| NEWS Que the "there's the land for a new arena" crowd. UA BOT buys around 10 acres including Northington Elementary.

In a Tuesday meeting, UA's Vice President of Financial Affairs Matt Fajack explained that this land would "unlock a lot of value in an adjacent piece of property."

Sitting at 1300 21st Street East, the Northington lot sits just behind Snow Hinton Park and Bowlero, and beside University Mall. An appraisal on March 2 found the land's value to be roughly $3.66 million.

Dorrill was unable to tell The Thread what this land purchase would eventually become. However, the land does sit adjacent to a 5-acre property already owned by the University which is currently used as multi-day RV parking.

The University owns 3 tracts of land in the area, including the old Fire College. This acquisition would bring the University's total land ownership in the immediate area to roughly 18 acres.

A nice place for additional student housing.

Screenshot 2021-06-19 2.23.11 PM.png

Curious as to what the University would use it.

Several years ago they were discussing student housing with some retail (similar to what they have near The Strip)... but a lot in the area has changed since then, so those plans my have changed as well. But they have made it known they want the property and at this point they are just waiting out a mall on life support.

Hmmm. Nice that they got it, but it’s not convenient for dorms or athletics.
I had a house in that area when I was in school and it was a great spot to live: a 10 minute bike ride to campus. Distance wise it isn't a lot different than The Preserves (?) behind Bauhower's.

Hypothetically, if they built a new area at the mall or over where Bryce used to be...not a lot of difference in distances between campus and the new area. The new area we're discussing here would be A LOT better with ingress and egress with game day traffic.

I had a house in that area when I was in school and it was a great spot to live: a 10 minute bike ride to campus. Distance wise it isn't a lot different than The Preserves (?) behind Bauhower's.

Hypothetically, if they built a new area at the mall or over where Bryce used to be...not a lot of difference in distances between campus and the new area. The new area we're discussing here would be A LOT better with ingress and egress with game day traffic.
It’s the “little” things. Security (UAPD) can routinely patrol Coleman Coliseum and nearby areas. The “new” location would require special security trips and delayed response times. Campus residents and those living nearby can walk to Coleman. The new location would face an increase in traffic and parking. Special buses for students? Which sports have offices in Coleman? Coaching interactions with athletes would have an increased risk of accidents (need an actuary to calculate).

Based on the way that UA currently uses the Coliseum (sports only and graduation), I would think they would need to include concerts and other events to make it efficient.

It’s the “little” things. Security (UAPD) can routinely patrol Coleman Coliseum and nearby areas. The “new” location would require special security trips and delayed response times. Campus residents and those living nearby can walk to Coleman. The new location would face an increase in traffic and parking. Special buses for students? Which sports have offices in Coleman? Coaching interactions with athletes would have an increased risk of accidents (need an actuary to calculate).

Based on the way that UA currently uses the Coliseum (sports only and graduation), I would think they would need to include concerts and other events to make it efficient.
How is a new location going to attract more traffic than a normal game day when a lot of the folks attending those games use the McFarland exit to get to University (which takes them past the location?)

Salient points with security but I don't see that as much of a drawback. I'd assume TPD would be on patrol in that area with the park and so much retail adjacent to the property.

Perhaps, to make it more efficient, they could install an ice rink for hockey!!

How is a new location going to attract more traffic than a normal game day when a lot of the folks attending those games use the McFarland exit to get to University (which takes them past the location?)

Salient points with security but I don't see that as much of a drawback. I'd assume TPD would be on patrol in that area with the park and so much retail adjacent to the property.

Perhaps, to make it more efficient, they could install an ice rink for hockey!!
McFarland and 15th Street is probably the busiest intersection In Tuscaloosa. Now all traffic for a game will go there (or very close). There are currently many options to get to Coleman- Hackberry, 359 to 15th/Bryant/University, University via Druid City. The traffic would increase as the student population would be required to drive. If they don’t drive, you probably won’t get the student attendance.

While TPD and UAPD cooperate, they don’t do the other’s jobs. TPD doesn’t have the budget to do UAPD’s job and vice versa.

If the proceed with putting a facility there, they must consider a multi-use facility.

One option to consider is to move the law school to the new location. Then use the law school land to build a new facility. It would extend the timeframe for full completion, but it maximizes the land use.

One option to consider is to move the law school to the new location. Then use the law school land to build a new facility. It would extend the timeframe for full completion, but it maximizes the land use.'
Now THAT's a good idea at first glance. That school has always operated "autonomously," to a degree, from the rest of the student body.

I'm not a big fan of moving the arena over there but I have to weigh that against what I saw happen in Columbia with their basketball facility and how well it's worked out for UofSC. Their arena is likely twice the distance, maybe more, than one would from the center of UA's campus.

McFarland and 15th Street is probably the busiest intersection In Tuscaloosa. Now all traffic for a game will go there (or very close). There are currently many options to get to Coleman- Hackberry, 359 to 15th/Bryant/University, University via Druid City. The traffic would increase as the student population would be required to drive. If they don’t drive, you probably won’t get the student attendance.
When I was in undergrad I was staying in Rose for the first semester I attended. I'd walk from Rose to Coleman. It's no shorter than a walk from Tutwiler to the mall area, and the distance between Burke and the mall area...half of that. I don't see the students and a drivce as a big deal. That said, I'm sure UA would provide shuttles like they do on game days.

Traffic? If "traffic patrol" can close a major thoroughfare for a half of an hour to let a church out on Sunday's they can handle traffic coming on a game day.

The entrances you've mentioned to T-town don't change. You come through Druid City? Turn left somewhere.

You're in Sandy Springs, right? I know how bad the traffic can get there having lived in the area. I also believe it can be handled in Tuscaloosa, easily, around basketball games. IF we are looking at a new arena, we're looking at 12-14,000 seats: a 1/10th of football traffic.

While TPD and UAPD cooperate, they don’t do the other’s jobs. TPD doesn’t have the budget to do UAPD’s job and vice versa.

If the proceed with putting a facility there, they must consider a multi-use facility.

One option to consider is to move the law school to the new location. Then use the law school land to build a new facility. It would extend the timeframe for full completion, but it maximizes the land use.
Youre hired...somebody with common sense

This thread was starting to give me a serious case of déjà vu... thumbs up to search feature for letting me know why...

Really...nobody walks anywhere...

lol

this is America...land of free...home of the mobile
Do you honestly believe as limited as parking is around campus kids are going to drive from the lot behind Ten Hoor to Coleman versus a quick walk?

Perhaps "nobody walks anywhere around my area" is apropos. I see hundreds walking to grab lunch/dinner daily. I see CoC students walking a mile or so to see their basketball team play.

We're not talking about kids living off campus although you'll see them walking and biking to school often.

Do you honestly believe as limited as parking is around campus kids are going to drive from the lot behind Ten Hoor to Coleman versus a quick walk?

Perhaps "nobody walks anywhere around my area" is apropos. I see hundreds walking to grab lunch/dinner daily. I see CoC students walking a mile or so to see their basketball team play.

We're not talking about kids living off campus although you'll see them walking and biking to school often.
Ahhhhh...was just kidding

Ahhhhh...was just kidding
Not saying we're all cut from the same cloth...but this got me thinking a second about things/places I can get to more quickly walking or biking versus driving.

• Doctor
  • Dentist
  • CVS
  • Convenience store(s.)
  • Hair salon
  • UPS/ mailing station(s.)
  • Edward Jones
  • Dollar Store
  • and a host of other things...

Back
Top Bottom