| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In similar situations with personnel, both O'Brien and Rees were a lot alike in their offensive approaches this past season. The base personnel? Identical. There were some differences (like TE use as mentioned) but that was based on personnel—who were the playmakers. Both used a 3 wide set with a TE which occasionally morphed into what we all know as Bama's Ace set.

Coincidentally, the season before last gave both coaches more skilled players. The offense for ND, like O'Brien's at Bama, was among the national leaders in running and passing with efficiency numbers in the top ten. Again, running the same base personnel.

As you let that sink in ...

There is a benefit here for the offense ... it's an easier transition to a new coordinator: far more easier than we saw with the Nuss to Kiffin transition.
So, now you got me looking...

Rees was calling an entirely shorthanded offense the entire year and as it went on, he had things humming despite playing shorthanded. Starting quarterback Buchner got hurt in the second half of the second game and Drew Pyne, bless his little Rudy-type heart, wasn’t a viable solution. Yet with an extreme lack of developed talent at receiver, two true sophomores starting at his offensive tackle spots (that were both great by years end), and having to replace Kyren Williams in the backfield, Rees and Notre Dame schemed their way to success. This team was never built to score 40 points a game last year when fully healthy. They also averaged 38.7 points per game over their final seven contests (6-1 record including a bowl win over South Carolina).

Monken flamed out of the NFL once..,and quit a decent College head coach job for the Nfl..if he was wise he would stay where he is.. but I hope not..
He interviewed with Tampa a week or so ago & just had his 2nd interview with Baltimore yesterday. Here's hoping!

Let’s see what bowl cut can do replacing coordinators every 2-3 years. Would certainly love it if the Univ Ala grad
co DC would bolt… (it was requested that his name not be mentioned). Can anyone verify if he has been seriously approached/considered for DC?

Let’s see what bowl cut can do replacing coordinators every 2-3 years. Would certainly love it if the Univ Ala grad
co DC would bolt… (it was requested that his name not be mentioned). Can anyone verify if he has been seriously approached/considered for DC?
Had an affect on clemson for sure..

Nick's been good at replacing coaches...

May be harder than recruiters

JMO but the OC at UGA is the best in the OC. He is able to get more receivers into an area than your defense can cover. I think he is counting on your defensive players making mistakes as to which receiver your to cover. I see the Fins are paying their new DC 4.5 million so if that is kind of in the ballpark of what Monken will make, then UGA will not match.

I do believe Nick's age is a factor and will get worse when trying to hire. Tommy is rolling the dice.

I do believe Nick's age is a factor and will get worse when trying to hire. Tommy is rolling the dice.

I get the notion about CNS age. But the recruiting classes that he keeps bringing in begs to differ. This last class is a prime example where all the kids signing up in December were well aware the OC & DC positions will be in flux. BUT, they were able to bet on CNS.

As long as CNS can recruit on the level he does, we'll be in a solid position to win championships. And his age hasn't exposed any shortcomings with recruiting.

I get the notion about CNS age. But the recruiting classes that he keeps bringing in begs to differ. This last class is a prime example where all the kids signing up in December were well aware the OC & DC positions will be in flux. BUT, they were able to bet on CNS.

As long as CNS can recruit on the level he does, we'll be in a solid position to win championships. And his age hasn't exposed any shortcomings with recruiting.
The thing about people that hang their hat CNS’s age is that they will repeat it every year. Eventually, they will be correct and will crow about it- not admitting that they were wrong for 5-8 years.
We don’t know how his age is going to affect his job performance because we’ve never really encountered many coaches that have his focus & drive.
See “experts” such as Finebaum who started predicting Saban would retire after his 2nd & 3rd natties at Alabama.

In similar situations with personnel, both O'Brien and Rees were a lot alike in their offensive approaches this past season. The base personnel? Identical. There were some differences (like TE use as mentioned) but that was based on personnel—who were the playmakers. Both used a 3 wide set with a TE which occasionally morphed into what we all know as Bama's Ace set.

Coincidentally, the season before last gave both coaches more skilled players. The offense for ND, like O'Brien's at Bama, was among the national leaders in running and passing with efficiency numbers in the top ten. Again, running the same base personnel.

As you let that sink in ...

There is a benefit here for the offense ... it's an easier transition to a new coordinator: much easier than we saw with the Nuss to Kiffin transition.
That being said, I like his ownership of the offensive issues and not throwing any players under the bus.

I also like that he uses more misdirection and RPO than BoB. He may run a SIMILAR system but it would be hard to call it the same system. He's also been known to change things during the season if his plan isn't working, something BoB did not do very well. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at the slight changes on offense that make a big difference from last year.

That being said, I like his ownership of the offensive issues and not throwing any players under the bus.

I also like that he uses more misdirection and RPO than BoB. He may run a SIMILAR system but it would be hard to call it the same system. He's also been known to change things during the season if his plan isn't working, something BoB did not do very well. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at the slight changes on offense that make a big difference from last year.
Nothing wrong with running the same system, as long as you do it better.

I don’t post a lot but damn a discussion this big, the Dude has to weigh in.
Rees - the more negative I hear, the more I love it.
Examples- lane Kiffin- total meltdown. He’s a joke, he leaves teams in worst shape, etc etc etc. Now they reference him as CNS’s best evolution and being able to adapt.
Sark - the falcons are worst in NFL, he can’t scheme. Lots of meltdown on this board. Some defended him, so major props, but lots of negative talk. He was best OC we have had IMO.
BOB - lots of praise when hired. Not major meltdown, and honestly he did a really good job, but here at Bama, we require more. And he was no Sark. He was no Lane. I Wish him the best, but I personally feel he didn’t meet expectations.
IMO - Nick still sees what’s going on big picture, knows what we need, and I love
the hire.
Btw I love seeing this much activity on the board again. Just the Dudes opinion, but trust the goat and his goat fuel.

I don’t post a lot but damn a discussion this big, the Dude has to weigh in.
Rees - the more negative I hear, the more I love it.
Examples- lane Kiffin- total meltdown. He’s a joke, he leaves teams in worst shape, etc etc etc. Now they reference him as CNS’s best evolution and being able to adapt.
Sark - the falcons are worst in NFL, he can’t scheme. Lots of meltdown on this board. Some defended him, so major props, but lots of negative talk. He was best OC we have had IMO.
BOB - lots of praise when hired. Not major meltdown, and honestly he did a really good job, but here at Bama, we require more. And he was no Sark. He was no Lane. I Wish him the best, but I personally feel he didn’t meet expectations.
IMO - Nick still sees what’s going on big picture, knows what we need, and I love
the hire.
Btw I love seeing this much activity on the board again. Just the Dudes opinion, but trust the goat and his goat fuel.

Don't forget Locksley... Terrible failure of a HC, nobody else must have wanted the job. Daboll? Who the fuck? Belichick is pawning this guy off on Nick so he can get rid of him, what a disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom