| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious... why are we comparing Bear to Saban? It was different era..Era... how they both handled things are completely different. You can't assume what Bear did back then is gonna be a reflection of what Saban will likely do. I really hate comparing both when it come to their ages. That's not fair at all.

See @BamaFan334 post. Its right on

But i will say....its interesting.....
it means little to nothing...

And as an experienced "ager".
Comfortable is very much so...

Not even thinking NS is there.... but....
Our D sux.....with good to outstanding talent....
And through the years..when NS had mediocre performance....from ACs
He made changes...because he doesn’t accept
..mediocrity.....

E8A78088-FF81-4F7E-AF4B-0DF8B4A006B0.png

Just interesting....

There's a guy currently at Georgia who'd be a perfect replacement. Glenn Schumann. The guy is a fantastic coach and has shown he's capable as a play caller. Their wouldn't be anymore busted, or miscommunication because he preaches simplifying calls and making sure everyone knows what their job is. He's also a great recruiter and developer of talent. We need to go get him.

I like him a lot, tons of potential. Mentioned him a couple weeks ago... Several reasons he would be a good fit.

What about Hutzler? Heard he's gone? is this still true?

More than likely, gone. 2 or 3 more could be as well.

Perhaps Coach Saban is helping to sell Golding to a team who needs a HC. He's a helluva recruiter, yes, but...

Saban would find him a landing spot if needed, but I don't believe he'd have any issues getting a respectable DC position. Several SEC teams would go after him.

This isn't a defense of Golding, I've stated what I'd prefer to see happen. But, how many people would be surprised to know that Bama's defense leads the SEC in yards per play? And UGA is the only one even close to them. Another thing that stands out, UGA's defense has been on the field for 659 plays this season (leads the SEC). Alabama has been on the field for 761 plays. The Tide defense has had some overall bad games and some really bad series this season, but the Tide offense has continually put them in bad spots with too many 3 and outs/short drives. The lack of turnovers by the defense has also hurt.... the question there is, is that a coaching issue or is this year a statistical outlier? I can't answer that. The belief that mental errors have resulted in much of the poor play also has plenty of merit. Again though, the question is what is the cause of the busts? Is the overall system too complicated for this group to grasp? Are the coaches doing a poor job of getting them to understand it? Are the players just not putting in the time needed off the field etc? I suspect it's a combination of a couple of things, but again, I can't answer. Regardless if Golding is still the DC in '23 or not, I firmly believe changes in scheme and other positions need to occur, including an overall improvement of the analysts (which is easier said than accomplished).

Didn’t I see it on a broadcast from an earlier in the year game that Alabama had like 7 former head coaches, defensive coordinators, or NFL coaches on its defensive staff alone serving a variety of roles? With that much brain power you have to think a lot of their woes come from poor execution and recognition of play calling. Right?

Didn’t I see it on a broadcast from an earlier in the year game that Alabama had like 7 former head coaches, defensive coordinators, or NFL coaches on its defensive staff alone serving a variety of roles? With that much brain power you have to think a lot of their woes come from poor execution and recognition of play calling. Right?
That or those NFL guys aren’t going up against NFL schemes. Saban’s in the same boat. His defenses work great against pro sets but as we’ve seen they don’t do so well against spread offenses with anywhere close to equal talent.

What about our line coach? When he was at Kentucky he had them in the Joe Moore award?

What about our line coach? When he was at Kentucky he had them in the Joe Moore award?

Excellent question here. I am willing to give him a chance to come in and work with some talent, but this year has ben a mess. I think we missed on Steen big time, and have seen struggles up the middle as well. Someone else with better knowledge of the line will have to give us some insight there.

Excellent question here. I am willing to give him a chance to come in and work with some talent, but this year has ben a mess. I think we missed on Steen big time, and have seen struggles up the middle as well. Someone else with better knowledge of the line will have to give us some insight there.
We talk about BOB, but it start with the line first!

I firmly believe its a mix of several things. Some of the stuff I mentioned, but also the way they get attacked by opposing OC's that try and capitalize on the complicated nature of the coverages. Now, those teams also have to have the weapons to make it work for 4 quarters... But we've seen it with Kiffin in 2020. Mullen in the SECCG. Certainly Heupel this year. I think it was Jordan Rodgers who mentioned after the A&M game that Jimbo's offense was night and day different from any A&M game up to that point with the amount of motion they ran to confuse coverage assignments. There is a reason Saban's teams can shut down Mike Leach in their sleep... it's a cookie cutter, Groundhog Day offense that plays into UA's strengths. I'm also in the camp of: the pendulum with some staff positions swung too far to the recruiting side than the coaching side. That's been an area that Saban has been trying to calibrate for a while now. Recruiting ability is always going to be extremely high on his list when he hires an assistant, but I do wonder in this new world of recruiting with NIL and free agency style transfers, if it doesn't make a lot of sense to put more weight on the coaching side of the scale. Most of these kids are just chasing money out of HS... you can be the best recruiter in the SEC, but if a kid is trading his signature for the biggest NIL deal, it doesn't matter one bit. The better recruiters have been neutered by NIL.

Doubt a lateral move would happen. Good play caller though!
What makes it a lateral move for him? He's be getting more money than he's making now, Georgia could match it, but they're paying Muschamp the same amount of money that Schumann is making. Which is stupid. It's his Alma mater, and it be a seamless transition since Alabama and Georgia run the exact same defensive system. I at least want to try to get him, I'd be more pissed off if we didn't.

This isn't a defense of Golding, I've stated what I'd prefer to see happen. But, how many people would be surprised to know that Bama's defense leads the SEC in yards per play? And UGA is the only one even close to them. Another thing that stands out, UGA's defense has been on the field for 659 plays this season (leads the SEC). Alabama has been on the field for 761 plays. The Tide defense has had some overall bad games and some really bad series this season, but the Tide offense has continually put them in bad spots with too many 3 and outs/short drives. The lack of turnovers by the defense has also hurt.... the question there is, is that a coaching issue or is this year a statistical outlier? I can't answer that. The belief that mental errors have resulted in much of the poor play also has plenty of merit. Again though, the question is what is the cause of the busts? Is the overall system too complicated for this group to grasp? Are the coaches doing a poor job of getting them to understand it? Are the players just not putting in the time needed off the field etc? I suspect it's a combination of a couple of things, but again, I can't answer. Regardless if Golding is still the DC in '23 or not, I firmly believe changes in scheme and other positions need to occur, including an overall improvement of the analysts (which is easier said than accomplished).
Ok. Stats are for CFOs.....
Watching this team....last 2 years teams....the D players made plays...we do and did have outstanding players...the D looked mediocre....unorganized...this year ...
Last year...year before... the D backfield looked lostvs TN...and then backed up 30 yards giving them 2 catches to get in FG range...in 17 seconds...good grief
They have made mediocre QBs look like Heisman winners..see texas A$Ms QB lastyear...
I saw every game....i couldnt believe....

Another possible factor, has our strength and conditioning program slipped since one of those 2 main guys left us? Is the 4th quarter program not what it used to be?

Completely my opinion, but I think the thing that is missed is more the attitude that Cochran would bring and his closeness with the players. He knew how to push buttons and motivate.

Ok. Stats are for CFOs.....
Watching this team....last 2 years teams....the D players made plays...we do and did have outstanding players...the D looked mediocre....unorganized...this year ...
Last year...year before... the D backfield looked lostvs TN...and then backed up 30 yards giving them 2 catches to get in FG range...in 17 seconds...good grief
They have made mediocre QBs look like Heisman winners..see texas A$Ms QB lastyear...
I saw every game....i couldnt believe....

I agree stats should come with salt packets.

I agree stats should come with salt packets.
Golding isn't a good coordinator, he makes some of the stupidest calls during key downs. Like against Tennessee, it was 3rd&long, he calls a blitz that involves both of the inside backers, I don't mind being aggressive and trying to disrupt the QB. But if you dial up that kind of blitz, make sure every area if the field is covered. I mean for Christ sake we were in dime and had an extra DB in the field, there's no excuse for it. They ended up getting a big first down and I believe went to score (which happened a lot).

Golding isn't a good coordinator, he makes some of the stupidest calls during key downs. Like against Tennessee, it was 3rd&long, he calls a blitz that involves both of the inside backers, I don't mind being aggressive and trying to disrupt the QB. But if you dial up that kind of blitz, make sure every area if the field is covered. I mean for Christ sake we were in dime and had an extra DB in the field, there's no excuse for it. They ended up getting a big first down and I believe went to score (which happened a lot).
That was a big play....

Seems every year we have 1-2-3 of these D games where we just ...play like that...then...there are a few we do well on D...

Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom