| FTBL Poll: Incoming Freshmen Starters

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date

How many incoming freshmen start on BAMA's OLine next year?

• Three

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What? Capps and Tatum are going to be All-SEC. Mark it down!

• Two

• One

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

With all the talk regarding how bad our OLine played at times last year I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the incoming freshmen. Do you forsee any of them starting?

I know Andre Smith is supposed to be all-everything, but I just don't see him starting this year. He may get some PT, and I guess it is possible that he may get a starting role before the season is out, but not from the first game on. OL is probably THE toughest spot to start in as a true frosh. I know our OL was pitiful last year, but if AS starts as a true frosh in the first game, folks we could be in for a looooong season.

I voted for one, that one being Andre Smith. However, I hope he stays in football shape during the offseason because if he doesn't they won't play him. That said I do feel that he will do what needs to be done and will start for us next season.

I really expect next year to be a 7 or 8 win re-building type of season. With all the talent we lost on defense, we need to focus on getting some young DBs and LBs experience and focus on making a run in 2007, so I think giving our young offensive linemen a redshirt is probably for the best.

So Randy, who out of our out of conference schedule do you see us losing too? We win 9 games next year, easy. Our OOCS is a joke. I guess Mal was trying to give CMS an easy one before things start picking up in 07. I don't like it, but that's why they get the big bucks, I guess. :?

I agree with BarnerBo...Andre may win a starting position before the season is over and will likely see playing time all year, but it is a hard position to just jump into.

RTR
BamaSon25

BamaSon25 said:
So Randy, who out of our out of conference schedule do you see us losing too? We win 9 games next year, easy. Our OOCS is a joke. I guess Mal was trying to give CMS an easy one before things start picking up in 07. I don't like it, but that's why they get the big bucks, I guess. :?

I agree with BarnerBo...Andre may win a starting position before the season is over and will likely see playing time all year, but it is a hard position to just jump into.

RTR
BamaSon25

I don't have a problem w/ the schedule at all. This schedule was made during the meat of probation & perhaps during the whole coaching debacle. This gives the Coach & Team a chance win games comfortably thus giving all players more reps for the tougher opponents. Just look at the road schedule. If those teams we play on the road have a great season & we beat them then that would be an accomplishment for any team in the country (rebuilding/just off probation or not). So the weak home schedule, not including AU would be a welcome blessing.

I think we may have this leary lull about the schedule thing seeing how AU missed on a chance for the NC & we may have missed out if we went undefeated in '05. I'd love to see us load up against more non-conference powerhouses as much as the next guy but not w/ our depth just yet. Besides, I still believe that AU would've taken USC or OU to the wood shed if they played either in the NC. Simply b/c they dominated everyone, except us, in the SEC...any team that does that is no cupcake I don't care who else they played.

BamaSon25 said:
We win 9 games next year, easy.

While you might very well win 9 (or more) games next year, I would argue the "easy" part.

You play Florida, Tennessee, and LSU on the road, although LSU in Baton Rouge is not a big deal for y'all. At least two of those teams will be improved over last year. You play Auburn in Tuscaloosa. While you have the possibility of winning all of those games at this point, I would argue that any of the 4 would be easy. Nor are they easy wins for the opponent. Ole Miss and Arkansas will be improved and Sly might pull one more miracle win out of his butt next year.

9 wins is certainly attainable, but hardly "easy".

Semantics are so much fun to discuss.

I think if we win 9 next year it would be a great accomplishment given the fact that we're breaking in a new QB and have some questions on both sides of the ball. Even though the OOC schedule is pretty easy we have all of our toughest games on the road, with the exception of the AU game.

LSU is on the road. UT is on the road (and if you think that bunch doesn't have that game circled on the calander you're crazy), Arkansas, who I expect to be a little improved, is on the road as well. The Gators are on the road as well, and you can bet your butt that Urban wants some payback after what BAMA did to him last season.

All in all I think we can realistically count on 6 wins when we play Hawaii, Vandy, La-Monroe, Duke, MSU, and FIU. Tougher contests might be against Ole Miss and Arkansas. So that right there is a chance for 8 wins.

If we can steal one or two on the road against our big 4 then we've had one heck of a season IMHO.

Bama Bo said:
I know Andre Smith is supposed to be all-everything, but I just don't see him starting this year. He may get some PT, and I guess it is possible that he may get a starting role before the season is out, but not from the first game on. OL is probably THE toughest spot to start in as a true frosh. I know our OL was pitiful last year, but if AS starts as a true frosh in the first game, folks we could be in for a looooong season.

Dante Ellington handled starting a s a freshman quite well. Chris Capps is terrible, his bullfighter approach to blocking is a joke.

RTR

Very well put porkchop, although another huge question mark would be Tennessee, it'll be interesting to see if they can find some stability in their passing game, or if they'll have another season like last year's

And if we could pull off atleast one win against the other's (LSU, Auburn, Florida) I'd say that would be an accomplishment

BamaFan14 said:
Very well put porkchop, although another huge question mark would be Tennessee, it'll be interesting to see if they can find some stability in their passing game, or if they'll have another season like last year's

And if we could pull off atleast one win against the other's (LSU, Auburn, Florida) I'd say that would be an accomplishment

Welcome 14...glad to have you.

I fully expect our OOC schecdule to be a sweep. We have 4 pushovers, so we should count those as wins. We have Vandy without Cutler...that should constitute #5. We have MSU...and I'll just call that one unfair giving us #6. So, who's left? Ole Miss and Arky.....While I will agree that Arky will be much improved and that Ole Miss always plays us tough....They still do not win. It doesn't matter how new we are on the o-line or the QB position, we win both of these (Giving us wins #7 & #8). Our QB may be young, but he is solid. Our RBs are the best in the nation, so if JPW falters...freakin' run the ball. Neither Arky or Ole Miss have the personnel to play with us.
So...who's left? A slUT team that is reeling in losses and controversy, a LSU team that has to play us at Bryant Denny South with a new coach that got lucky last year, a Florida team that is running scared from last year ( not to mention the two times in one season thing that happened to them last time we fielded a legit team) and Auburn. We take two of the last three that I mentioned and finish 10 and 1. Auburn is my biggest concern here...they will be for real...if we lose to the others, it will be our own fault. JMO.

RTR
BamaSon25

A huge weakness that Florida has had the past few years has been their running game, and I don't see any reason why that would change, so I would agree that we would have a decent chance at beating them once again...but I believe that we play LSU away this year, and that could really end up hurting us (again) having to play LSU, and Auburn (possibly two top 10 teams) on the last two weeks of the season...

vatz22au said:
With the schedule toughness comparable to any highschool playoff run that bama has next season, it wont be too difficult to win at least 8 games.

Precisely why AU won 9 games last year. With big names like Ball State and Western Kentucky in back to back weeks.

Not to mention the national powerhouses like Arkansas State, Tulane, and Buffalo that grace your schedule this year.... Those that live in glass houses... :roll:

DirtyDave said:
vatz22au said:
With the schedule toughness comparable to any highschool playoff run that bama has next season, it wont be too difficult to win at least 8 games.

Precisely why AU won 9 games last year. With big names like Ball State and Western Kentucky in back to back weeks.

Not to mention the national powerhouses like Arkansas State, Tulane, and Buffalo that grace your schedule this year.... Those that live in glass houses... :roll:

LOL.... wow.... y'all sure had some tough ones against Middle Tenn. St, lets not forget the thriller with Southern Miss, and tickets were hard to come by for Utah St.

And this year...watch out for Hawaii, lets not count out UL Monroe..... we all remember the powerhouse Duke, and last but definitely not least in terms of big games....Florida Intl. Mine as well throw Vandy in there too.... definitely a big one.

Mal Moore would never set up an easy schedule if we were still affected by a the NCAA crap from a few years ago would he???? Next year we play FSU...who are ya'll playing outside of SEC games?

Back
Top Bottom