| FTBL Random musings on Alabama, from a Georgia man...

I love the Georgia-Bama game. Too bad it's not more often, but perhaps that makes it more special. Had my heart broken in '94, savored a sweet victory in '02. Always an honor to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Dad's family is from Alabama: Selma, Bessemer, Birmingham. Memories of my grandparents' house in Birmingham include elephant statues, Bear Bryant books, and a painting of the President's Mansion on the wall of the bedroom I slept in.

I love Bear Bryant. Along with Robert E. Lee, he's one of my most respected historical figures. A southern icon. Of the many commemorative Coke bottles I have on my shelf, all are for UGA except one: Bear Bryant. Must be circa 1982 or '83, saluting his career. I've read his biography and Junction Boys. I will tell my kids the stories of Bear Bryant.

The first college football game I ever attended was a Bama game at Legion Field. Grandparents took my brother and I up to "The Club" for a big brunch, then we boarded the charter busses over to Legion. That sea of crimson in that old stadium was something to behold. And I still remember a college student, in his white oxford and tie, coming up near our seats to visit with his parents. He gave me his crimson/white shaker. It's probably still buried in my old closet somewhere. I incorporated that ticket stub into a paper weight in art class that fall.

I love your state motto: We Dare Defend Our Rights. I love your state nickname, The Heart of Dixie, and wish PC didn't yank it off of your license plates. I love plain t-shirts that just say "BAMA". I loved Ollie's BBQ and their wait staff, and still stop at the Golden Rule when passing through town. I love how the heartbeat of the state is football. Everyone has an opinion, it's talked about year round. I stream Paul Finebaum at work.

I hate Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and orange in general.

All this being said, I grew up in Georgia, my beautiful state, and learned to love all things out of Athens... Coach Dooley, Erk Russell, Milledge Avenue, Allen's Hamburgers, Sanford Stadium, The Hedges, Go You Silver Britches and "Look at the sugar falling out of the sky!" The greatest college town in all of America.

I'm looking forward to another trip to the Capstone this weekend. Alabama fans have class. Alabam has my respect. It's an honor to come to your town and play such a tradition-rich football program. I hope for a great game. Go Dawgs!

Welcome to you Dawg. I think we have a good, healthy rivalry with UGA. I look forward to the game. Your team broke my heart back in '02. Hopefully we can do the breaking this time. :wink:

I live in GA, so a win would be great for me personally. Enjoy the game. Hopefully no injuries and just a well fought game by both sides. Oh, and if Stafford could have a really crappy game that would help too. :wink: :D

HOLY CRAP!!! A respectable Georgia fan! I didn't think they made those :shock: . :wink:

Just kidding man, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I've got a lot of respect for Georgia and your coach. He seems like a good man and you gotta love that his wife hands out the Gatorade at the games. Look forward to the game this week and expect it to be every bit as tough as last week's.

Welcome to the forum!

I grew up partially in N.Ga, I love the areas around Athens and Gainesville. I played football while going to school in Elberton. the Dawgs are one of my top teams. My GF was in the flag corps and I got to meet Vince Dooley and go see Hershel Walker kick it up between the hedges. Georgia is classy.

Georgia is a very special place to me.

That said;
I hope we beat the snot out of them.

:D

I was almost afraid to read the post thinking it might be another bash on my beloved team.

That said...you are truly a class act and I am glad to have you on this forum.

I have always had real respect for Ole Miss and Georgia. I don't root for them....but I like to see them doing well.

Roll Tide and I hope the game is good this weekend.

Glad to have you!

Welcome!! Looking forward to some great discussion back and forth with some classy GA fans (much like we had last week with the Arky fans……..very nice group of people by the way.)
My mother was born and raised in GA (Lakewood Heights) so I feel a connection to the state as well. My brother currently lives outside of Savannah. North GA is one of my favorite places to go…….up around Ellijay, Clayton, Dillard, Young Harris etc. Beautiful up there especially this time of year!!!

Again, WELCOME!!

And ROLL TIDE! :wink:

Great post! Welcome to the site. I was at the Bama - UGA game in 02. All of the UGA fans I met had class. UGA is one of the few teams I like in the SEC East. It should be a good game this Saturday. Stick around and post more. 8)

Great post, also you have your head on straight.

"I hate Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and orange in general. "
Me too!

I think you will fit in good, minus the go-dawgs part.

I hope to have a good clean fought football game this weekend. Go luck to your Dawgs.

APPRECIATE THOSE KIND WORDS ABOUT OR STATE AND THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA.I HAVE ALWAYS HAD ALOT OF RESPECT FOR YOUR BULLDOGS.THEY ALWAYS GIVE US A TOUGH BATTLE.MY BROTHER IN-LAW IS A BULLDAWG FAN,SO HOPEFULLY I WILL GET TO GIVE HIM A HARD TIME AFTER SATURDAY'S GAME.GOOD LUCK AND ROLL TIDE!

P.S. I HAVE TO AGREE ABOUT THOSE ORANGE JERSEYS!

Great post. I have a dear, dear girlfriend who is a UGA fan, the best kind of fan, as dedicated to her team as I am to mine. So I know there are great GA fans out there!! It was lovely to read your post, you are a great writer. That being said, Roll Tide! I hope it's a great game this weekend, we all come of out of it healthy. There can only be one winner, and it better be BAMA!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom