Question for anyone who can help

I am currently in the process of getting hired with the Alabama Dept. of Corrections and/or Shelby County Sheriffs Department. I was wondering if anyone works(ed) or knows someone who has. I am trying to get some insight to the areas as well. The shelby co. area and the bessemer area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spent about 5 years in the nnistion area when I was a kid but have been living in Arizona/Utah since. So just trying to get some info on things. Thanks, Roll Tide!

CP can't tell you about the jobs, but I can tell you about the area.

STAY THE HELL OUT OF JEFFERSON COUNTY!!! It is ran by a bunch of jack tards that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Long story short I just moved from Alabaster (Shelby county) to Gardendale (Jefferson county) Everything is more expensive in Jefferson county. Tags, property tax, everything!! As soon as I finish grad school I'm packing my crap, selling my house and moving back south to Shelby county.

If you go to work at either place Alabaster would be central to both. You could be in Bessemer in about 30 minutes and Columbiana in about 20. If you are looking to buy a home and set up shop, Columbiana is a quaint little town. Alabaster has about 25k people, Calera (8 miles south of there) has about 10K. I have lived in both Alabaster and Calera. Alabaster has a lot of new stuff restaurants, shopping, movie theater, etc. You really never have to leave to go get anything. Great place to live and is very safe. Adjacent to Bessemer is McCalla (where Bo Jackson went to high school). They have recently had a boom in population and housing, but you would still be in Jefferson county. (notice a trend) New Colonial Promenade with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. Bessemer/McCalla are comparable in size to Alabaster and what they have to offer. You have to decide if you want to have a drive to work, or do you want to be convenient and close to work. I'm not sure about apartments in McCalla. Alabaster has some, and Calera just recently added some as well.

Hope this info helps, if you have any questions shoot and I'll answer them as best I can.

I live in Pelham, just north of Alabaster. It is around 20k population wise. It is a little further from Columbianna, a little nearer Bessemer. Helena is a mainly residential area that borders on Alabaster and Pelham. It would be pretty close to Bessemer. All the Shelby County cities have a wide range in housing costs, but you can get more house for your money. Sales taxes are definitely lower than Jefferson County, as are most other local taxes.

Back
Top Bottom