| FTBL Rejoice - the expanded Playoff will make games like last night less important

Secondand26

The game last night ruined our season.

By expanding the playoffs - which were done as an answer to Alabama fatigue - the game last night would be way less important and Bama would still be a national concern.

Let’s see CNS’s response in the next month or so and buckle up. Expansion gives us many more opportunities. I’m sure this wasn’t the intent, but I believe it will be the case.

By expanding the playoffs - which were done as an answer to Alabama fatigue - the game last night would be way less important and Bama would still be a national concern.

Let’s see CNS’s response in the next month or so and buckle up. Expansion gives us many more opportunities. I’m sure this wasn’t the intent, but I believe it will be the case.
I agree. Like 2019.
More important games in the future

I truly get the sentiment that your bringing. I do.

However, the team that took the field last night would get absolutely waxed against a top seed in the playoffs. Championship football doesn't beat itself.

Expanding the play off will do what expanding the BCS did -- it will favor the programs with the biggest facilities and recruiting budgets. Adding games to a season adds player attrition which adds playing opportunities for more underclassmen which adds to the recruiting pitches of the best recruiters. Thus, more games will hurt cinderella programs disproportionately. We will never see a Boise St-like team winning or sharing a national title ever again. This is how the system keeps feeding and rewarding the "Too Big To Fail" programs.

I say rather than expand the play off needlessly, just reduce FBS by about half and make every opponent on the schedule from a FBS power conference.

I truly get the sentiment that your bringing. I do.

However, the team that took the field last night would get absolutely waxed against a top seed in the playoffs. Championship football doesn't beat itself.
I know what you are saying. But my point is that just like the NFL & NCAA basketball, the BEST team usually does not win. The HOTTEST team usually does. I don’t like this btw, I like for the regular season to really matter. But I don’t think any coach would really relish the idea of facing CNS in a playoff game. Just my thoughts…

I know what you are saying. But my point is that just like the NFL & NCAA basketball, the BEST team usually does not win. The HOTTEST team usually does. I don’t like this btw, I like for the regular season to really matter. But I don’t think any coach would really relish the idea of facing CNS in a playoff game. Just my thoughts…
Typically I’d agree with you but I don’t think this Saban team scares any of the playoff caliber teams as is usually the case. We didn’t want to admit it but most of us knew early on this wasn’t a championship quality Bama team. We kept making excuses for them while holding out hope that the close wins and the close loss would wake them up and poof we’d see the real Bama. The truth is we saw the real Bama against Texas. Nothing and I do mean nothing about this team has changed for the better since that game.

No it won’t. Too many “fans” aren’t satisfied unless Alabama is undefeated and ranked #1. Getting in at #10 or #12 won’t cause much excitement.
You’re right but the “fans” you’re dismissing are a big reason why Bama is synonymous with championships. Our fan base demands excellence … always has and always will. Great sports teams all share that kind of fan. You won’t see Yankees fans happy that their boys made it to the playoffs only to lose in the first round either. Bama has won NC’s in every decade but two since the 1920’s (50’s and 80’s) … that’s 9 out of 11. That doesn’t happen by accident. We expect excellence and that means championships. Auburn fans just want one win all season and they base their happiness on that game alone. Not so with Bama fans even though we despise the tiggers.

You’re right but the “fans” you’re dismissing are a big reason why Bama is synonymous with championships. Our fan base demands excellence … always has and always will. Great sports teams all share that kind of fan. You won’t see Yankees fans happy that their boys made it to the playoffs only to lose in the first round either. Bama has won NC’s in every decade but two since the 1920’s (50’s and 80’s) … that’s 9 out of 11. That doesn’t happen by accident. We expect excellence and that means championships. Auburn fans just want one win all season and they base their happiness on that game alone. Not so with Bama fans even though we despise the tiggers.
And a team that lost 2 games on last play of game to 2 other top 10 teams

Like 2019. Ic bama got FG vs AU and got in
Or even 2013 before cFPs

Not counting on anything but Ark beats Lsu this weekend. And then lose to AnM

Anything can happen in CF

Typically I’d agree with you but I don’t think this Saban team scares any of the playoff caliber teams as is usually the case. We didn’t want to admit it but most of us knew early on this wasn’t a championship quality Bama team. We kept making excuses for them while holding out hope that the close wins and the close loss would wake them up and poof we’d see the real Bama. The truth is we saw the real Bama against Texas. Nothing and I do mean nothing about this team has changed for the better since that game.
I agree with you. But, I still don’t think any of them want to face this team, because of potential (hate that word) and talent - which can bite you in the ass on any particular game.

Back
Top Bottom