| FTBL Scheduling games

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
So much for the BS we have heard over the years about how it takes months, even years, to schedule games. Games are being scheduled now as soon as others are canceled. Same day!

The Maddux site shows the Houston-Memphis game scheduled for tonight and the Houston-Baylor game Saturday. Houston announced both the postponement and the Baylor scheduling on 9/12.

Scroll down to "Houston Headlines"

Last edited:
i have know it was BS since 1966. Bama was scheduled to open against Tulane. In June, Tulane announced their withdrawal from the SEC and asked to be removed from the Bama schedule. Shortly thereafter the school announced that Coach Bryant had scheduled LaTech to replace Tulane on the schedule.

When people have schedules locked in seems like it is more complicated to reschedule. Let's face it these are not normal times. It does take a willingness to try and programs are certainly motivated to try under the current conditions.

But these aren't big marquee "home and home series" either. Also, not a normal time by any means. ADs sit down and they know that they likely have the first 2-3 weeks of the year to get those marquee games then they have conference games, a cupcake, then rivalry game locked in to the remaining slots. With these "conference only or conference + one" schedules happening this year, it is A LOT easier to schedule/reschedule.

So much for the BS we have heard over the years about how it takes months, even years, to schedule games. Games are being scheduled now as soon as others are canceled. Same day!

The Maddux site shows the Houston-Memphis game scheduled for tonight and the Houston-Baylor game Saturday. Houston announced both the postponement and the Baylor scheduling on 9/12.

Scroll down to "Houston Headlines"

It helps when the slate is wiped clean and both teams have an opening, need a game and financials aren't an issue.

There are some..even on here ...that blasted me when i talked about rescheduling...and it didn't have to be so hard... now..its easy...people just agree and move on...

in 1966
Shortly thereafter the school announced that Coach Bryant had scheduled LaTech to replace Tulane on the schedule.

and a hot shot QB named ....Terry Bradshaw.....( who didnt start)

EA6F1B83-D20B-4A29-B0DC-1ACFDD7520C6.jpeg

Yep, Phil Robertson was the QB and a very good one and just a Junior. Bradshaw would have sat another year except for the decision Robertson made at the end of the season. He told Bradshaw, "It's all yours next year. You can go for the bucks, I'm going for the ducks." Worked out very well for both of them.

Last edited:
Great read!

How good was Phil Robertson at football?

In the 1960s, Robertson, now 66, was the starting quarterback at Louisiana Tech for two seasons ahead of Terry Bradshaw. His teammates and a coach recall him as a talented, outdoors-obsessed character who walked away from his final year of eligibility to spend more time hunting and fishing, but had the talent to play in the NFL: .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Butch Williams, offensive tackle: I remember he was quite a good quarterback. He had a great arm. The thing I remember about him is we went over and played Alabama. Bear Bryant was the coach, and of course Alabama beat us that day (34-0 in 1966). But I remember the next day in the paper Bryant said, “That young man over there on the Tech sideline, that quarterback, he has one heck of an arm. He’s a great prospect. He’s one of the best prospects I’ve seen.” And Bear Bryant’s quarterback was “Snake” Stabler.

Brunet: The last game of my senior year was Phil’s junior year. He and I and Bradshaw were standing on the field before our last game, and we used to call Terry “Bomber.” He (Robertson) looks at Terry, says ,“Bomber, I’m not coming back next year.” He said, “You’re not? What are you gonna do?” He said, “I’m going for the ducks, you can go for the bucks.”

Phil Robertson: When Brunet went with the Washington Redskins (a few seasons), he came down here. He said, “Robertson why don’t you come up here and just walk on?” I said, “Well what are they paying?” He said $60,000 a year if you make the team. That’s what the money was like. … Well, 60 grand didn’t seem like that much to give up duck hunting. He said, “Look, Sonny Jurgensen, you’re not gonna beat him out. But we got this hot dog you won’t have any problem with, you can beat him out hands down. I said what’s his name? He said Joe Theismann. … I said, “Brunet, let me ask you something: When all them ducks start heading south and I’m stuck up there in Washington somewhere, do you think I’ll stay?" And he kinda looked at the ground and he says, “Naaah.” I said, “No, I don’t want to fool with it.”

Last edited:
@252BAMA
The "duck dynasty " phil Robertson....lol

being at LaTech...there were always telling stories of the 2.....
Robertson and Bradshaw were chucking balls down field....Phil challenged Bradshaw to see howfar e could throw.....with everyone watching...Bradshaw hit the 100 yard mark... later in a game with time gone...last play....vs NW La...Bradshaw made a 100 yard throw for the game winner... the d back quit covering the receiver.. ...the receiver kept going...

terry was actually featured on cover of SI...and #1 draft pick

Scheduling when everyone has open dates is easy. Scheduling when everyone has few open dates is harder. Were all conferences to decide to go to the same length and dates for conference games it would make this easier. Still would have the issue of every team having to find an agreeable opponent and get them to agreee to and sign a contract. This year is in no way indicative of how hard it is to find good teams to play on a particular date in any given year.

But...yeah...probably easier this year...but still....can be done when the "wants to meet the needs to be"
That's never been the point. Not once.

All of these complaints about teams that have been scheduled have been met with "who do you replace them with?" It's been proven, time and time again, there are not that many open dates for teams to fill. Especially when we talk about the OOC game in the last part of the season.

The second retort has been "teams don't want to schedule Alabama." That's been the case since the late 00's. Coach Moore said so, as well as Bill Battle, Greg Byrne, and Coach Saban.

It's also been proven that an early loss to Bama can seriously derail a season. We saw it the first time with Clemson in '08. We saw it again with Florida State recently. Both of those teams had high expectations only to be "also-rans."

I understand people may not like this. The truth is a hard pill to swallow.

That's never been the point. Not once.

All of these complaints about teams that have been scheduled have been met with "who do you replace them with?" It's been proven, time and time again, there are not that many open dates for teams to fill. Especially when we talk about the OOC game in the last part of the season.

The second retort has been "teams don't want to schedule Alabama." That's been the case since the late 00's. Coach Moore said so, as well as Bill Battle, Greg Byrne, and Coach Saban.

It's also been proven that an early loss to Bama can seriously derail a season. We saw it the first time with Clemson in '08. We saw it again with Florida State recently. Both of those teams had high expectations only to be "also-rans."

I understand people may not like this. The truth is a hard pill to swallow.
Sure it has.... throw money out there....and they will come....look at all the top ten teams and the ooc games...

Agree ...recently.....at bamas playing level...top teams dont want an early loss opportunity ....

Back
Top Bottom