| FTBL No buyout in Coach Saban's contract

When I read the article and saw there was no buyout, I got a sick feeling in my stomach. How can we make him the highest paid coach in college football and not include a buyout???!!!

corby said:
When I read the article and saw there was no buyout, I got a sick feeling in my stomach. How can we make him the highest paid coach in college football and not include a buyout???!!!

I think we all thought the same thing when we found out there would be no buy clause shortly after he was hired. Saban didn't have a buyout clause at LSU or Michigan St. The contract is backloaded with incentives so that is a positive. I don't really think a buyout clause would matter if Saban decided he didn't want to be here anymore unless it was a enormous amount and not many coaches would agree to that. Let's just stay the course by being positive and hoping Saban is happy staying here until he retires.

After reading all the stipulations of his contract, his coming to Bama now makes a lot more sense to me. I posted about his 60 minutes interview last year where Saban talked about how bothered he was by the fact that all the commitments of being an NFL coach gave him too little time to spend at his lake house with his family. From reading what is required of him in his Bama contract, I now see why he is here. His new job requires him to do one thing, COACH FOOTBALL! No celebrity golf tournaments, no speeches at QB clubs, no alumni dinner commitment, all he has to do is coach our team and spend time with his family. All the other silly commitments coaches are forced to make are not in his contract and that’s how we got him here. This does make his deal a huge commitment for the BOT, however. This isn’t like Shula’s deal where Golden Flake, Coke, and Tiffen Motor Homes are picking up 75% of the tab. The BOT is paying the whole thing ($32 million). That should put everyone’s mind at ease over the “no buy-out” at least a little. Do you think there is any other school that could/would pay a coach that kind of money without getting some kind of corporate sponsorship in return? It’s hard to imagine that many would.

The contract is more carrot than stick, and it's what was expected all along. The fact that his required public engagements are limited is a good thing. The last thing we'd want is for him to be pulled in too many directions, or place him in a position to be pestered to death.

RTR,

Tim

If the job at LSU opened up, I wouldn't be worried at all. The LSU crowd has all but declared Saban a worse traitor than Benedict Arnold and want to see him hanged in effigy from Tiger Stadium.

Question

Also, Porter you may want to check into this, but I don't believe there will be a weekly televised coach's show either? And of course, no ads for Golden Flake, Tiffin, etc. If true, This is not a good idea. :roll:

Re: Question

Billie Bob said:
Also, Porter you may want to check into this, but I don't believe there will be a weekly televised coach's show either? And of course, no ads for Golden Flake, Tiffin, etc. If true, This is not a good idea. :roll:
Personally, I could care less if he does a TV show, potato chip ads or whatever. I only want the Tide winning again and he's been hired to do just that.

Bamapossum said:
If the job at LSU opened up, I wouldn't be worried at all. The LSU crowd has all but declared Saban a worse traitor than Benedict Arnold and want to see him hanged in effigy from Tiger Stadium.

They would take him back with open arms. Do not be fooled by what the jealous fans say now.

Buy out clauses are overrated.
What I've learned is if a school or team wants a coach and the coach is interested. Doesn't matter what it takes they'll make it happen. At this level the money doesn't mean much. As far as the end results of him leaving.
It is what it is in the end.

There are only a handful of schools that can afford Saban, buyout or not... and they are either already in a good situation, or not a good fit for Saban. The lack of a buyout should not cause anyone to worry. I'm sure Josh Moon will explain to us that this spells doom for the Tide... but keep things in perspective folks. Worry about other things, like the damn idiots who are going to be calling and speaking to him on Hey Coach.

Porterhouse said:
There are only a handful of schools that can afford Saban, buyout or not... and they are either already in a good situation, or not a good fit for Saban. The lack of a buyout should not cause anyone to worry. I'm sure Josh Moon will explain to us that this spells doom for the Tide... but keep things in perspective folks. Worry about other things, like the damn idiots who are going to be calling and speaking to him on Hey Coach.

I agree.

Dang, do we not have any money left to buy a good screener? :shock: How is it that the most idiotic fans get in and further perpetuate our negative image? :x

I swear I love Chris Stewart, but it got to the point last year that I couldn't listen to all of post game because of the morons who called in.

Of course it doesn't matter to me but I bet if there had been a poll here ahead of time on the buyout question, most of you would have favored having it. Joe Espy, Pres. of your BOTs is quoted in today's B'ham News as saying he preferred having a buyout clause but Saban didn't want one. Hmmmmmm.

Proud Tiger said:
Of course it doesn't matter to me but I bet if there had been a poll here ahead of time on the buyout question, most of you would have favored having it. Joe Espy, Pres. of your BOTs is quoted in today's B'ham News as saying he preferred having a buyout clause but Saban didn't want one. Hmmmmmm.

They would have preferred to have Saban without a buyout than [insert coach here] with a buyout. The one year prohibition on recruiting any of the same athletes is a disincentive to go to another college team. When I'm 54, I hope I'm not confronted with an 8-year contract with a buyout. The idea of working until I'm 62 is not that appealing.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
Proud Tiger said:

They would have preferred to have Saban without a buyout than [insert coach here] with a buyout. The one year prohibition on recruiting any of the same athletes is a disincentive to go to another college team. When I'm 54, I hope I'm not confronted with an 8-year contract with a buyout. The idea of working until I'm 62 is not that appealing.

RTR,

Tim

Oh I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want one either if I'm the employee but it in these situations it is always the employer (UA in this case who wants the buyout to protect them. If I was paying Saban the bucks he is getting I would sure as heck have a hefty buyout clause. Lets face it, Saban has made several moves in the last few years and if he is successful at Bama he will be a hot commodity and someone will come coming with big bucks. Why wouldn't Bama want to protect it's self?

Proud Tiger said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Proud Tiger said:

RTR,

Tim

Oh I totally agree with you. I wouldn't want one either if I'm the employee but it in these situations it is always the employer (UA in this case who wants the buyout to protect them. If I was paying Saban the bucks he is getting I would sure as heck have a hefty buyout clause. Lets face it, Saban has made several moves in the last few years and if he is successful at Bama he will be a hot commodity and someone will come coming with big bucks. Why wouldn't Bama want to protect it's self?

If you had demanded a buyout, then you might not have gotten him at all. Regarding his several moves in the last two years, he spent two years in the NFL. Before that he had five year stints at LSU and Michigan State. The facts show that he's hardly the job hopper many depict him to be.

And, since he's now here at the top of the heap, with a contract to his liking, why worry? :D

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom