| FTBL šŸˆ PRE-GAME THREAD: Mercer brings a variation of the Wing-T and the Wishbone offense.

TerryP

Staff
Coach Saban's opening remarks on Mercer:

Mercer is a little different kind of offensive team. They had a dominant win last week. They've got a lot of starters returning. They had three really big wins last year. So this is a program that's really, really improved. They run sort of a little bit of a wishbone/wing-T offense, which is a little bit different than what we normally see, which will be challenging for our defensive players. These guys have good players relative to their level.

A lot of Saturday's game is going to be about setting the edge: something Braswell is pretty good at doing. SECN has the game at 4ET.

From yesterday morning:

E-rP2CKXIAIiL8e

A 69-0 rout of NAIA Point University was a good start for them. They look more Wing-T than Bone. I glanced at their roster, and they of course have a moderate size disadvantage. Interesting that 13 of their 17 offensive linemen are Freshmen.

A 69-0 rout of NAIA Point University was a good start for them. They look more Wing-T than Bone. I glanced at their roster, and they of course have a moderate size disadvantage. Interesting that 13 of their 17 offensive linemen are Freshmen.
Any team that from West Point, Ga. That hold a team from Macon, Ga to just 69 points can't be all that bad! Point U. itself has on been around for about 9-10 years.

After an impressive opener, Coach Drew Cronic and his Mercer Bruins migrate to the Tuscaloosa savannah for an elephant hunt this Saturday. These cubbies may find themselves in a role reversal this weekend where the hunter becomes the hunted. This will not be a Kodiak moment for these Macon maulers, as they find out the only victorious Bear in Tuscaloosa is remembered by his name on the stadium and a statue out front.

Leonardā€™s Loser ā€“ Mercer by 55

After an impressive opener, Coach Drew Cronic and his Mercer Bruins migrate to the Tuscaloosa savannah for an elephant hunt this Saturday. These cubbies may find themselves in a role reversal this weekend where the hunter becomes the hunted. This will not be a Kodiak moment for these Macon maulers, as they find out the only victorious Bear in Tuscaloosa is remembered by his name on the stadium and a statue out front.

Leonardā€™s Loser ā€“ Mercer by 55
Wow, that's great. Really brings back some fond memories!!

I'm concerned about injuries. The wishbone or wing T use a lot of cut blocks and low blocks. I know coach will have them ready but I would hate to see D lineman getting those knee injuries that are common with low blocks. Am I right in thinking that the NCAA made cut blocks illegal this year or did I dream that?

I'm concerned about injuries. The wishbone or wing T use a lot of cut blocks and low blocks. I know coach will have them ready but I would hate to see D lineman getting those knee injuries that are common with low blocks. Am I right in thinking that the NCAA made cut blocks illegal this year or did I dream that?

Here is a pretty good highlight video of the Spring 2020 Mercer/Citadel game. Their blocking schemes seem to be more typical than the heavy cut of the Wing-T. Playing a superior opponent, though, will probably increase cuts - it's the great equalizer, slowing stunts, minimizing upper body strengths, and keeping passing lanes open.

Nick trying to get this teams attention.....

-- Saban started off by recalling beating Texas A&M earlier in his tenure and ā€œbringing to peopleā€™s attentionā€ to the famous ā€œrat poisonā€ quote. Saban then continued by saying his team did not prove it could play for 60 minutes in Saturdayā€™s game against Miami. He said the team was not ready to practice Monday, and ā€œit was hotā€ on Tuesday. ā€œWe got every external factor in the world that is affecting our ability to maintain intensityā€ and practice the way they need.

-- Asked about Mondayā€™s practice, Saban said he wants to see if they have leadership and if players care enough to understand the intensity required to get better. ā€œWe have some guys that are doing the right things. Theyā€™re trying to set the right example and theyā€™re trying to pull guys along,ā€ he said. ā€œWe also have other guys that need to pick it up.ā€

-- Saban: ā€œSome people have idea that exertion through the course of the week somehow impairs your ability to play on Saturday. But really you have to have exertion during the week to be ready to play on Saturday.ā€ More Saban: ā€œWe have some guys that had it backward. Weā€™re trying to get it fixed.ā€

This may be one of those teaching games for Saban. Already hinting at such in his pressers. I am not remotely saying Bama loses but they may have a slow start. Will find out if they have the leadership and maturity to avoid it. This is more about creating the right thoughts and habits so the team grows and matures week to week so they are ready when it matters. Can't take a week off and get to where you want to go.

Alabama, beware.

The top-ranked Crimson Tide will look across the field this Saturday, and they will see an undefeated squad that not only has not been scored upon, but is averaging 69 points per game! This colossal collection of talent almost redefined the way the game is played in its opening game, running its opponent right off the field and sending it back to the locker room with a humiliating loss.

Mercer flexed its muscles like nobodyā€™s business in Week 1, putting on a performance that made observers feel like the two teams did not even belong on the same field.

The score was a crisp 42-0 by halftime. Four more touchdowns followed in the second half. With the score sitting at 69-0, backup kicker Caleb Dowden missed his only PAT attempt that kept the Bears from a 70-spot. No word on whether the first-string kicker was simply tired from the previous nine extra points or whether the team was trying to develop depth at the position.

You want the total yardage numbers? How does 778 yards grab you? Mercer never punted and managed to overcome three turnovers. So 13 drives resulted in 10 TDs, two fumbles, one INT. There is technically room for improvement.

Defensively, the ā€˜85 Bears were admiring the ā€˜21 Bears. Mercer allowed 1.9 yards on 52 plays, for a grand total of 99. It picked off a pass, forced 11 punts and did not allow the opposition to advance past the Mercer 46-yard line. It was an overwhelming show of force by a defense that simply swallowed up runners, passers and receivers for four quarters.

The recipients of this beatdown were the Point Skyhawks. Point University is a small Christian school located in West Point, Ga., that competes in the Appalachian Athletic Conference of NAIA. The Skyhawks have won 12 games in their four-plus seasons of fielding a football team.

Clearly, the powerful Bears had no business matching up against a team that had such a talent deficit. Is there anything to be gained by whipping up on a program that clearly doesnā€™t have the resources and ability to compete on the same level? Wouldnā€™t Mercer be better off scheduling at least a school that is closer aligned with its athletic goals and priorities? Mighty Mercer once beat Duke in the NCAA Tournament. It has no business dipping down to NAIA in football, basketball or any other sport..

Hopefully, we will soon see the end of these mismatches, where one team performs like an NFL team and the other is made to look like a high school team. These types of blowouts arenā€™t in the best interest of either program. Letā€™s hope Mercer and Point can get back to their proper level of competition in Week 2.

Back
Top Bottom