| FTBL No Pay-Per-View in Atlanta?

ijijmijij

Verified Member
My friend called Dish Network and I called Comcast, both have the Alabama Houston game blacked out...

Why is this happening? I can't get the game on any other channel so what is the deal? This sucks!

I have never understood the blackouts. I have heard that blackouts are used in the area where people can go to the game to promote ticket sales. But, this makes no sense. If the game is sold out it seems that cable companies are loosing money due to the thousands that can not get a ticket who can not purchase the game either. Does anyone have a logical explanation on why they black out games?

ijijmijij said:
My friend called Dish Network and I called Comcast, both have the Alabama Houston game blacked out...

Why is this happening? I can't get the game on any other channel so what is the deal? This sucks!

It is not available for PPV in GA but is available on Gameplan. Comcast employees are......nevermind.

272790333.jpg

bamafan4ever said:
ijijmijij said:

It is not available for PPV in GA but is available on Gameplan. Comcast employees are......nevermind.

272790333.jpg

I just do not understand why they would black out Alabama. They would make a very large amount $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if it was available there. It makes no sence. Why would they loose so much money to black out a large majority of Bama fans.

Here's a very concise article that explains the ins and outs of sports blackouts.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/106397/the_ins_and_outs_of_sports_blackouts.html

As a result of contractual agreements between professional sports leagues and broadcasters, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) may sometimes require to blackout some games of sports teams. The Sports Blackout Rule protects the holder of the exclusive distribution rights to a local sporting event (i.e. a sports team). The sports blackout rule is only applied if a local TV broadcast station is not carrying the local sporting event.

In broadcasting, a blackout is when certain programming, usually sports, cannot be televised in a certain media market. The purpose is theoretically to generate more money by obligating certain actions from fans, either by making them buy tickets or watch other games on TV.

I can not make any sense in this. Alabama games will always be sold out. Why in the world would they black out games to force people to buy tickets for a sold out game? Everyone is loosing millions of dollars from fans that WOULD purchase the game on PPV because the game IS SOLD OUT. You can not get. making people buy tickets, from games that are SOLD OUT! Gees!!

And if you have Comcast (such as myself) you can't do the ESPN360 online because my service provider does not carry it. :twisted: :( :evil:

So the last 2-3 years I could watch games online, but not now!

RollTideinGA said:
And if you have Comcast (such as myself) you can't do the ESPN360 online because my service provider does not carry it. :twisted: :( :evil:

True, they need competition to make them change there tune or just be w/o customers of the Tide faithful.

bamafan850 said:
RollTideinGA said:

True, they need competition to make them change there tune or just be w/o customers of the Tide faithful.

The only reason I can see is that if they let Gameplan show it in Alabama then it cuts into the Crimson Tide Network PPV sales.

Wiseace615 said:
bamafan850 said:
RollTideinGA said:

The only reason I can see is that if they let Gameplan show it in Alabama then it cuts into the Crimson Tide Network PPV sales.

If there is a chance to get it by another company instead of missing it all together, that make sense. I just remember not being able to get a couple games last year because of a black out and that just seemed like they were not getting 30+ dollars from everyone that was willing to pay.

reger60 said:
Wiseace615 said:

Exactly!

The Sports Blackout Rule protects the holder of the exclusive distribution rights to a local sporting event (i.e. a sports team).

But see the Crimson Tide network in not available in many areas (like here in Chattanooga) and if the game is blacked out, no one has a chance to watch the game (sold out and not televised due to blackouts.) All that I am saying there is thousands of people in my area willing to pay for the game but is not able to. It just seems like loosing too much money. I can completely understand if it is availabe on another broadcaster to buy, but I can't understand loosing all that money where there is no chance to watch the game by any provider.

This is very easy to get around. Look in the phone book and get an address of a place somewhere in the state of Alabama. Call your satellite provider and tell them you moved to this address, they will transfer your stuff in the computer without question, watch the game. Come Monday morning call them back and tell them you moved back to your original address and all is well. I have been using this trick for years without question!

bamafan850 said:
reger60 said:
Wiseace615 said:

Exactly!

The Sports Blackout Rule protects the holder of the exclusive distribution rights to a local sporting event (i.e. a sports team).

But see the Crimson Tide network in not available in many areas (like here in Chattanooga) and if the game is blacked out, no one has a chance to watch the game (sold out and not televised due to blackouts.) All that I am saying there is thousands of people in my area willing to pay for the game but is not able to. It just seems like loosing too much money. I can completely understand if it is availabe on another broadcaster to buy, but I can't understand loosing all that money where there is no chance to watch the game by any provider.

I'm in Tennessee and the game is on ESPN Gameplan through Direct TV. It ought to be available everywhere in Tennessee. :?:

reger60 said:
bamafan850 said:
reger60 said:
Wiseace615 said:

Exactly!

I'm in Tennessee and the game is on ESPN Gameplan through Direct TV. It ought to be available everywhere in Tennessee. :?:

It is for this game, I was speaking of past games where it was blacked out. :)

bamafan850 said:
reger60 said:
bamafan850 said:
reger60 said:
Wiseace615 said:

Exactly!

It is for this game, I was speaking of past games where it was blacked out. :)

I've never seen a game blacked out on Gameplan in Tennessee unless a team from Tennessee was playing in the game.

LA Monroe and Duke were here in Chattown. I had to settle for I-net radio. Sorry you think I am a liar but I will list the games 4 ya. Maybe it's because I am within 40 minutes of Bama, but I have no idea why you got it and I could not.

bamafan850 said:
LA Monroe and Duke were here in Chattown. I had to settle for I-net radio. Sorry you think I am a liar but I will list the games 4 ya. Maybe it's because I am within 40 minutes of Bama, but I have no idea why you got it and I could not.

Hey man, nobody thinks you're a liar. I'm just curious how you're getting screwed out of games. It sucks. I feel for you. :?

Wiseace615 said:
bamafan850 said:
RollTideinGA said:

But I'm in ATLANTA, GA, not ALABAMA! :?

Ok. I guess it's just me but I am confused over all of the confusion.

The game is blacked out in Alabama and Texas because, in those states, you have to pay the 30+ dollars to order the individual pay-per-view event. Outside of those two states, there is no blackout if you have ESPN Gameplan for the season package or the one day Gameplan package. With Gameplan, you get all the other games shown on Gameplan as well. In Alabama and Texas, you just get the BAMA/UH game. If you order Gameplan in those two states, you get every game except the BAMA/UH game.

Does that make any more sense?

Back
Top Bottom