| RECRUIT OT Tyler Steen ~ 6'5", 315lbs (Vanderbilt.) commits to Alabama

TerryP

Staff
Two and a half weeks ago we touched on Sal Sunseri moving to an off the field position for Alabama pointing out the Tide wouldn't be losing him on the recruiting trail. He's just taking a different role with his focus on the portal. Here's one of "his guys."

Tyler is scheduled to graduate in May. I bring that up in case you're wondering how this will work with the SEC's new rule about transfers having to enter the portal by Feb. 1st in order to play the next season at a SEC school. (It's my understand this new rule doesn't apply to grad transfers.)

Steen isn't as polished as you might like but improved quite a bit last year while starting all 12 games for the 'Dores at left tackle. He'll need development. He's been at Vandy three years and with the "Covid extra season allowances" will have two years of eligibility.

He's scheduled to visit Tuscaloosa next month (as well as LSU, NC. State, and Penn State.)

If he chooses Alabama he'll have more starting experience than any of the linemen the Tide has returning. Steen has started 33 games for Vanderbilt. (Ekiyor is the most experienced returning starter Alabama has on the line with 28 starts.) As comparison the most experience tackle the Tide has for the fall is Kendall Randolph (sixth season) who has started in 13 games while at Alabama.

Two and a half weeks ago we touched on Sal Sunseri moving to an off the field position for Alabama pointing out the Tide wouldn't be losing him on the recruiting trail. He's just taking a different role with his focus on the portal. Here's one of "his guys."

Tyler is scheduled to graduate in May. I bring that up in case you're wondering how this will work with the SEC's new rule about transfers having to enter the portal by Feb. 1st in order to play the next season at a SEC school. (It's my understand this new rule doesn't apply to grad transfers.)

Steen isn't as polished as you might like but improved quite a bit last year while starting all 12 games for the 'Dores at left tackle. He'll need development. He's been at Vandy three years and with the "Covid extra season allowances" will have two years of eligibility.

He's scheduled to visit Tuscaloosa next month (as well as LSU, NC. State, and Penn State.)

If he chooses Alabama he'll have more starting experience than any of the linemen the Tide has returning. Steen has started 33 games for Vanderbilt. (Ekiyor is the most experienced returning starter Alabama has on the line with 28 starts.) As comparison the most experience tackle the Tide has for the fall is Kendall Randolph (sixth season) who has started in 13 games while at Alabama.
Very interesting that we had what was viewed as a great OL recruiting class in 2020 I believe, but we are looking at the portal for help. This one is puzzling.

Very interesting that we had what was viewed as a great OL recruiting class in 2020 I believe, but we are looking at the portal for help. This one is puzzling.
The members of the 2020 offensive line class are contributing: George, Cohen, and McLaughlin. Cohen likely has one of the starting guard positions in the fall. Seth looks to back up Dalcourt and George could handle the RT position if Randolph doesn't secure the spot.

The key here is experienced starter in the SEC.

If we were to look strictly at recruiting rankings George and McLaughlin are progressing as expected: a 3 star normally takes three years before seeing significant action. (Cohen, 4 star, saw action earlier than those two.)

If Randolf is a starter on the 2022 team, then we're in a world of trouble. I thank him for his 10 years at Bama.

Wonder if we will have the "Steen's dad" team insights like on Wooley Al back in 2011-2012? Caused as many meltdowns as Boz.
I missed those but saw plenty here. :rolleyes:

FWIW, no relation to Anthony as far as I can tell.

Some feel pretty positive about him choosing the Tide. His father played at LSU which may come into play. Based on his high school offer list (247) none of the schools he was interested in are among the four he's visiting.

All for added depth, but areFerguson, Latham, and Brockermeyer not stepping up?
Why is that the first assumption? It doesn't make a l lot of sense to me considering how long it takes to develop offensive linemen.

Neither of the Brockermeyer's are physically ready for SEC play: both is size and strength. Tommy needed to add 30 or more pounds when he arrived.

Latham should be at one of the tackle positions this spring.

If they don't sign Steen I can see trying Cohen at tackle with Ferguson competing for a guard position.

Why is that the first assumption? It doesn't make a l lot of sense to me considering how long it takes to develop offensive linemen.

Neither of the Brockermeyer's are physically ready for SEC play: both is size and strength. Tommy needed to add 30 or more pounds when he arrived.

Latham should be at one of the tackle positions this spring.

If they don't sign Steen I can see trying Cohen at tackle with Ferguson competing for a guard position.

Because you gave your idea of the starting line in a message above and none of these names mentioned. You mentioned a three star recruit's timeline, so what is a five-star's? Tommy and JC were 1-2 in the country. I believe Ferguson was #1 Guard. They will now have had two offseasons of training under their belts as I believe both were Early Enrollees. That's why it was my first thought. Best offensive line haul ever, by anyone.

Because you gave your idea of the starting line in a message above and none of these names mentioned. You mentioned a three star recruit's timeline, so what is a five-star's? Tommy and JC were 1-2 in the country. I believe Ferguson was #1 Guard. They will now have had two offseasons of training under their belts as I believe both were Early Enrollees. That's why it was my first thought. Best offensive line haul ever, by anyone.
First of all, when it comes to rankings and offensive linemen, they're in a league of their own. What you can expect from a 5 star WR (in terms of how soon they can contribute) can't be said for the OL.

5 stars are defined as those with NFL potential (literally, by every service) not whether they can play as a tackle quickly as some would expect. Guys who contribute at that level aren't found that often. I point to the third year with 3 star guys because it normally takes that long to get in SEC shape. McLauglin came in needing to add weight, George needing to lose weight. Both are 3 star guys who started seeing action last season and will compete for starting positions in their third year in Tuscaloosa.

Latham arrived in Tuscaloosa with 25+lbs on Tommy; Ferguson not quite that much but close. Booker, physically, is more SEC ready (at the same stage of their careers) than either of the brothers.

BTW, if you'll recall, I've said for years the rankings of players out of Texas has been higher than deserved a lot of the time. Add Texas, the family name, and it's not hard to see why they'd get more attention.

Not stepping up is far different than pace of development. The former implies lack of effort.

Not stepping up is far different than pace of development. The former implies lack of effort.
The dynamic here is that when words like "best ever" are thrown around it creates expectations. Throw on top of that the struggle with last years OL and you get the thinking that surely these guys are better than what we were putting out on the field. Now reality is something else because we are not at practice. Throw on top of that also the OL Coach and his ability to teach and grow them then you see why it is so hard to predict. Pretty sure if Saban thought the OL Coach had done a great job he would still be around.

First of all, when it comes to rankings and offensive linemen, they're in a league of their own. What you can expect from a 5 star WR (in terms of how soon they can contribute) can't be said for the OL.

5 stars are defined as those with NFL potential (literally, by every service) not whether they can play as a tackle quickly as some would expect. Guys who contribute at that level aren't found that often. I point to the third year with 3 star guys because it normally takes that long to get in SEC shape. McLauglin came in needing to add weight, George needing to lose weight. Both are 3 star guys who started seeing action last season and will compete for starting positions in their third year in Tuscaloosa.

Latham arrived in Tuscaloosa with 25+lbs on Tommy; Ferguson not quite that much but close. Booker, physically, is more SEC ready (at the same stage of their careers) than either of the brothers.

BTW, if you'll recall, I've said for years the rankings of players out of Texas has been higher than deserved a lot of the time. Add Texas, the family name, and it's not hard to see why they'd get more attention.

I understand that, and five stars are what they forecast as first rounders in the NFL Draft. I obviously know there are differences in positions and their expectations. Hence why I didn't compare them to the backup receivers Saban called out.

Once again, they have all three had two full offseasons in the program to get their bodies ready. Ferguson may have been a Summer wnrollee, I can't recall. I haven't heard once that their bodies was the reason. No one was stepping in for Neal, we know that. I felt Mclaughlin was a stud for us and did amazing. Right tackle was the issue. George is massive and a guy I thought could handle it, but he was just a step slow. Which is fine, development on footwork can solve that. But for a guy like Latham that everyone said would compete Day 1, you just have to question it. I heard he was raw, but his athleticism would offset a lot of that. In the end, I'm not picking on these guys, I just know they have massive expectations on them due to their rankings, that they were all proud of and fighting for at camps. I just want them to see success so they can handle it emotionally and be successful in their lives with or without football. I don't think I'm the only one that would expect atleast one of these three guys to start this Fall when we signed them two classes ago.

I understand that, and five stars are what they forecast as first rounders in the NFL Draft. I obviously know there are differences in positions and their expectations. Hence why I didn't compare them to the backup receivers Saban called out.

Once again, they have all three had two full offseasons in the program to get their bodies ready. Ferguson may have been a Summer wnrollee, I can't recall. I haven't heard once that their bodies was the reason. No one was stepping in for Neal, we know that. I felt Mclaughlin was a stud for us and did amazing. Right tackle was the issue. George is massive and a guy I thought could handle it, but he was just a step slow. Which is fine, development on footwork can solve that. But for a guy like Latham that everyone said would compete Day 1, you just have to question it. I heard he was raw, but his athleticism would offset a lot of that. In the end, I'm not picking on these guys, I just know they have massive expectations on them due to their rankings, that they were all proud of and fighting for at camps. I just want them to see success so they can handle it emotionally and be successful in their lives with or without football. I don't think I'm the only one that would expect atleast one of these three guys to start this Fall when we signed them two classes ago.
  • George: as pointed out needed to get into shape; not size wise, conditioning wise. In another thread I mentioned one of the main problems I saw with the RT position was the footwork: planting, pop, moving with the defensive guy and then not being able to re-establish leverage. It can be improved, sure. A lot of that is natural talent. He's an inside guy in my opinion where he'll be fighting against Ekiyor (he's not going to beat him out) and Cohen (if he remains inside.)
  • Latham has been competing since day one but I don't recall anyone saying he's looking at being a major contributor from day one. Anyone who suggested such isn't living in a realistic world, in my view. Maybe he could have on the west coast, but not in the SEC.
  • Starting this season: as mentioned Latham is in queue to be that guy. He may be at one of the tackle spots or guard if they slide Cohen outside.
When I look at the line going into the spring I see they're a tackle short if guys remain where they were last season.

@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw Tim Smith can be that inside guy on the line. In my view it's more between his ears right now; learning to play within the system as well as learning to play within himself.

TE: I'm sure we'll see Niblack quickly. He'll need to learn to be more of a blocker (versus what we saw with Howard when everyone knew he was on a passing route.)

@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw Tim Smith can be that inside guy on the line. In my view it's more between his ears right now; learning to play within the system as well as learning to play within himself.

TE: I'm sure we'll see Niblack quickly. He'll need to learn to be more of a blocker (versus what we saw with Howard when everyone knew he was on a passing route.)
We just had two years of the most useless blocker on the team in Billingsley. That guy couldn't break an egg with his shoulder pads.

We just had two years of the most useless blocker on the team in Billingsley. That guy couldn't break an egg with his shoulder pads.
Speculation, purely.

One of the worst things that could have happened with him actually happened when he saw what Kyle Pitts brought to the field.

No speculation here. Unless he gets his act together he'll just add another flame to a locker room that's already starting to develop division. There are several of their older players who aren't happy about the young guys coming in with NIL monies without proving a thing on the field.

He, on the other hand, doesn't want to "prove" anything on the practice field but wants to be held in the same esteem as those veterans.

SUprised you said Seth is considered backup? Has he enough enough to get "serious" look at positions this spring?
It's going to be between him and Dalcourt.

Last season Dalcourt started the first 11 games. Seth came on after he was injured (starting the last three.) Dalcourt has the experience edge on McLaughlin not only in starts but also has a year more in the program.

If it's Seth that gets the nod this fall we'll have to start considering Dalcourt hitting the portal (Brockermeyer in the wings waiting.)

Regardless of whether it's Seth or Darrian my gut tells me the interior of the line is going to be the strongest portion if they can keep Cohen at guard.

We'll get a thread going here soon discussing the offensive line going into the spring. I've got a draft of one now that's on the running back room.

I'm thinking we see the team leave the spring with, assuming Steen commits:

Tackles: Latham and Steen.
Guards: Ekiyor and Cohen
Center: Dalcourt or McLaughlin.

Back
Top Bottom