| LIFE Retirement

alabama mike

Just Win Baby!
After 38 years in education, I officially submitted my letter of retirement this morning. I started as a 4th grade teacher in 84-85, worked in a factory for 2 years, taught in TN. for 3 and have spent the last 34 year in Ohio. Bittersweet feelings leaving kids I love, wonderful folks I work with ( a few exceptions) and for the most part, the parents I have come to know.

After 38 years in education, I officially submitted my letter of retirement this morning. I started as a 4th grade teacher in 84-85, worked in a factory for 2 years, taught in TN. for 3 and have spent the last 34 year in Ohio. Bittersweet feelings leaving kids I love, wonderful folks I work with ( a few exceptions) and for the most part, the parents I have come to know.
Enjoy Mike.

Congrats. Love the retired life, no watches, no schedule, funny how soon you forget what day it is.

You started teaching in year 2 of the Perkins era ;)

To be honest, I am bored stiff and hate it.
Oh man, I hate the hear that. I hope a few things begin to click for you.

My wife retired June 30th. After helping a friend for a week at the big show at the Atlanta Merchandise Mart, she's poured herself into her list of home projects that I thought would be waiting on me in spare windows ahead of my retirement next February, or in a rush right after it. She's cleaned the deck to get it ready for sealing, and she's almost finished painting the entire garage. She's having me bring the pressure washer back with us next week so she can prep a stained/stamped concrete patio where I have the fire pit so it can be re-sealed. She's mixed in a good number of brunches/lunches/happy hours with friends to mix it up, and we've had more time to talk about the things on our plate and in our future, instead of recapping our days of work. When I agreed to stay another eight months, there was a financial incentive, but a real obligation to help address a few things and help a potential successor get a little more time in their current role. I never thought that I'd be giving her a chance to spread out and do things I would normally do by default, but it's working well in these first few months.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom