| FTBL Practice Report 9-16

TerryP

Staff
It was back into fulls pads today as the Tide continues its preparation for Arkansas. With three games to evaluate the coaches seem to have an indication as to the most likely players who will contribute based on the game plan. Since that changes from week to week, so do the guys who are most likely to break their way into the line up.

The Tide’s injury luck continues to be good. Marlon Davis was the only real concern and he is back now. The fact that Alabama is heading into week four without a substantial injury is a pretty incredible thing. The games are likely to get much more physical beginning this weekend, and we should get a real look at the Tide’s improved conditioning.

With Arkansas expected to be pass happy this weekend there has been extra work for Chavis Williams, who has been one of Bama’s better pass rushers in limited time. Cory Reamer is still way ahead at the Sam position, with his specialties being pass coverage and run defense. Williams is still ahead of freshman Jerrell Harris at the position, though Harris is better in run defense. When Bama matches up against more run oriented teams, expect to see Harris get more looks.

Marlon Davis was back to work with the #1 unit on the offensive line. He got some time there yesterday, though his hamstring injury was still limiting him some. If you had that type of injury then you know that it can bite you at any time during the recovery process, so David Ross is still getting a few reps with the first unit. Don’t be surprised to see this continue to evolve over the course of the week, and Davis could be a game-time decision. Even if he does play, expect to see Ross get some snaps.

John Michael Boswell has established himself as the #2 guy at right tackle, and still looks to be the likely guy to backup Andre Smith at left tackle should the big guy have another injury scare. Tyler Love is actively working at left tackle with the second unit, though he has not been able to move ahead of Boswell for the #3 tackle. Brian Motley joins Ross as the other guard with Evan Cardwell at center. That leaves four scholarship lineman fighting for time on the 2-deep - William Vlachos, Alfred McCullough, Barrett Jones, and Taylor Pharr.

Terrence Cody and Josh Chapman have been the guys at nose guard through the first three weeks, but the job gets tougher this week with Rimington Award winner Jonathan Luigs in the middle for Arkansas. With that in mind Nick Gentry has been working with Damion Square behind the two big guys. Luigs is known for wearing down tackles over the course of the game, and with that in mind the Tide defensive staff is preparing extra guys.

While Arkansas has a new defensive staff the Tide is looking to once again exploit a potentially weak Razorback secondary. Last year John Parker Wilson was able to attack to the Hog defense to the tune of 327 yards and four touchdowns. Don’t expect Bama to abandon the four-headed rushing attack that is averaging 206.3 yards per game, but the passing attack will likely be featured more heavily than in weeks one or three.

Source: BSR

Re: Pratice Report 9-16

TerryP said:
While Arkansas has a new defensive staff the Tide is looking to once again exploit a potentially weak Razorback secondary. Last year John Parker Wilson was able to attack to the Hog defense to the tune of 327 yards and four touchdowns. Don’t expect Bama to abandon the four-headed rushing attack that is averaging 206.3 yards per game, but the passing attack will likely be featured more heavily than in weeks one or three.

If only we could exploit that secondary. :? Unless JPW changes what I've seen in the last 3 years it won't be anything downfield. I'm OK with the 10-15 yard passes with long drives if this gets us the win. Actually I'd be happy to pound the line, run all day and leave with a W. I'm not about fancy. It just bugs me that a suspect secondary is something we might not be able to take advantage of.

If only we could exploit that secondary. Confused Unless JPW changes what I've seen in the last 3 years it won't be anything downfield. I'm OK with the 10-15 yard passes with long drives if this gets us the win. Actually I'd be happy to pound the line, run all day and leave with a W. I'm not about fancy. It just bugs me that a suspect secondary is something we might not be able to take advantage of.

You mean the past three games right? Because I thought JP has done well the past two years vs. Arkansas. Yes we lost two years ago at Fayetteville, but I don't put the blame on him for it.

For those of you who seen the practice videos from 9/16 over on Tide Sports, JPW is STILL overthrowing receivers, even without pressure or the other 20 players on the field.

In the brief period of videotaping, JPW overthrew not 1, not 2, but 3 different receivers in practice!!!

WOW, I don't know if he will be allowed to throw it deep.

Here's the link for proof starting at the 2:05 mark:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1620670543/bclid431782885/bctid1799147956

aMAZEnFan said:
For those of you who seen the practice videos from 9/16 over on Tide Sports, JPW is STILL overthrowing receivers, even without pressure or the other 20 players on the field.

In the brief period of videotaping, JPW overthrew not 1, not 2, but 3 different receivers in practice!!!

WOW, I don't know if he will be allowed to throw it deep.

Here's the link for proof starting at the 2:05 mark:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1620670543/bclid431782885/bctid1799147956

After watching that, I'm not certain there's not some blame on the receivers as well on those. They didn't seem to be running wide open, but who knows.....

If only we could exploit that secondary. Unless JPW changes what I've seen in the last 3 years it won't be anything downfield. I'm OK with the 10-15 yard passes with long drives if this gets us the win.

The 10-15 yard passes are more of a product of McElwain's offense than the inability of JPW connecting on the deep ball.

bama4life said:
Doesn't matter to me if he can't hit the ocean standing on the beach as long as we win.

In the SEC he has to hit something. I just don't know how successful we will be in the SEC without any true threat of the long ball.

BamaDelta said:
bama4life said:
Doesn't matter to me if he can't hit the ocean standing on the beach as long as we win.

In the SEC he has to hit something. I just don't know how successful we will be in the SEC without any true threat of the long ball.

And Chicks Dig the long ball! :D

[Yeah, it's a baseball commercial, but it still fits and is one of the best commercials ever]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8[/youtube]

Saban, and his offense, is looking for explosive plays and he had defined those as plays over 15 yards. JP had 6 of those last week.

These 50-60 yard passing plays every seems to think are a "must have" really haven't been. If you look at the last two NC teams, both had a couple of plays that went for just over 60 yards...much of that was YAC.

aMAZEnFan said:
Yeah, TP, I would love to see us have a major YAC attack on our opponents starting with Arkansas!!!

We've come very, very close to having a few of them already and would if it wasn't for a shoe-string type tackle.

Just for something to chew on...

Do you realize we've had 8 different receivers that have had explosive plays this season in 3 games? With the exception of one yard for Upchurch (ran for 14) all of our RB's have had explosive plays by Saban's definition. (not including Goode or JP's run for 20)

Bama Bo said:
BamaDelta said:
bama4life said:

And Chicks Dig the long ball! :D

[Yeah, it's a baseball commercial, but it still fits and is one of the best commercials ever]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8[/youtube]

Quite simply the best commercial EVER.

TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Yeah, TP, I would love to see us have a major YAC attack on our opponents starting with Arkansas!!!

We've come very, very close to having a few of them already and would if it wasn't for a shoe-string type tackle.

Do you realize we've had 8 different receivers that have had explosive plays this season in 3 games? With the exception of one yard for Upchurch (ran for 14) all of our RB's have had explosive plays by Saban's definition. (not including Goode or JP's run for 20)

WOW, TP!!! That is quite encouraging!!! We definitely have the talent, but we just need better execution. I think we will see Julio, Mike, Marquis and maybe even B.J. have the breakout games like many have speculated they would since fall camp.

TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:

This is another reason I think we will kill Arkansas. For all of the self anointing Arkansas is doing that they are the new fun & gun in the SEC, they miss the fact that they have only had 10 people catch passes - including RB's and TE's. Comparatively we have had 15. It makes it easier to defend because their personnel grouping gives away their play calling. It goes back to their depth problems and the horrible recruiting over the past 4 years.

Ir Arkansas had gotten everyone in school with no transfers, Arkansas would be on par with USM in terms of talent level. As it is, they are an upper-level Sun Belt team.

bama4life said:
You mean the past three games right? Because I thought JP has done well the past two years vs. Arkansas. Yes we lost two years ago at Fayetteville, but I don't put the blame on him for it.

Yes, he has vs. Arkansas. I'm really talking about the problems with the long ball since he has been here. It clearly isn't his strength.

TerryP said:
These 50-60 yard passing plays every seems to think are a "must have" really haven't been. If you look at the last two NC teams, both had a couple of plays that went for just over 60 yards...much of that was YAC.

I'm sure you're right, but Coach Saban and Coach Mac obviously desire to succeed with the long ball or they wouldn't keep calling it. Yeah, I know they "use" it from time to time to keep the D honest and such. But still.....

You can't tell me that if you went to Coach Saban that he would deny that is an area they'd like to see improvement on and success with...no matter on JPW's or the WR's part. You put that threat together with our potential YAC and running attack and I dare say you'd have a happy coach and a thrilled fan base. :D

BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:

I'm sure you're right, but Coach Saban and Coach Mac obviously desire to succeed with the long ball or they wouldn't keep calling it. Yeah, I know they "use" it from time to time to keep the D honest and such. But still.....

You can't tell me that if you went to Coach Saban that he would deny that is an area they'd like to see improvement on and success with...no matter on JPW's or the WR's part. You put that threat together with our potential YAC and running attack and I dare say you'd have a happy coach and a thrilled fan base. :D

In a thread a couple of weeks ago I mentioned the point I thought that the fan base needed to redefine their definition of long plays. As example, using the same term in this thread, I mentioned Saban and staff want to have a dozen or so "explosive plays per game" and that's defined by plays over 15 yards.

When McElwain was hired we all talked about how his offense differed from what Applewhite ran and how he concentrated on a more ball controlled attack and didn't have the emphasis on that "huge play." Most like the idea and saw how it would benefit not only JP but the team as well.

Now that we are about to enter game 4 of our offense being under McElwain it seems the point of how he runs his offense is forgotten. Or, perhaps, even when the offense is doing well the insatiable desire Alabama fans have for their team is something that can't be satisfied no matter the success they are having.

After McElwain was hired people looked at what he did with the Fresno State offense and their QB and were thrilled with the possibility he could do the same with Alabama.

All that said...

Longest passing play for the year 2007 for the Fresno State offense? 44 yards.

Longest play, to date, for the Alabama offense for the 2008 season? 36 yards.

We are a little off from their average per play and total yard average per game. But, we are getting the production right now that was what we were wishing for a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom