| FTBL My Wilbur Jackson story

JoshB

Yeah, this is a shameless plug here but I figured some of you might enjoy this, it will be a two-part series. Ozark is doing an unbelievable 26-foot mural in honor of Wilbur Jackson downtown. So, I got a chance to sit down with him - in Ozark's stadium nonetheless - to talk about his entire career and life. This really meant a lot to me. I grew up hearing about Wilbur from my dad - he was my dad's favorite player - and I've always wanted to interview him. I've explained on here how bad things have been with my family the last few months and when I told my dad that I was interviewing Wilbur I actually saw him smile for the first time in a very long time and he was like a kid all over again asking me to ask Wilbur this and that. I sat down with Wilbur for over two hours him just telling story after story (and loving it, it seemed). At the end, I told him about everything that has happened with my family - his wife has been very ill, too - and when I told him how my dad reacted to hearing I was interviewing him he started to get emotional and asked me to give him a message to hang in there and that he's praying for him. That meant a lot, especially to my dad.

Thanks for sharing. When will the second part run?

Next week, I'll probably put it up Monday. I'll post it here. He had a great time talking about installing the "Wish Bone," which is topical now with the new "Wish Bone Boys" movie coming up. There was also a lot of stuff I just couldn't get in because of length, like the reunion they have every year for his freshman class at Lake Martin. He gushed over that. That was the biggest difference he said between the NFL and college (I couldn't get this part in either). No matter how long all the guys from Alabama had been gone away from each other, when they finally saw each other again they could sit and talk for hours and hours without ever running out of something to say. It really was a treat to sit down and just listen to him, honestly.

Next week, I'll probably put it up Monday. I'll post it here. He had a great time talking about installing the "Wish Bone," which is topical now with the new "Wish Bone Boys" movie coming up. There was also a lot of stuff I just couldn't get in because of length, like the reunion they have every year for his freshman class at Lake Martin. He gushed over that. That was the biggest difference he said between the NFL and college (I couldn't get this part in either). No matter how long all the guys from Alabama had been gone away from each other, when they finally saw each other again they could sit and talk for hours and hours without ever running out of something to say. It really was a treat to sit down and just listen to him, honestly.
Great, thanks.

Did you record your interview or just take notes?

Great, thanks.

Did you record your interview or just take notes?

I try to record everything. Stupidly I suggested we do the interview at Carroll (just for his nostalgia I guess) and it was dumb hot. So, my phone started to overheat like an hour and half into the conversation. So, I had to take notes the rest of the way.

Back
Top Bottom