Movie about Muscle Shoals - looks pretty cool.

Growing up in the area I have had a chance to watch all of this as it happened. I don't think we really appreciated what was going on around us because most of it was kept very quiet for obvious reasons.

I bumped into several famous singers as a teenager and a young man including Percy Sledge, Mack Davis, The Osmonds, Tricia Yearwood (before she was famous), Jimmy Buffet who was there writing with Mac McaNally at his house in Sheffield , The Jackson Five, Sawyer Brown.

Art Garfunkel, of Simon and Garfunkel, drove up in a rental car to where some of us were hanging out one night at 2:00am trying to find Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. he had just flew into Memphis. I led him to the studio where a bunch of people were waiting for him (This was before Cell Phones) He got out and walked over to my car and to thanks me and introduced himself. Up until then had no idea that I had just met Art Garfunkel. He recorded "Bridge over Trouble Water" on that visit among others...

Others like Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Rolling Stones and the Allman Brothers came and went with anyone knowing there were even in town... Most of the Recording Studios had places out in the country where these singers would stay and most of the recording took place late at night and into the early morning.

I also met Gary Baker who wrote the song "I Swear" and Lone Stars's, "I'm Already There" who still lives in Sheffield nearby Muscle Shoals and coached my stepson in little league baseball.

The job I had at the time created opportunities to be in and out of all the studios constantly, but not when recording was taking place.

I can't wait to see this movie and thanks for posting it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom