| FTBL O'brien and Marone

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
So I am the first to acknowledge that our talent level and experience level is way down this year from years past and maybe that is what it is right now.

It's not just the 3 pass calls in a row near the goal lone it is the overall calling of plays that I don't like. The overall offense game calling is what doesn't feel right to me.. it just feels disjointed. Some of the calls I really didn't like this past week werent entirely his fault because there were times even if I didn't like the call that we had a chance and the receiver dropped the ball. I didn't like the sideline deep ball to Metchie on 2 and 6 because it stalled out the drive. It went right thru Metchie's hands and he absolutely should have had it but I still don't like that call when we are running the ball for 6 yards a carry and they are blitzing every down. Bryce is still struggling to throw the deeper ball with any consistency.. and that was part of the Aggie's game plan. I didn't like the three times we had to settle for field goals inside the 10 and of course the interception in the endzone. The flow of the offense has just seemed off with O'brien.

Marone, I just wonder what is going on with the players here. Anyone can see that Owens can't play right tackle. They attacked him all night and beat him all night.. so has every other team so far. Do we really not have anyone else on the team who can do better than this? If so, either we have missed horribly on the last 4 "5 star" tackles that we have recruited or he has done a poor job of getting them ready to play. We seem unprepared and unmotivated every week.

I think losing coaches every year is harder on us than losing players and this year going to old pro coaches seems to have been a mistake. Now I know these guys didn't go to sleep on Friday night and all their football knowledge leaked out onto their pillow.. they have been coaching along time.. I just don't know if the fit is right for them in college... or at least at Alabama.

I know everyone is mad at Golding and I get it but I am even more displeased with the offensive side of the ball

I echo your sentiment 100%. Cohen and Owens are both liabilities in the offensive line. This has been obvious since the beginning of the season. I would love to see George, Brown and Kight get some reps at those positions. I love hearing Saban talk about players getting PT, but it would be even better to actually see it. Hall, Earle, Brooks and Baker should be in the rotation consistently. Williams hasn't learned team ball and gives very little effort if the ball isn't coming his way. Robinson had broke a run and the guy was literally looking at the play while walking up the field.

As for the defense, its time to move on from DJ Dale and Ray. I understand loyalty, but DJ has been getting dominated all year and Ray is a stalemate at best. And do we teach our DB's to actually look for the ball or just how to commit pass interference? Seems like every time we try to play zone the safeties bust the coverage which shows very poor understanding of the scheme and communication. Finally, we need to rotate our players more. Moody and Kennedy should get some playing time. Kool-Aid is a special player and should see the field.

Finally, BoB has to know when to run the ball. We used the Jumbo Package against Ole Miss and bullied them all over the field. We didn't use it once in the Texas A&M game. How awesome would it have been to put in Randolph at TE, sub out Cohen and Owens for George and Brown and put in Ouzst at FB just dominate their A$$! No way they stop that lineup! No way we don't score from the 3 yard line.

Texas A&M exposed a lot issues with multiple areas of play and coaching. Definitely a bad performance on national television and in front of multiple recruits. Hopefully, Saban and company are willing to make the changes needed to improve as a team.

So I am the first to acknowledge that our talent level and experience level is way down this year from years past and maybe that is what it is right now.

It's not just the 3 pass calls in a row near the goal lone it is the overall calling of plays that I don't like. The overall offense game calling is what doesn't feel right to me.. it just feels disjointed. Some of the calls I really didn't like this past week werent entirely his fault because there were times even if I didn't like the call that we had a chance and the receiver dropped the ball. I didn't like the sideline deep ball to Metchie on 2 and 6 because it stalled out the drive. It went right thru Metchie's hands and he absolutely should have had it but I still don't like that call when we are running the ball for 6 yards a carry and they are blitzing every down. Bryce is still struggling to throw the deeper ball with any consistency.. and that was part of the Aggie's game plan. I didn't like the three times we had to settle for field goals inside the 10 and of course the interception in the endzone. The flow of the offense has just seemed off with O'brien.

Marone, I just wonder what is going on with the players here. Anyone can see that Owens can't play right tackle. They attacked him all night and beat him all night.. so has every other team so far. Do we really not have anyone else on the team who can do better than this? If so, either we have missed horribly on the last 4 "5 star" tackles that we have recruited or he has done a poor job of getting them ready to play. We seem unprepared and unmotivated every week.

I think losing coaches every year is harder on us than losing players and this year going to old pro coaches seems to have been a mistake. Now I know these guys didn't go to sleep on Friday night and all their football knowledge leaked out onto their pillow.. they have been coaching along time.. I just don't know if the fit is right for them in college... or at least at Alabama.

I know everyone is mad at Golding and I get it but I am even more displeased with the offensive side of the ball

Golding is like a roller coaster. Up one week...down the next. As for Obrien. He has an extensive pro background and it shows in his play calling especially in the red zone. Pros get to the five yard line and you are probably going to see 3 passes in row and if not a TD............FG . It's a pro football mentality.

Lack of fundamental execution (penalties, bumping into each other, whiff pass blocking, overthrown/underthrown balls, etc), Jekyll & Hyde playing when playing away Vs at home, & lack of FULL game intensity is a PURE reflection of youth & lack of player leadership. I think there is a HUMOUNGOUS VOID there. I don't think we've seen it this bad before. I reckon the players that left (see first 6 'Bama players drafted in 2021) created a chasm we've never seen under CNS. PLUS we add in new OC & OL coach that needs to connect with these younger/immature players... this is the product we get.

The lack of an aggressive, impose our will & make your ass quit attitude is completely absent from this team. This falls on the players the most but also the OC & DC have a clear disconnect from the players to foster this attitude... CNS is all over it but he can only do so much. I believe he can right the ship but do not expect a playoff level team this year because there are 14 seniors on this team & 6-7 of them play or start. If they don't have that attitude by now, they're not going to at this point.

Last edited:
Texas A&M exposed a lot issues with multiple areas
These issues showed up well before this game...
Golding is like a roller coaster.
Might it be more complicated than this? Players energy and experience being one. The other and I think most likely are the matchups. You matchup differently from team to team. A&M defense especially in the trenches was much better the OM. Not an excuse but some possible reasons why.
As for Obrien. He has an extensive pro background
Speaking from someone that used to do technical work in the trenches to managing things if you were to ask me to go back and do technical work in the trenches it would take time. It has been awhile since Obrien was an OC.

With that said I am always about running the ball if 1st and goal inside the 5 but the coaches are seeing in practice what the players can do best and they understand the matchups also. Saban has mentioned run blocking consistency as an issue so that is the mindset right or wrong. These decisions may have been predetermined. However the really good OC's change those predetermined strategies based on the flow of the game. This is where Obrien may have missed the boat either that or Young had the RPO and decided to throw. You fix that by calling a run only play.

Lack of fundamental execution (penalties, bumping into each other, whiff pass blocking, overthrown/underthrown balls, etc), Jekyll & Hyde playing when playing away Vs at home, & lack of FULL game intensity is a PURE reflection of youth & lack of player leadership. I think there is a HUMOUNGOUS VOID there. I don't think we've seen it this bad before. I reckon the players that left (see first 6 'Bama players drafted in 2021) created a chasm we've never seen under CNS. PLUS we add in new OC & OL coach that needs to connect with these younger/immature players... this is the product we get.

The lack of an aggressive, impose our will & make your ass quit attitude is completely absent from this team. This falls on the players the most but also the OC & DC have a clear disconnect from the players to foster this attitude... CNS is all over it but he can only do so much. I believe he can right the ship but do not expect a playoff level team this year because there are 14 seniors on this team & 6-7 of them play or start. If they don't have that attitude by now, they're not going to at this point.

This is from My post on September 15th that I got roasted for..lol this was before the Florida game.

"So after watching each game several times and looking at Saban's reactions.. I think we are going to struggle to go 10-2. Our issues are in very key places this year and I believe much of it is due to players heading to the NFL but some it is players not playing to potential.

Qb - he is just not anywhere near what we have had. Seems like a great kid and I believe he is working hard but he isn't a vocal leader, his arm strength is weak and he is 5'9. If he had last years o-line we could hide him some but we don't

RB's - no dominant rb's. I love Sanders and his story, love Brian Robinsons leadership but he truly isn't dynamic. The other two have potential but aren't manning up yet and some of that falls on the o-line

OL - is not a strength. If Chris Owens is our best RT were are in serious trouble. Besides for Left tackle and LG we are struggling with assignments and just pushing people of the ball. We recruited 5 stars at OL for the last several years and all of them are holding a helmet on the sideline. Are we missing in recruiting or are we not developing them?

The defense has talent if we can stay healthy but I wonder who the true leaders of this team are? I dont see the same interaction on the sidelines.. it's like someone gave out Zoloft milkshakes to everyone.. no fire or interaction with teammates.

Saban's comments seem to be warning everyone to temper expectations and that this team still isn't buying into the process."

Just seems like some of the same problems we have had.. their is a leadership void

This is from My post on September 15th that I got roasted for..lol this was before the Florida game.

"So after watching each game several times and looking at Saban's reactions.. I think we are going to struggle to go 10-2. Our issues are in very key places this year and I believe much of it is due to players heading to the NFL but some it is players not playing to potential.

Qb - he is just not anywhere near what we have had. Seems like a great kid and I believe he is working hard but he isn't a vocal leader, his arm strength is weak and he is 5'9. If he had last years o-line we could hide him some but we don't

RB's - no dominant rb's. I love Sanders and his story, love Brian Robinsons leadership but he truly isn't dynamic. The other two have potential but aren't manning up yet and some of that falls on the o-line

OL - is not a strength. If Chris Owens is our best RT were are in serious trouble. Besides for Left tackle and LG we are struggling with assignments and just pushing people of the ball. We recruited 5 stars at OL for the last several years and all of them are holding a helmet on the sideline. Are we missing in recruiting or are we not developing them?

The defense has talent if we can stay healthy but I wonder who the true leaders of this team are? I dont see the same interaction on the sidelines.. it's like someone gave out Zoloft milkshakes to everyone.. no fire or interaction with teammates.

Saban's comments seem to be warning everyone to temper expectations and that this team still isn't buying into the process."

Just seems like some of the same problems we have had.. their is a leadership void

You were two for four.

Look we can put the blame on all the coaches! But it does come does to just one and he the Head coach!
Its a tough call but some don't want to put any blame whatsoever on the HC. I guess its just one of those things that are instilled in those that have served in the Military. Regardless of what goes wrong, the Commander/CSM/1SG is overall responsible for all things that are good and bad.

Multiple problems among both coordinators and in several areas of the team.

Why were there so many dropped passes last Saturday? I’ve been watching Bama games for about 45 years and I have NEVER seen that many drops in a single game before.

Multiple problems among both coordinators and in several areas of the team.

Why were there so many dropped passes last Saturday? I’ve been watching Bama games for about 45 years and I have NEVER seen that many drops in a single game before.
Focus....thats all....
But whats funny...not ha-ha funny....is it seems to be a pandemic....when it starts by one its continues to all...

I almost went back and bumped this for you. At the time I thought you made some valid points and some has come a little more to fruition.

At the same time, the season is less than halfway over (hopefully). We saw improvement in the Ole Miss game and some regression on Saturday.... If we can see the improvement consistently, this could be a dangerous bunch by the SECCG

Back
Top Bottom