on every practice and every game.

That is particularly true for spring practice, a time when there can be experimentation and when some players who have not been seen have a chance to make a mark. That includes 16 signees in the 2017 class who are taking part in spring practice.

We also don’t know yet what, if any, participation there will be from players recuperating from injuries.
Additionally, there is fall camp in August when there will be even more players to work with and more of an urgency to determine starters and rotations.

Alabama has a number of positions to replace. The Tide will be working a group of offensive linemen to find the new “five best” with All-America Cam Robinson gone from left tackle after starting for three years and Korren Kirven gone from the right guard position that was a work in progress through much of 2016. Wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Gehrig Dieter must be replace, as is also the case with All-America tight end O.J. Howard.On defense, there is much more to be done. The Tide lost starting defensive ends Jonathan Allen — one of the most decorated players in Alabama football history — and Dalvin Tomlinson; linebackers Reuben Foster (All-America and Butkus Award winner), Tim Williams, and Ryan anderson; and cornerback Marlon Humphrey.That said, it is interesting that most of the winter conversation and much of the spring interest will be on the quarterback position, where Alabama returns the Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year in sophomore Jalen Hurts. There is no other experience at the quarterback position, but freshman Tua Tagovailoa is expected to compete.

There are many reasons to admit guessing at a depth chart prior to the start of spring practice can be an exercise in futility, but someone has to do it.

Here is our guess:

OFFENSE
Split End
1 Robert Foster, 6-2, 191, Sr
17 Cam Sims, 6-5, 203, Sr
7 Trevon Diggs, 6-2, 195, So
85 Donnie Lee Jr., 6-0, 180, Sr
89 Armani Purifoye, 6-0, 193, Sr

Left Tackle
76 Scott Lashley, 6-7, 313, RFr

70 Alex Leatherwood, 6-6, 327, Fr
77 Matt Womack, 6-7, 316, So

Left Guard
71 Ross Pierschbacher, 6-4, 304, Jr
59 Dallas Warmack, 6-2, 299, Jr
65 Deonte Brown, 6-4, 350, RFr

Center
75 Bradley Bozeman, 6-5, 319, Sr
63 J.C. Hassenauer, 6-2, 299, Sr

Right Guard
67 Josh Casher, 6-1, 287, Jr
56 Brandon Kennedy, 6-3, 301, So
79 Chris Owens, 6-3, 307, RFr
72 Richie Petitbon, 6-4, 302, So

Right Tackle
73 Jonah Williams, 6-5, 296, So
78 Elliot Baker, 6-7, 295, Jr
66 Lester Cotton, 6-4, 319, Jr
61 Jacob Probasco, 6-3, 317, So

Tight End (Y)
84 Hale Hentges, 6-5, 256, Jr
82 Irv Smith Jr., 6-4, 235, So
83 Cam Stewart, 6-8, 254, So

Tight End (H)
87 Miller Forristall, 6-5, 225, So
88 Major Tennison, 6-5, 240, Fr
45 Hunter Bryant, 6-5, 226, Sr
42 Jacob Parker, 6-1, 222, Sr

Quarterback
2 Jalen Hurts, 6-2, 209, So
13 Tua Tagovailoa, 6-1, 215, Fr
10 Mac Jones, 6-2, 185, Fr
19 Montana Murphy, 6-3, 201, So

Tailback
9 Bo Scarbrough, 6-2, 228, Jr
34 Damien Harris, 5-11, 214, Jr
8 Josh Jacobs, 5-10, 204, So
6 B.J. Emmons, 6-0, 206, So
22 Najee Harris, 6-2, 225, Fr
24 Brian Robinson, 6-1, 224, Fr
12 Chadarius Townsend, 6-0, 190, Fr
5 Ronnie Clark, 6-2, 215, Jr
44 Avery Reid, 6-0, 192, So

Flanker
3 Calvin Ridley, 6-1, 188, Jr
81 Derek Kief, 6-4, 200, Jr
14 Tyrell Shavers, 6-6, 202, Fr
37 Jonathan Rice, 6-4, 207, Jr

Slot
16 T.J. Simmons, 6-2, 201, So
19 Xavian Marks, 5-8, 166, Jr
4 Jerry Jeudy, 6-1, 175, Fr
31 Xavian Marks, 5-8, 166, Jr
38 Austin Johnson, 6-2, 200, Jr

DEFENSE
Left End
9 Da’Shawn Hand, 6-4, 280, Sr
49 Isaiah Buggs, 6-5, 290, Jr
90 Jamar King, 6-4, 290, Sr

Nose Tackle
94 DaRon Payne, 6-2, 319, Jr
69 Josh Frazier, 6-4, 315, Sr
91 O.J. Smith, 6-2, 309, Jr
58 Daniel Powell, 5-11, 238, So

Right End
92 Quinnen Williams, 6-4, 284, RFr
99 Raekwon Davis, 6-7, 315, So
95 Johnny Dwight, 6-3, 306, Jr
50 Vohn Keith, 6-2, 221, Sr

Jack Linebacker
33 Anfernee Jennings, 6-3, 264, So
24 Terrell Hall, 6-5, 247, So
48 Mekhi Brown, 6-5, 246, So
19 Shawn Jennings, 6-2, 200, RFr

Middle Linebacker
20 Shaun Dion Hamilton, 6-0, 232, Sr
30 Mack Wilson, 6-2, 244, So
6 Dylan Moses, 6-3, 235, Fr

Weakside Linebacker
32 Rashaan Evans, 6-3, 231, Sr
42 Keith Holcombe, 6-4, 227, Jr
1 Ben Davis, 6-4, 234, RFr

Strongside Linebacker
47 Christian Miller, 6-4, 230, Jr
31 Keaton Anderson, 6-1, 215, So
16 Jamey Mosley, 6-5, 228, Jr
40 Joshua McMillon, 6-3, 237, So

Left Cornerback
5 Shyheim Carter, 6-0, 190, So
39 Levi Wallace, 6-0, 170, Sr
23 Aaron Robinson, 6-1, 181, So
37 Donavan Mosley, 5-10, 180, Jr
45 Bo Grant, 6-2, 195, Sr

Strong Safety
29 Minkah Fitzpatrick, 6-1, 203, Jr
6 Hootie Jones, 6-2, 215, Sr
21 Jared Mayden, 6-0, 200, So
25 Xavier McKinney, 6-1, 192, Fr

Safety
15 Ronnie Harrison, 6-3, 216, Jr
2 Tony Brown, 6-0, 198, Sr
14 Deionte Thompson, 6-2, 190, So
3 Daniel Wright, 6-1, 187, Fr

Right Cornerback
28 Anthony Averett, 6-0, 183, Sr
13 Nigel Knott, 5-11, 175, RFr
26 Kyriq McDonald, 5-11, 190, Fr
37 21 Rogria Lewis, 5-11, 196, Sr

SPECIAL TEAMS
Punter
15 JK Scott, 6-6, 202, Sr
98 Brannon Satterfield, 6-2, 210, Jr

Placekicker
92 Andy Pappanastos, 5-11, 198, Sr

Snapper
45 Thomas Fletcher, 6-2, 220, Fr
52 Scott Meyer, 6-2, 222, So
53 Ryan Parris, 6-0, 209, Jr

A Guess At Alabama’s Spring Depth Chart

We don't need no stinkin depth chart. If Robert Foster sticks it out and is able to produce what we've seen only in short flashes, he goes to the head of my class in perseverance and patience.

.but my guess is that Jonah Williams will be moving to the LT spot.
Cristobal mentioned a little while ago that there's been some serious discussion about giving Williams a try at center. My first thought was "he'd be a really tall center" until I started thinking more about his height. Kelly was around the 6'4" mark which seems to be the average among the top centers projected for the upcoming draft. Hell, the guy out of Michigan is 6'6" or taller.

We don't need no stinkin depth chart. If Robert Foster sticks it out and is able to produce what we've seen only in short flashes, he goes to the head of my class in perseverance and patience.
The thing is, Tusk, we've not seen anything out of Foster. I know people keep going back to 2015 and those first three games but he was not the leading receiver at that point of the season. We don't know what Foster brings. The staff has hopes of what he can bring.

We do know he wasn't willing to put in the work that Kiffin was looking for last year. I know that when Daboll arrived on campus he tried to start fresh with Foster. We'll see if that works its way out. In his case it isn't a case of "perseverance and patience" at this point it's a case of him being persuadable (and we still don't have a definitive word there.)

Left Tackle
76 Scott Lashley, 6-7, 313, RFr

Don't assume since Williams had a good year at RT they would automatically move him to LT.

Cristobal said that Lashley is the best offensive line prospect he'd seen since he's started with the Tide. He went as far as to say Scott has a better upside than Cam. Now, that's his opinion, not mine. But, it's also one shared among those covering the Tide (including Kirk here and I've seen Rodney make the same type comments.)

The thing is, Tusk, we've not seen anything out of Foster. I know people keep going back to 2015 and those first three games but he was not the leading receiver at that point of the season. We don't know what Foster brings. The staff has hopes of what he can bring.

We do know he wasn't willing to put in the work that Kiffin was looking for last year. I know that when Daboll arrived on campus he tried to start fresh with Foster. We'll see if that works its way out. In his case it isn't a case of "perseverance and patience" at this point it's a case of him being persuadable (and we still don't have a definitive word there.)

He's a 5* getting passed up on the depth chart for the last 4 years. The comment wasn't made from Bama's perspective. He personally had to hang in there, regardless of who is at fault. And with Kiffin, you shouldn't rush to judgment, let's see what Daboll coaches out of him. I doubt seriously Tony Brown get's a chance to redeem himself if not for Mo Smith, Sheffield, and Eddie Jackson. Opportunity is everything.

Blind leading the blind here!!! We are all just guessing at spots like LT, CB2, RG, etc.

The highglight for me was the words "split end" and "flanker". I'm not a football guy but remember those from the old days. lol

He's a 5* getting passed up on the depth chart for the last 4 years. The comment wasn't made from Bama's perspective. He personally had to hang in there, regardless of who is at fault. And with Kiffin, you shouldn't rush to judgment, let's see what Daboll coaches out of him. I doubt seriously Tony Brown get's a chance to redeem himself if not for Mo Smith, Sheffield, and Eddie Jackson. Opportunity is everything.
There's a reason he's a five star that kept getting passed on the depth chart. While I know what Kiffin's thoughts were about Foster I put all of this at his feet since he was the offensive coordinator. However, this includes Napier as well. When it came to doing what he was supposed to do as a WR, he didn't. These things undoubtedly didn't go unnoticed by anyone.

This goes beyond football, Tusk. There are issues he has to get straight off the field as well...like, if a meeting starts at 8, be there before 8. The same applies to his school work.

There's a difference in Tony and Robert at this point. Tony has followed what he's been instructed to do. We still don't know if Foster will.

There's a reason he's a five star that kept getting passed on the depth chart. While I know what Kiffin's thoughts were about Foster I put all of this at his feet since he was the offensive coordinator. However, this includes Napier as well. When it came to doing what he was supposed to do as a WR, he didn't. These things undoubtedly didn't go unnoticed by anyone.

This goes beyond football, Tusk. There are issues he has to get straight off the field as well...like, if a meeting starts at 8, be there before 8. The same applies to his school work.

There's a difference in Tony and Robert at this point. Tony has followed what he's been instructed to do. We still don't know if Foster will.

You can check the record, but I'm pretty sure the only similarities I've made between them is that they're both still here. Who would ever get the feeling that Tony is a lock himself with his decision making? Being sent home from the playoffs could have sounded the death knell given his track record at the time. Both Brown and Foster will have to take advantage of whatever opportunities exist. And without getting into semantics, I simply still give them both a lot of credit for being here, head cases and all.

Both Brown and Foster will have to take advantage of whatever opportunities exist. And without getting into semantics, I simply still give them both a lot of credit for being here, head cases and all.
We're on the same page here. Hell, I'm skeptical, still, when it comes to Brown but still willing to give him the benefit of doubt.

Same with Foster. I love the idea of him playing that X position if for no other reason than his speed--boy has wheels. I've heard good reports about his meeting with Daboll. I like the fact that Locksley (who has spent time with the WR's in film study) has a relationship with him already that's, technically, off the field. Since the winter months have gone well (since the staff changes) it's not unreasonable to have high hopes. Some don't outgrow the prima donna stage until late.

BTW, you guys notice Chadarius Townsend is listed as a tailback? I'd wondered if he'd get a look as as a defensive back--still might. Word has it they are looking at him as a player who could fill the TB role or slide out to the Z.

How many people know the difference in the X, Y, or Z position? A lot fewer than those that understand SE and FL, I'm sure.

I sure as hell don't! All I know is there is a slot WR and 2 outside positions... Just assumed the outsides were interchangeable.

Under Kiffin we really only used 1 dude each year anyway lol. Can't ever remember having a productive slot WR with any of the OC's.

I sure as hell don't! All I know is there is a slot WR and 2 outside positions... Just assumed the outsides were interchangeable.
283964.image0.jpg

Under Kiffin we really only used 1 dude each year anyway lol. Can't ever remember having a productive slot WR with any of the OC's.

They had pretty good production last year from the SE and F, or your X and Z. Ridley had more touches, but Stewart more yards. They finished within a 100 yards of each other as I recall. It seems like there was around 20 or so catches difference between the two.

Dieter was technically the slot guy I suppose. His is a position we've seen block, a lot. Mullaney the year before, nothing really to speak of in 2014 but how often does an Amari come along, ya know?

BTW, you guys notice Chadarius Townsend is listed as a tailback? I'd wondered if he'd get a look as as a defensive back--still might. Word has it they are looking at him as a player who could fill the TB role or slide out to the Z.

Noticed that and to be honest, this surprised me. I was thinking on the DB side or WR position to be honest. I guess their thinking is 3rd down back for flair routes and screens.

Concerning the offense:

There are some riches at the tackles, but it will get REAL interesting to see who the starting two are - Jonah Williams SOMEWHERE, and whoever else. No one is taking center from Bozeman. Ross P needs to have the year he has as a FRESHMAN, and it would be interesting to see what Pettibon can do, but SOMEONE had better give us some good right guard play - that really hurt us last year. Can't run the ball, or RPOs, from the strong side, if the DE or LB can shoot the gap by the RG.

Concerning the WRs, I'd love to see Foster prove us wrong, but I am not a believer - Cam Sims will do just fine, and I think Diggs will be a beast. If anyone thinks Jeudy will not be the starting slot, you're crazy.

Back
Top Bottom