| FTBL Ranking the games for this fall/ Home and away

Max

What are the qualities needed to produce an epic college football road trip.

Really, it depends on what you are looking for. Game day atmosphere, venue and quality of opponent rank at the top of my list of preferences. For Alabama fans, just about every Crimson Tide road game in 2015 will check all three boxes.

Remember when it seemed like UA caught a break on the road every other year? That won't be the case this time around. In Wisconsin, Georgia, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Auburn, Alabama will face five teams that posted a combined record of 47-19 in 2014.

Given the road slate, whether you touch them all while tailing the Tide during the coming season or hit just one or two, chances are you'll get your money's worth. As is the case with just about everything else, however, some trips rank higher than others.

With that, here's one guy's priority listing for what looks to be a season full of can't-miss trips.

5.] Wisconsin
When: Sept. 5, 2015
Where: AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX
Alabama's all-time record at venue: 1-0
Way-too-early storylines: The Paul Chryst era at Wisky gets underway with a game against Alabama, which will take on its second Big 10 opponent in as many games. Likewise, the Badgers will follow up their Outback Bowl win over Auburn with another SEC opponent. The game will signal the second straight year that the Crimson Tide has opened a season with a new starter behind center.
Why you should go: I'm on record as being anti-neutral site for openers, so don't look to me for inspiration when trying to decide between a weekend in the Metroplex or Labor Day at the lake or beach. About the only thing I can come up with is that the game will indeed signal the start of another season. And I guess you could say you were there when the Badgers and Crimson Tide met for the first time since 1928.
Why you might go the high-def route instead : There are too many good on-campus trips down the road to burn one on a "classic" played in an NFL stadium. Oh, and tailgating in 1,000-degree Texas heat in a parking lot? No thanks, I did that at South Carolina back in 2005.

4.] Mississippi State
When: Nov. 14, 2015
Where: Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS
Alabama's all-time record at venue: 17-4
Way-too-early storyline: With Dak Prescott back at quarterback and MSU playing at home, is this the year that State head coach Dan Mullen finally gets over the Alabama hump?
Why you should go: It'll be your first glimpse of the Bullies' expanded home, which saw its capacity increase by a little more than 6,000 as a part of a $75 million project that was completed in time for the 2014 season. Plus, it's the easiest trip for most of the UA fanbase to make, especially if the game draws its first 2:30 pm CT start in Starkville since 2005.
Why you might go the high-def route instead: In a word, cowbells.

3.] Georgia
When: Oct. 3, 2015
Where: Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA
Alabama's all-time record at venue: 12-7
Way-too-early storylines: Blackout, anyone? UGA went that route for Alabama in 2008 and the Crimson Tide proceeded to boat race the Bulldogs. Pupil-mentor matchup with UGA defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt going against his old boss, Nick Saban.
Why you should go: Forget about football, I've made road trips to Athens to see bands like Drive-By Truckers at the 40 Watt. I mean, if DBT front man Patterson Hood calls it home, the town can't be all bad, right? From a football standpoint, Georgia running back Nick Chubb going against Alabama's defensive front seven will be something you will want to consume in person.
Why you might go the high-def route instead: I still enjoy the town, but I don't necessarily think campus and town growth has been the best thing for Athens. Required? Probably. As a result, though, I think UGA has lost some if its charm. Nothing comes easy when trying to navigate downtown and the campus these days. If anything it makes me appreciate how Alabama has gone about construction on the north side of campus. While the city and state haven't kept pace from an infrastructure standpoint, UA seems to have done its part to handle the enrollment spike the school has experienced since 2007.

2.] Texas A&M
When: Oct. 17, 2015
Where: Kyle Field, College Station, TX
Alabama's all-time record at venue: 2-0
Way-too-early storyline: Aggies hope new defensive coordinator John Chavis will have some answers for an Alabama offense that has put up 101 points against A&M in the teams' last two meetings.
Why you should go: Like MSU, it will be a different venue than what Alabama has experienced in the past. In the time between the end of last season and the kickoff to the 2015 campaign, the SEC's largest stadium (capacity 102,512) will have undergone a $450 million renovation. The centerpiece of the ambitious project is the west side of the stadium, which was completely demolished in December. On the field, there are rumors of the Aggies actually fielding a defense this season. There are also memories of that first-ever shutout head coach Kevin Sumlin will look to erase following A&M's nightmarish performance in Tuscaloosa last season.
Why you might want to choose the high-def route instead: Other than the long haul, I can't really make a good argument against making this trip. Even the weather should be far better this time than it was early on in the 2013 season, when the Crimson Tide outlasted A&M in a mid-September slug-fest.

1.] Auburn
When: Nov. 28, 2015
Where: Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn AL
Alabama's all-time record at venue: 4-8
Way-too-early storylines: The double nickels job Alabama did on the Tigers in last year's meeting went a long way in a change being made at the defensive coordinator spot at Auburn. Will Muschamp will look to keep UA under 38 points, something he wasn't able to do in two meetings with the Crimson Tide during his time as Florida's head coach.
Why you should go: As a venue, Jordan-Hare probably ranks last on this list. Buy, hey, this is the Iron Bowl, so we tend to overlook aesthetics. Besides, making the trip will allow you to fetch the remains of the aorta that was ripped from your chest Dalton-from-Roadhouse-style in 2013. The possibility of winning in their rival's house -- and the potential for a post-game "Rammer Jammer" in said crib -- is enough to keep most Tide fans coming back.
Why you might go the high-def route instead: Alabama hasn't just lost games at Jordan-Hare. Dating back to 1993, the Crimson Tide has invented new and soul-crushing ways to lose on the Plains. From Jay Barker's knee injury that year to the fumble in 1997 to the kick six in 2013, no other road venue has produced as much heartburn for Bama fans as this one.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Article/Ranking-the-2015-road-games-35963055

HOME GAMES- 2015

Nick Saban's 2013 and 2014 teams both ran the table at Bryant-Denny Stadium, a feat that may not seem all that impressive for a program that has averaged 12 wins per season since 2008. However, the fact that UA absorbed home defeats in each of the previous three seasons, including national championship campaigns in 2011 and 2012, suggests it may not have been as easy to pull off as some think.

Alabama wasn't just good at home a season ago. The Crimson Tide was downright dominant, outscoring opponents, 322-111, in Tuscaloosa. In sweeping seven foes, UA's average margin of victory was 30 points per game.

Looking ahead to the 2015 season, it sets up similarly to what Alabama experienced in 2014. Once again, there will be three home games following a neutral site opener. Instead of three road games in October, though, there will be just two this time around. Also missing will be back-to-back road games in the season's first two months, something last year's team encountered not once but twice.

November will bring an LSU team looking to snap a four-game losing streak to the Crimson Tide to Bryant-Denny. Unlike a year ago, the SEC West likely won't be won in Tuscaloosa, however. The flip of the schedule will put UA on the road for its final two league games of the campaign, with Mississippi State and Auburn both looking to avenge defeats from the final month of the 2014 season.

The tendency for Alabama fans in most odd-numbered years has been to look beyond September and October visitors and point toward LSU in November. That won't be the case in 2015. Instead, a an early-season showdown with Ole Miss followed by October dates with a pair of rejuvenated teams in Arkansas and Tennessee should have their undivided attention.

And thank goodness for that because the non-conference lineup for 2015 is (once again) underwhelming.

As it is, season ticket holders won't be asked to stroke a check for LSU and little else. In fact, with Ole Miss, Arkansas and Tennessee joining the Tigers as legitimate threats to win on the road, Tide Priders may get more bang for their bucks than they'd like.

Raking Alabama's seven home games for the 2015 season

7.] Charleston Southern
When: Nov. 21, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. CSU in Tuscaloosa: 0-0
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Former UA walk-on and graduate assistant Gabe Giardinia returns to his alma mater as the Bucs' offensive coordinator. Other than that, I've got nothing.

6.] Louisiana Monroe
When: Sept. 26, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. ULM in Tuscaloosa: 0-1
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Nerves will be on edge as the Crimson Tide attempts to move its record against the Warhawks back to .500.

5.] Middle Tennessee State
When: Sept. 12, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. MTSU in Tuscaloosa: 1-0
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Former American Christian Academy starAustin Grammer is slated to return to his hometown as the Blue Raiders' starting quarterback. As a sophomore last season, Grammer passed for 2,557 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushed for 442 yards and six scores. Joining Grammer for a homecoming of sorts will be MTSU cornerbackJamarcus Howard. The Tuscaloosa Northridge graduate saw action in eight games as a junior in 2014.

4.] Arkansas
When: Oct. 10, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. UA in Tuscaloosa: 8-3
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Bret Bielema can barely contain himself. Listen to the Hogs' boss talk about the direction of his team and it is clear that he truly believes the Razorbacks are on the cusp of a Western Division championship. Given the way they finished the 2014 season -- winning four of their last six games -- his excitement is somewhat warranted. While I'm a fan of his blunt-force style of offensive play, a power running game may not be the best approach when taking on Alabama's 2015 defense. With that, an improved Hogs passing game that returns several key pieces will need to be at its best.

3.] Tennessee
When: Oct. 24, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. UT in Tuscaloosa: 7-4
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Very similar to Arkansas in that UT coachButch Jones has Big Orange nation believing. Like the Razorbacks, the Vols went 4-2 down the stretch of the 2014 season, partying after a Taxslayer.com Bowl win over Iowa like it was January 1999. Jones will bring his team to Tuscaloosa coming off a bye week, something it will need after taking on Florida, Arkansas and Georgia in succession.

2.] Ole Miss
When: Sept. 19, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. Ole Miss in Tuscaloosa: 26-1
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Rebels head to Bryant-Denny looking to post back-to-back wins over the Crimson Tide for the first time in program history. Think about that for a second: Ole Miss has never won two straight in a series that spans 62 contests. Given that both teams should reach game week at 2-0, this may rank as one of the most anticipated games of the season's opening month.

1.] LSU
When: Nov. 7, 2015
Alabama's all-time record vs. LSU in Tuscaloosa: 11-9
What makes this game worth the price of admission: Who needs admission to this one? Just hang out on the Quad and take in the sights and sounds that come with a visit from the Tigers and you'll be more than entertained. I like to think of this rivalry as the Florida-Georgia of the Western Division. The competition on the field is always fierce but the tailgate may be even more competitive. I don't think any other UA home game draws an on-campus crowd like this one does every other year. As for the game itself, former UA assistant Kevin Steele will return to Tuscaloosa as LSU's defensive coordinator -- but it isn't the defense that Tiger fans are concerned about.

the Crimson Tide has invented new and soul-crushing ways to lose on the Plains

I try to avoid thinking about them ..

tumblr_inline_nkq4p1If8f1shrb8p.gif

Athens destroys Auburn in all ways but one as far as best road trip. The Iron Bowl is much more heated than any rivalry, so that will never be beat. But aAthens is a much much more beautiful place than Auburn. The tailgating at Georgia is way better. Never felt like a great atmosphere at Auburn in my eyes. Downtown Athens destroys any other college "downtown" I have been to with Ole Miss coming in second. The competition between Georgia and Alabama has been heated more than most after the SEC Championship. We take recruits out of Georgia every year. Our women and their women are a combo like no other. Plus I feel like we always have the edge over them since we can win a big game, ha ha. So as far as road trips are concerned, Athens outta be #1 and the one folks should circle. Auburn blows.

Which of these teams do you see as having the biggest threat--on offense/passing--out of all these teams? Going against what @BamaFan334 said, it's not about what the experience is like...I'm thinking more on a personnel group versus personnel group.

I'd be tempted to put Ole Miss as one to watch but we simply don't know enough about how "Swag" is going to do under center. My gut tells me it'll be the A&M game.

How much credit do we give Mike Bobo for the quarterback development in Athens? As much, or more, as Richt?

Which of these teams do you see as having the biggest threat--on offense/passing--out of all these teams? Going against what @BamaFan334 said, it's not about what the experience is like...I'm thinking more on a personnel group versus personnel group.

I'd be tempted to put Ole Miss as one to watch but we simply don't know enough about how "Swag" is going to do under center. My gut tells me it'll be the A&M game.

How much credit do we give Mike Bobo for the quarterback development in Athens? As much, or more, as Richt?

As far as offense and passing, I think we better be ready for LSU. Those guys will be a year older. Fournette setting up the pass, Durall and Dupree on the outside is so much speed and ability that they definitely have options. LSU will always field a team more athletic than who they face, it's just whether or not they can put it all together. I think Anthonh Jennings will put it together and have a much better season. Heck, we've seen countless times the SEC chew and spit out freshman quarterbacks. They'll be ready to play this Fall.

@BamaFan334 You have more fan in what they are going to accomplish on offense than what I'd estimate as 9 of 10 of their "vocal" fan base.

ATVS posted some thoughts on their offense within the last few days; they try to put a little hope in the spring camp. (It's an SBNation site, btw.)

To rank the games in order of degree of difficulty based on personnel, I'd go with A&M one, Ole Piss two, Viles three. Offensive personnel for A&M worries me at their place. A quick start and their fanbase will rev it up! Defensively, even with Chavis, they don't strike a lot of fear. A&M reminds of the Barn 2.0. The Barn doesn't get ranked in my top 3 simply because their perimeter people are unknowns beyond Duke Williams and their defense doesn't strike much fear even with Muschamp calling the shots. My #2 Ole Piss has the pieces on offense on the edge. Their run game is an unknown and who knows what "Swag" brings at the QB position. Their defense should be their strength. The Viles round out my top 3. Butch Jones is putting together a talented roster. We helped them find their QB, and they have a good run game and perimeter guys. Defense will be decent but has got some thin spots at LB. I read recently, that they are looking to dropping a couple of safeties down to LB in an attempt to add depth.

ESPN's spring camp capsule on LSU...

Schedule: LSU opens spring practice on Saturday with a workout at 11:45 a.m. ET. They will scrimmage on March 21 and March 28 and will hold their National L-Club Spring Game on April 18 at 2 p.m. ET. No practices will be held April 4-12 during LSU’s spring break.

What’s new: The Tigers have three new assistant coaches this spring, including a new defensive coordinator in Kevin Steele. When longtime defensive coordinator John Chavis split for Texas A&M after LSU’s bowl loss to Notre Dame, his close friend Steele left a position at Alabama to join Les Miles’ staff. LSU introduced Steele and new defensive line coach Ed Orgeron, who replaces Brick Haley, at the same news conference in January. Finally, former Georgia assistant Tony Ball takes over as receivers coach after Adam Henry accepted a job with the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers.

[+] EnlargeBrandon Harris
Derick E. Hingle/USA TODAY Sports
The Tigers desperately need either Anthony Jennings, left, or Brandon Harris to take seize the starting QB position and give the offense balance.
On the move: Nothing is set in stone yet, but there could be some movement along the offensive line. When they announced in January that they would return for the 2015 season, left guard Vadal Alexander and right tackle Jerald Hawkins said they both expected to play tackle this fall. Ethan Pocic, meanwhile, is capable of playing any position on the line after starting at center and guard last season. It will also be interesting to see what defensive backs coach Corey Raymond does with senior Jalen Mills. Mills can play either safety, where he started last season, or cornerback, where he started for the two seasons before that. The Tigers have talent at corner, but not a ton of experience.

New faces: The Tigers will have four early enrollees in camp. Two names to watch this spring are those of cornerback Kevin Toliver and running back David Ducre. Toliver was the highest-rated signee in LSU’s 2015 recruiting class (ESPN’s No. 10 overall prospect and No. 2 cornerback) and could compete for immediate playing time in the secondary. Same with Ducre, who jumps directly into the competition to replace Connor Neighbors at fullback. The Tigers also have quarterback Justin McMillan and tight end Hanner Shipley in camp as early enrollees.

Question marks: We addressed several spring storylines in greater detail in a post earlier this week. One of the leading questions entering spring practice is what shape the defense will take under Steele’s guidance. Chavis coached a 4-3 base defense and regularly deployed personnel packages with five and six defensive backs. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise to see Steele continue those alignments since that’s what the current Tigers were specifically recruited to play. But we will also likely see him add some new wrinkles -- maybe even some 3-4 looks like his defenses played under Nick Saban and Kirby Smart at Alabama.

Key battle: No question about this one. LSU will have competition at nearly every position, but the most important one is at quarterback. The single most important issue for the Tigers this season is getting more effective play from the quarterback position. Incumbent Anthony Jennings started 12 of 13 games last season, but completed just 48.9 percent of his passes and clearly didn’t frighten defenses with his passing ability. However, talented freshman Brandon Harris was unable to overtake Jennings and was a flop in his one starting opportunity against Auburn. The Tigers desperately need one of them to grab this job and develop into an effective SEC quarterback. It could mean the difference between contending in the SEC West and remaining in the middle of the pack where LSU sat last fall.

Breaking out: After a standout freshman season, safety Jamal Adams seems likely to play a key role in the secondary this fall. This is also an important time for junior defensive end Tashawn Bower to lock down one of the starting spots vacated by Jermauria Rasco and Danielle Hunter. Up front, two defensive tackles who sat out in 2014 -- Travonte Valentine and Trey Lealaimatafao -- have a chance to make an immediate impact. On offense, it will be interesting to see which pass-catchers -- receivers like Malachi Dupre, Trey Quinn, John Diarse and D.J. Chark and tight ends like DeSean Smith, Colin Jeter and Jacory Washington -- join Travin Dural as the Tigers’ most reliable targets. Dural (37 catches for 758 yards and seven TDs last season) had 20 catches and 440 receiving yards more than the next-closest Tiger in 2014.

Don't forget about: Davon Godchaux and Christian LaCouture developed into an effective combination at defensive tackle as last season progressed, after the interior line was a bit of a mess early in the fall. Should Steele tinker with the Tigers’ defensive alignments, it will be interesting to see how many ways he is able to use the duo -- both of whom would probably fit better at defensive end in a 3-4 scheme.

All eyes on: The Tigers return a pile of talent from last season’s young 8-5 team, led by star running back Leonard Fournette, but plenty of questions remain for Miles’ club. Steele’s impact will be a source of interest, but the likelihood of improvement probably rests on the job Cam Cameron does developing his quarterbacks. This is a team with enough talent to contend in the SEC West -- and maybe even for a College Football Playoff spot if everything goes smoothly. It starts with developing a more consistent passing game and a competent player under center who will prevent defenses from stacking the box to defend Fournette.

ESPN's SEC Blog—Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the tough game will be the first game against Whisky. Big, physical Oline that will just pound and ground.

I considered that and immediately came back to that strong offensive line running into the personnel group that's likely the deepest, certainly one of the most talented, we'll see the team field this season.

On my scale, Paul Chryst is still being weighed. The last two years at Pitt didn't show any improvement when compared to the two years before his arrival.

@BamaFan334 You have more fan in what they are going to accomplish on offense than what I'd estimate as 9 of 10 of their "vocal" fan base.

ATVS posted some thoughts on their offense within the last few days; they try to put a little hope in the spring camp. (It's an SBNation site, btw.)

They are always tough, they love Les, and I know he'll get them competitive. They played us damn tight the last few years when they really didn't have what some considered "talent" like in stronger years.

Back
Top Bottom