| FTBL OUCH!

Yep, some of those player stories started emerging last night on sports talk radio, but then, again, we know how reliable these shows tend to be.

Who can an honest sports fan believe nowadays?

Personally, I've never really cared much for Bobby Petrino, and can't give a reason why except for a gut feeling I get whenever I observe this guy on the field and in press conferences. I try to always give a person the benefit of a doubt but my crap detector clicks like a Geiger counter around uranium with the mere mention of Petrino's name.

I don't know much about him either but them arky fans is in some hog heaven right now.
I had a couple of them argue that Saban came here for the money and Petrino went to arky for the love.
Those guy don't know what they are getting into.

BS Detector

bear facts said:
Yep, some of those player stories started emerging last night on sports talk radio, but then, again, we know how reliable these shows tend to be.

Who can an honest sports fan believe nowadays?

Personally, I've never really cared much for Bobby Petrino, and can't give a reason why except for a gut feeling I get whenever I observe this guy on the field and in press conferences. I try to always give a person the benefit of a doubt but my crap detector clicks as noisily as a Geiger counter around uranium anytime with the mere mention of Petrino's name.

My BS detector goes off when his name is mentioned also. He has had 13 jobs in 24 years. If he can't make it in Ar-Kansas then he will be through. His past 10 years has him switching more than Alabama Power.

Remember this is the guy that was posed to stab his former boss in the back with jetgate. That's what we're dealing with here. In the dark of the night on a long silent runway Petrino sat in a small plush jet discussing the takeover of Auburn football with none other than Bobby "you can trust me" Lowder. :shock:

Some people have said Saban is only out for himself and his family....that statement becomes little tiny scraps compared to saying that about Petrino. At least Saban sent out comments/signs that he missed the college game.

I hope Petrino enjoys as much success as Fran did...none.

I'm sure some of you are not Tony Barnhardt fans, but his recent Blog entry regarding Pertrino document's this guy's history. He asks Hog Nation several very good questions...

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2007/12/12/on_a_plane_to_a.html

Bobby Petrino is one of those guys who looks good on paper, but as a human being he has absolutely no communication or people skills.

Have you forgotten November, 2003? That is when Petrino sat in a plane in an airport near Louisville and basically tried to put himself in position to take Tommy Tuberville’s job. Petrino had worked for the guy at Auburn just the year before.

On Monday, Petrino assured the Falcons owner that he had worked through his problems and would be back next season. On Tuesday he phoned Blank to let him know that he was quitting.

Do you think for a minute that Darren McFadden or Felix Jones will want to play for this guy? They already had one foot out the door. Now they will go running to the NFL.

I had also heard that in the last six or seven years, Petrino has signed over 40 years worth of contract extensions!

If you want to know what Petrino's former Falcon players think of him...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/12/12/petrino_1213.html

"Disloyal," said Jamal Anderson, Petrino's first pick as an NFL coach. "If he can leave players here, what makes you think he won't leave the players he's going to coach? I'm just afraid to see what happens if he does bad at Arkansas. Is he going to leave those kids?"

"Everything he preached over the past eight months was a lie," Lawyer Milloy said. "Everything he said he stood for was a lie. He came in and messed with a lot of people's lives — he wasted a year of my life. It was a cowardly act. A selfish act.

"The cancer was diagnosed. Never would you want it to be your head coach, your general, to be that cancer, but in our case, it was."

Linebacker Michael Boley said of Petrino's departure: "He took the easy way out. There are a lot of different ways you can handle that. As a man, call us. Come in here for one last team meeting. A note in the locker? That's just saying, 'I can't even look you in the face right now.' That's cowardly."

Added veteran linebacker Keith Brooking: "I've been totally committed to Coach Petrino and everything that he brought to the table. That's why I feel betrayed.

Wow. I don't remember any Dolphins players complaining about Saban a year ago. Do you?

Thanks for the link, Jeff. It's good to read some of the players' quotes. I can't even imagine being an athlete and having to play in an atmosphere like that.

And Delta, I hope your wish comes true; I don't know if he will be able to keep the Hog faithful at bay the way fRan was able to "play" the Aggie folks.

I have a feeling that it will take less than three years for the Razorback fans to be wallowing in the slop of discontentment again. Heck, even some of the self-proclaimed "Darksiders" might be wishing they had Nutt back.

I just heard the Warrick Dunn interview on ATL sports radio (WQXI). Unreal. The stuff he was saying about Patreno. And not cheap shots, I think we all know Dunn is a mild mannered, professional person. But he was talking about facts, like plays that they would run and practice. The Falcons were the #1 running team in the NFL for 3 straight years, and Patreno wanted to ditch it for a pass offense. They said he wouldn’t listen to other people, like Blank and the players, it was only his way. He had this playbook that he treated like it was the bible. He also would tell them they couldn’t wear jeans and stuff. Acted like they were college kids and talked to them as such. He said Patreno would call plays that they haven’t even practiced. When Leftwich came to the team, Parteno would call the plays they just put in and haven’t practiced and Leftwich never knew what these plays were. Leftwich would get it in the huddle and just call something totally different because he had no clue. Dunn said the players were relieved when he left and that they can finally be done with him because it was clear form the start that he didn’t know how to run a pro team, and his gameday decisions were just completely out there.

Good luck Arky. Maybe he is great with the college kids……?

If they post it on their website, I’ll link it in a post.

Stuff like this is why I like the college game better than the NFL. The NFL is full of a bunch of premadonas that think they know everything there is to know about football. Some act like they think they don't even need a coach. Seriously, if the players are not going to listen to what the coach says, why even have one?

BamaDelta said:
Remember this is the guy that was posed to stab his former boss in the back with jetgate. That's what we're dealing with here. In the dark of the night on a long silent runway Petrino sat in a small plush jet discussing the takeover of Auburn football with none other than Bobby "you can trust me" Lowder. :shock:

Some people have said Saban is only out for himself and his family....that statement becomes little tiny scraps compared to saying that about Petrino. At least Saban sent out comments/signs that he missed the college game.

I hope Petrino enjoys as much success as Fran did...none.

This league is brutal and hes losing his best playets, on top of that Arkansas isnt the best place ever to recruit.

Its not going to get easier when youve given some great recruiters in your area a new weapon to use against you.

So its going to be hard times for the first few years, and assuming he stays, he has to do alot to rebuild.

This isnt a good move, and the only way I see it panning out is if Petrino can do much more than Nutt with much less.

What?! The Petrinos were prima donnas in Montana? Both were sons of the long standing football coach and both were QB's so yes, they probably didn't think their crap stunk.

I thought the Petrinos were kind of slimy without knowing what little pretentious pricks they were when they were younger. :lol:

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
Bobby Petrino is not even worth discussing. SO glad Bama did not get stuck with that * expletive *.

Well said KC. I can't help but think of the dolphin fans because they bashed CNS, but how'd there season turn out. O yea they sucked and sucked hard!! LOL

I doubt my post will be well received, but here goes...

First I have to say I have always thought highly of the crimson tide long before Arkansas joined the SEC. Now that we play you guys every year it has certainly added to my respect.

A couple of observations:

First, it wouldn't matter if Bill Belichick was the new coach at Arkansas, Darren McFadden would be going to the NFL. To suggest he's going for sure now that Petrino is coaching is dumb.

Second, my observation is that you guys are getting carried away with the "Oh what Petrino did makes CNS look like Saint Nick." Come on guys. No doubt you have taken a beating over the last year, but one coach continually lying about leaving before leaving and the other packing up and leaving puts these two in the same neighborhood.

I don't like how Petrino did it. I do like how our AD aggressively went after him before recruiting went into dead period. I don't care if Petrino only stays a few years. Great. I think he'll leave it better than he found it.

Lastly, even with all the tradition your great program has, don't think we can't compete with you. I look forward to more great matchups in the near future beginning next year. We aren't going to be as depleted of talent as some have said.

txhawg said:

First I have to say I have always thought highly of the crimson tide long before Arkansas joined the SEC. Now that we play you guys every year it has certainly added to my respect.

First, it wouldn't matter if Bill Belichick was the new coach at Arkansas, Darren McFadden would be going to the NFL. To suggest he's going for sure now that Petrino is coaching is dumb.

Second, my observation is that you guys are getting carried away with the "Oh what Petrino did makes CNS look like Saint Nick." Come on guys. No doubt you have taken a beating over the last year, but one coach continually lying about leaving before leaving and the other packing up and leaving puts these two in the same neighborhood.

I don't like how Petrino did it. I do like how our AD aggressively went after him before recruiting went into dead period. I don't care if Petrino only stays a few years. Great. I think he'll leave it better than he found it.

Lastly, even with all the tradition your great program has, don't think we can't compete with you. I look forward to more great matchups in the near future beginning next year. We aren't going to be as depleted of talent as some have said.

Thanks for signing up txhawg. Welcome to the site.

Regarding Petrino, I don't blame him for leaving the Atlanta situation, I think he was doomed there. I think that there were a lot of aspects that of the move that he mishandled, but at the end of the day, all that's really going to matter is him building a consistently competitive team in Fayetteville. Of course, we'll all be watching him very closely and like most SEC coaches, his every decision will be second guessed.

Good luck with him, I hope he earns a new reputation as a coach that can dedicate himself to a program and keep its fanbase satisfied.

txhawg said:

McFadden has absolutely no reason to stay in college. I think most people understand that. If by some chance McFadden had planned on returning though, this hire would likely have changed his mind. But again...most people know the deal there.

What you have to understand is that I think most people here are just happy to see someone else on the whipping post for a change. That's where most of our joy comes from. Not that Saban's situation was markedly better of handled better than Petrino's but just that someone else is finally getting a taste of the action.

BUT.....FWIW, I don't recall any of Saban's players at Miami bad-mouthing him after he left. Petrino's former players are crucifying him in the media. When guys like Warrick Dunn come down on you, you must be a loser.
Secondly, Wayne Hyzinga (sp?) and Saban had a close relationship and Wayne state over and over that he understood why Saban felt like he had to go. That's a far cry from the statements Arthur Blank has made regarding Petrino.
And lastly.....hey...atleast Saban didn't walk out on his players before the season ended. I know that Arkansas probably pressured Petrino due to recruiting concerns but that is still bush league. It just underscores Petrino's short-comings in my mind.

I don't like how he did it either, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Saban is a saint. Both lied. The one thing I would say though is that coaching has to be an incredibly tough situation nowadays with the media the way it is. You simply cannot have a life because these vultures want to get up into your personal space at every opportunity. It's got to be tough.

I don't want this to come off as disrespect because that is not my intention. But I will say that Arkansas has probably fared as well as they have against us recently due to Houston Nutt. I know, I know!! I can't beleive I am actually saying that myself, but Nutt utilized athleticism and a power running attack to keep a lot of games closer than they would have been under a different coach/system. Arkansas's wiht their style and athletes have always matched up with BAMA well. Petrino is a solid X's and O's guy and Arkansas will likely be better, but how long will it take to get the type of player he needs? How long will Petrino stay? I'm not sure at this point how Arkansas will fare the next couple of years while trying to get Petrino's players and installing a system.

If I thought Petrino would still be in Fayetteville 3 years from now I guess I'd be a lot more concerned.

reger60 said:
txhawg said:

Thanks for signing up txhawg. Welcome to the site.

Regarding Petrino, I don't blame him for leaving the Atlanta situation, I think he was doomed there. I think that there were a lot of aspects that of the move that he mishandled, but at the end of the day, all that's really going to matter is him building a consistently competitive team in Fayetteville. Of course, we'll all be watching him very closely and like most SEC coaches, his every decision will be second guessed.

Good luck with him, I hope he earns a new reputation as a coach that can dedicate himself to a program and keep its fanbase satisfied.

Thanks for the welcome. I would like to stop by from time to time for some friendly debate.

I will say I am excited to watch how the SECw will unfold over the next few years and I am a little nervous about Saban's recruiting class last year. It looks like it could be great(for you guys).

Back
Top Bottom