| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 8/9 Alabama Defeats No. 21/20 Mississippi State, 78-67, to Open SEC Play

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 8/9 Alabama men's basketball travels to Starkville, Miss., for its first Southeastern Conference game of the season, facing No. 21/20 Mississippi State Wednesday at 8 p.m. CT on SEC Network.

The Crimson Tide and the Bulldogs enter the contest as two of the six SEC schools that are currently ranked in the AP Top-25 Poll. This is the first time since 2005 that Alabama and Mississippi State are meeting where both teams are ranked in the AP Top 25.

The Broadcast

Wednesday's game is set for an 8 p.m. CT tipoff and will be aired on the SEC Network with Paul Sutherland (play-by-play) and Pat Bradley (analyst) on the call.

The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call, while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

I need to look at MSU's defensive efficiency ... that said, 138.5? I'm thinking that looks like an over wager.

Offensively, there's almost a 25 spot difference in rankings between Bama and MSU (efficiency.)

Screenshot 2022-12-28 5.18.07 AM.png

FWIW, CNO said yesterday that Clowney was back and they'd see how Dom did that afternoon. He worked out and it's a game time decision. Maybe we'll see two or three minutes.

Road game wil be a challenge. Looks like the odds makers expect it to be close. Maybe a 70-68 type game. Team has not played in awhhile so ball handling will likely be a problem in the first half (so what is new). That would mean they will probably be down early.

A turnover at the end of the half was the difference in a 7-9 point lead as opposed to the 4 point lead. Good thing Mississippi State can't hit freethrows otherwise they would be up by 5-8 points instead of being down 4.

11-point road win. I'll take it!
Indeed any road win I will take. Played well down the stretch and held off the State runs. When all else fails pass the ball to Miller and he will stop any runs. I complain about bama FT shooting but good lord State at one time was like 8-25. Seemed like they hit a few more down the stretch but that was awful.

Last edited:

STARKVILLE, Miss. – The No. 8/9 Alabama men's basketball team picked up its fourth win over a Top 25 opponent, Wednesday night in Starkville, Miss., defeating No. 21/20 Mississippi State 78-67 to kick off the Southeastern Conference schedule.

The Tide (11-2) had four players score double-figures, led by Mark Sears scoring a game-high 20 points. Brandon Miller recorded his second straight double-double and third of the season scoring 19 points to go along with 11 rebounds against the Bulldogs (11-2).

Alabama's defense was exceptional to open the game, as the Bulldogs missed their first seven field goal attempts and didn't convert a field goal until the 15:49-mark. Both teams struggled on offense, combining to shoot 6-28 (21%) in the first 10 minutes of the game. The Tide took the lead with 9:17 left in the first half off a Mark Sears three-pointer and the Tide's defense would hold Mississippi State scoreless for over five minutes. It was a tight ballgame all throughout the first half, with the biggest lead in the first 20 minutes was eight points (Alabama lead 29-21). The Crimson Tide went into the break with a 34-30 lead.

The Crimson Tide used a 7-0 run early in the second half to take their first double digit lead of the game (46-37) with 14:46 left in the game. The Tide's offense continued to find its rhythm throughout the second half, jumping out to a 17-point lead (70-53), its largest lead of the game with just over five minutes left in the game. The Bulldogs were able to climb back and cut the Tide's lead to single-digits with 2:38 left in the game but Alabama was quickly able to regain its double-digit lead and come away with the victory.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"Before we get going on the game I just wanted to address the Darius Miles situation, he is out with a personal matter and we are supporting him through it. We are not sure how long he will be out but we are supporting him through it and trying to help him through it so that is why he was not on the bench tonight. As far as the game goes, they are a tough team and make it difficult on you. They turn people over and we had 19 turnovers and obviously that is not good, but I thought we were able to overcome them by how hard we played. We outrebounded them and they really hang their hat on how hard they play and how well they rebound and for us to outrebound them and I thought our defense was better than theirs. We chart blue collar points, and we had 14 more collar points than them, so I thought our effort was really good. We made some tough plays and got on the floor and I was proud of our guys because we overcame some good shooting nights from their guys; KeyShawn Murphy went 3-3 in the first half and we knew he could shoot but (Will) McNair stepped out and hit a three on us so that maybe counteracted the fact that Tolu (Smith) couldn't hit a free throw, which obviously helped us. Different things went different ways, but I thought our guys stepped up; I thought Brandon (Miller) and Mark (Sears) hit big shots late when we needed them. I thought Jaden (Bradley) did a great job running the team, he ended up with seven assists, which is big for us, and I thought he was aggressive against the press. I thought our depth really helped us, we had guys in foul trouble and Charles (Bediako) gets in foul trouble early in the second half and (Nick) Pringle has to play a lot more minutes than he is used to, and I thought he did well with them so I am proud of the team. Road wins are not easy to get in this league by the evidence of the other games tonight. The are some really good teams that went on the road and couldn't win so we went on the road against a Top 25 team and able to come out with a convincing win. I think it speaks to what our guys were able to do, especially on the defensive end."

TEAM STATS​

• The Crimson Tide won its fourth game over an AP Top 25 opponent this season
  • The Tide picked up its second road win over an AP Top 25 opponent this season (
  • Brandon Miller finished with his third double-double of the season with 19 points and 11 rebounds
  • Alabama's 78 points is the most Mississippi State has allowed an opponent to score this season (Previous high was 66 by Nicholls)
  • The Tide outscored Mississippi State 26-18 inside the paint
  • Dom Welch made his first appearance of the season for Alabama, playing nine minutes
  • Jaden Bradley recorded seven assists, tying his season high
  • Charles Bediako matched his season high in blocks with three tonight

FIRST HALF​

• Mark Sears and MSU's KeShawn Murphy led all scorers in the first half with nine points each
  • Alabama outscored the Bulldogs 16-2 inside the paint
  • The Tide shot 75% (6-8) from the free throw line while State shot 31% (5-16)
  • Mississippi State's bench outscored Alabama's bench 17-7

SECOND HALF​

• The Tide shot 50% (14-28) from the field in the second half, including 47% from beyond the arc (8-17) led by Miller and Sears scoring 11 points apiece
  • Alabama's defense limited Mississippi State to 22% (2-9) from three-point range
  • The Crimson Tide shot 80% (8-10) from the charity stripe while the Bulldogs converted 65% (13-20)

UP NEXT​

• Alabama will continue SEC Conference play as it returns home to face Ole Miss on Jan. 3
  • The Crimson Tide will tip-off against the Rebels at 8 p.m. CT with the contest airing live on the SEC Network

SEC refs must suck in every sport, not just football. I loled when the color guy said Sears fouled that guy's elbow with his face. I give Bama a ton of credit for playing great defense when the refs were calling everything a foul. Great road win. This team might be special. I'm looking forward to what they do the rest of the way.

Back
Top Bottom