| FTBL New Tiders you expect an impact from in 2018

Tidestalker

Freshman most likely to have a legit role next year (Including RS freshman)?

Obviously as the season wears on, there should be some opportunities via injury or just young players improving.

Think about how last year finished in the biggest moments... Leatherwood @ LT, Harris @ RB, Tua @ QB, and of course D. Smith with the big catch. Who could have ever seen that coming?!

My guesses:

-Phildariun Mathis / Seems like a good bet to add depth on the DL. Good size and hopefully versatility!
-Markail Benton / I see him as the 3rd LB and potentially our best pass coverage option. Thought it was great they didn't burn his RS late... Could be a good one for us!
-Josh Jobe / Could be anyone's guess between Jobe, Surtain, and JAD. But I love his size and speed... Plays physical. Think he may beat some older guys out eventually
-Xavier Williams / I know Waddle is more highly ranked, but Williams has more size. It's been tough for little WR's to hit the field at Bama because of the premium on blocking (and maybe the scheme?). Lots of talented young guys at WR right now but maybe he can squeeze into that rotation.
-Stephon Wynn / Same reasons as Mathis. If he beats him out, could see the field!
-Delong / Someone has to punt

Jaylen Waddle will be hard to keep off the field if he keeps it up.
This. I won't be surprised if he's a household name around the SEC by November. Barring injury, he will be on the field and will make an impact.

I'd count on Anoma before I did Mathis. In fact, Musika before Mathis as well.

Musika isn't a freshman.
Semantics, but true. Touche. Neither is Benton which led me to think along the lines of "first time seeing the field for Bama."

I'd count on Anoma before I did Mathis. In fact, Musika before Mathis as well.

Mathis not coming along ? Orr said he had a lot of promise last year.
I'm not saying that, at all. Depending on who you speak with there's a good number of folk who believe Anoma was the best pass rusher in the '18 class. Speaking of Orr, he also commented he thought Anoma had a quicker first step than Tim Williams--at least as I recall the comparison was against Williams. It was on one of the TI TV episodes.

There's more than a handful that I believe will see some significant playing time this fall. Another, even though he's been on campus awhile, is Jarez Parks. He's really impressed some of my friends around practices playing OLB. (Which leads to another possible move...we saw Rashaan move from outside to inside and there's speculation growing we'll see some of the same with Miller moving inside to provide more depth.)

-Markail Benton / I see him as the 3rd LB and potentially our best pass coverage option. Thought it was great they didn't burn his RS late... Could be a good one for us!

You think Benton has more potential than Mack Wilson in coverage? I do see Surtain and Jobe as possible breakthrough type players. There's a need in the back half and who knows how much shuffling will be going on once the season begins. I'm all in on Waddle since we signed him. If he's the next Palmer/Harvin type it will be about his talent and instinct being too good to keep off the field. I'm not sure how anyone can be a breakthrough player at LB for us this year. So much depth it's the best I've ever seen down there.

Outside. Need it inside.

As a redshirt, Benton yes, I agree and maybe Vanderius Cowan, if he has his stuff together. Ben Davis feels like he has fallen off a slippery slope.

But as a true freshman, Anoma is so intriguing, but he's huge, he's already at the size of some of our hybrid OLBers of old.

It would be really helpful if both Surtain and Jobe are able to learn the playbook and contribute to the secondary. Waddle could be a playa on special teams. The new punter will be looked upon to be winner from day one. I stayed a Phil's drinking cold beers longer than normal so didn't get to see the punter warmup but he didn't show much in the game other than landing several inside the 20.

ILB is a concern. Any word on the Benton / Cowan rumors from a couple months ago claiming they may both start the season suspended ?

Miller have enough speed to get to the sideline from the middle of the field ?

I watched one of Anomas games that was televised last year he was very impressive. I even saw him chew on a couple of teammates when they missed a tackle which I dont think I've seen since Ro McClain. Great competitor. No shortage of pass rushers this coming season.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not too concerned about the secondary. McKinneys reel out of high school was my favorite in that class. Soooo instinctive, great angles, speed, and very physical.

I thought Thompson should have been playing all last season. I was never a Hootie fan. (his play on the field that is) Hootie, my goodness, am I the only one that noticed how incredibly soft, and out of position Hootie was on the regular last season ? The. second. Thompson replaced him the team got better play from the position. Anyhow, I'm as excited about the Thompson / McKinney duo as just about any that have come along. Gonna be fun to watch those two together.

Freshman most likely to have a legit role next year (Including RS freshman)?

Obviously as the season wears on, there should be some opportunities via injury or just young players improving.

Think about how last year finished in the biggest moments... Leatherwood @ LT, Harris @ RB, Tua @ QB, and of course D. Smith with the big catch. Who could have ever seen that coming?!

My guesses:

-Phildariun Mathis / Seems like a good bet to add depth on the DL. Good size and hopefully versatility!
-Josh Jobe / Could be anyone's guess between Jobe, Surtain, and JAD. But I love his size and speed... Plays physical. Think he may beat some older guys out eventually
-Xavier Williams / I know Waddle is more highly ranked, but Williams has more size. It's been tough for little WR's to hit the field at Bama because of the premium on blocking (and maybe the scheme?). Lots of talented young guys at WR right now but maybe he can squeeze into that rotation.
-Stephon Wynn / Same reasons as Mathis. If he beats him out, could see the field!
-Delong / Someone has to punt

Let's not forget Najee's performance in the second half of the championship game. Otherwise, I'm seeing Surtain and Eyabi having the biggest impacts.

Just realized no one has mentioned Savion Smith. I think he's as likely as any new-comer to have a HUGE season. First round talent.

Imagine having Thompson, McKinney, Savion, Surtain, and Jobe / Carter / Mayden on the field at the same time in Dime. haha

Just realized no one has mentioned Savion Smith. I think he's as likely as any new-comer to have a HUGE season. First round talent.

Imagine having Thompson, McKinney, Savion, Surtain, and Jobe / Carter / Mayden on the field at the same time in Dime. haha

Yeah, Smith would have to be on there (considering he's going to be a starter) if this was a "new comers" thread but he specifically asked about freshmen. Savion Smith is a junior.

if this was a "new comers" thread but he specifically asked about freshmen. Savion Smith is a junior.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom