Remington Arms moving 2,000+ jobs from NY to Alabama

planomateo

Good news for the Huntsville area, estimated impact of $87m. I wonder what Huntsville had to offer up to close the deal.

http://yellowhammernews.com/nationalpolitics/remington-arms-moving-1200-jobs-ny-alabama/

Almost half the states in the country have made pitches to Remington, included Arizona, Oklahoma, Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. But in the end, the company chose Huntsville, Ala.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/02/report_firearms_manufacturer_r.html

Sources said the plant would be located in a former Chrysler plant on Wall-Triana Highway and Electronics Boulevard, near Huntsville International Airport. That plant was most recently occupied by Continental Automotive, which closed in 2010.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. I had no idea that the wiki founder lived there. I know dealnews is based there, I used to use this site alot, but have been using slickdeals for the last 7+ years if I had to guess. My Toyota Tundra engine was produced in Huntsville too.

Intergraph was a pretty big company back in the day, I worked for them for ~2 years after I got out of the military. They had alot of government contracts back then (late 90's) selling their workstations and doing contracts with the military. When Intel introduced the Pentium processor, they did it in an an Intergraph system. They used to make some bad ass CAD systems originally (video cards that were way ahead of their time). They lost alot of the government contracts when one of the sweet deals they had with the military expired, I was to say back in 1999 which is one of the reasons I left. They had some crazy deal where they had like first right of refusal on all IT contracts or something. The exited the workstation business shortly thereafter. Haven't really kept up with them to see what they are doing these days, just looked on their website and they are opening a new headquarters in Madison.

Really its going not only give jobs from the Huntsville area (Madison, Decatur, Athens, etc..), but people will come from upstate Tennessee to work.

Some of the more recent manufacturing coups have included a wink and a nod to hire in-state employees. Off the top of my head, I believe the VW plant in Chattanooga has almost no employees from GA although it's just down the road. Alabama officials aren't going to spend almost $70MM to create jobs for Tennesseans, although it's good for the entire region. Since they're refitting an existing plant, I don't think the construction boost will be as big (and the government contribution is less, thankfully) than if they were starting with fresh site prep and construction.

Regardless, it is a huge get for the State, and although some aspects of the proposed activity will increase the Huntsville area's cyclical dependence on government spending, it bodes well in the State's attempt to diversify its manufacturing base with quality companies.

RTR,

Tim

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/02/alabamas_incentive_offer_to_re.html

Some of the more recent manufacturing coups have included a wink and a nod to hire in-state employees. Off the top of my head, I believe the VW plant in Chattanooga has almost no employees from GA although it's just down the road. Alabama officials aren't going to spend almost $70MM to create jobs for Tennesseans, although it's good for the entire region. Since they're refitting an existing plant, I don't think the construction boost will be as big (and the government contribution is less, thankfully) than if they were starting with fresh site prep and construction.

Regardless, it is a huge get for the State, and although some aspects of the proposed activity will increase the Huntsville area's cyclical dependence on government spending, it bodes well in the State's attempt to diversify its manufacturing base with quality companies.

RTR,

Tim

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/02/alabamas_incentive_offer_to_re.html

Annnnnnnnd I get derailed.

Back
Top Bottom