| FTBL Move the SEC championship Game [Nashville stadium update]

If they are going to continue to have it , they need to move it more than 40 miles from Athens.
Now that Georgia is elite, we need to change it? It wasn't a complaint before. Same people said Alabama needed to remove the Third Saturday in October because Tennessee isn't relevant. No one says that anymore.

The SECCG is just fine in Atlanta. If it were moved to Nashville and TN made it, there would be 13 other fan bases saying it needs to be moved.

It was the same way when Bama played UGA! 2017, 2021. Both SECCG and the playoff.
There's a reason for that. Alabama alumni and fans have pretty much exhausted a ton of travel expenses to watch them play in title games, SECCG, and playoff games, and the rare bowl appearances for nearly a decade. Georgia alumni - who do make good money - had only seen Georgia come up a few yards short of a title in the SECCG in 2012, where the stadium was 60-40 in their advantage due to local purchases. By the time UGA has become an elite program, we as alumni and fans have not only invested a shit ton of money to watch Alabama, but we've gotten spoiled and can hold off for another year or two and rewatch them in the title. Georgia and Clemson fans thought this was a once in a lifetime event and will drive the ticket value up, just as we did when we played Texas in the 2010 NCCG.

If Alabama were to go on a three to four year title drought, we would undoubtedly have better road fan attendance because hunger will grow.

One of my favorite moments as a fan was when we played Clemson in 2008 and experiencing the roar of the Alabama fans pregame. It was incredible. We dominated that stadium.

There's a reason for that. Alabama alumni and fans have pretty much exhausted a ton of travel expenses to watch them play in title games, SECCG, and playoff games, and the rare bowl appearances for nearly a decade. Georgia alumni - who do make good money - had only seen Georgia come up a few yards short of a title in the SECCG in 2012, where the stadium was 60-40 in their advantage due to local purchases. By the time UGA has become an elite program, we as alumni and fans have not only invested a shit ton of money to watch Alabama, but we've gotten spoiled and can hold off for another year or two and rewatch them in the title. Georgia and Clemson fans thought this was a once in a lifetime event and will drive the ticket value up, just as we did when we played Texas in the 2010 NCCG.

If Alabama were to go on a three to four year title drought, we would undoubtedly have better road fan attendance because hunger will grow.

One of my favorite moments as a fan was when we played Clemson in 2008 and experiencing the roar of the Alabama fans pregame. It was incredible. We dominated that stadium.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Georgia all of a sudden prides itself on going to Nashville and having more fans than Vanderbilt and the plane rides to the Rose Bowl, but as you said, none of that was there the last 25-30 years. They are all gung ho excited about their current revival, and who wouldn't be, but all those years of pent up frustration have built coffers for them to out buy others for these tickets. Tgey have a lot of wealthy donor's too, no doubt.

As you said, didn't we used to call the Dome Bryabt-Denny East?

And yes, Atlanta is terrible and I live here to even say it, but I still like the game here of course due to proximity.

I think the issue isn't the size of the stadium or price of tickets, the issue the original OP had is the fact that Georgia fans own 90% of the tickets currently. They essentially have a home game there multiple times a year because they know it looks like a "neutral site" game but it's far from neutral site.
Hard to project a neutral site...5 years or so ahead of a PO game..
Thats why...nashville will be perfect...cause vandy aint winning SECe....lol

Nashville is a better city....cleaner...less crime...etc then other that have a capable stadium... screw Atlanta...NO ( i love going to NO...but....l)...Dallas.....ec

I think the issue isn't the size of the stadium or price of tickets, the issue the original OP had is the fact that Georgia fans own 90% of the tickets currently. They essentially have a home game there multiple times a year because they know it looks like a "neutral site" game but it's far from neutral site.
Georgia has an opportunity to play one, maybe two, games at MBS. Georgia doesn’t own 90% of the tickets but their fans are stupid enough to spend 10x the face value to get tickets. I never heard complaints about the location when Georgia wasn’t playing in the game. Move it to Nashville and there will be too many Tennessee fans. Move it to Houston and there will be too many A&M or Texas fans. Move it to Orlando and there will be too many Florida fans. Move it to New Orleans and there will be too many LSU fans.

Georgia has an opportunity to play one, maybe two, games at MBS. Georgia doesn’t own 90% of the tickets but their fans are stupid enough to spend 10x the face value to get tickets. I never heard complaints about the location when Georgia wasn’t playing in the game. Move it to Nashville and there will be too many Tennessee fans. Move it to Houston and there will be too many A&M or Texas fans. Move it to Orlando and there will be too many Florida fans. Move it to New Orleans and there will be too many LSU fans.

Well when you talk sponsors and the tickets they get, them mainly being in Georgia, they fall into the hands of Georgia fans. So ehile the allotment may not be directly to the University, they get their hands on them through sponsors. And yes, they also pay thay 10X value you're speaking of as well. People at Mercedes Benz also have PSL, Personal Seat Licensing, that gives them the opportunity tk buy those SEC Championship tickets, and those Falcons fans and business owners all have Dawg fan relatives, fans themselves, or a client they can give them to of a Georgia nature.

This I don't disagree with. Nashville is far superior to Atlanta.
Atlanta’s benefits include:

1. Airport. You can get there from anywhere.
2. MARTA. It isn’t perfect but you aren’t required to stay downtown to access the stadium. You can find a hotel in your price range and MARTA will drop you off at the stadium. You don’t have to pay $$$$$$ for stadium parking. You can also take MARTA from the airport to your hotel meaning no rental car or cab fees.
3. Diversity. There’s something (hotels, entertainment, dining) for everyone in and around Atlanta. Being a bigger city means there’s more of everything.
4. Stadium. MBS has hosted multiple major sporting events (SECCG, NFL, Peach Bowl, Super Bowl, Chick Fil A Kickoff games, Major League Soccer) along with big business conferences. Experience matters.

2. MARTA. It isn’t perfect but you aren’t required to stay downtown to access the stadium. You can find a hotel in your price range and MARTA will drop you off at the stadium. You don’t have to pay $$$$$$ for stadium parking. You can also take MARTA from the airport to your hotel meaning no rental car or cab fees.
3. Diversity. There’s something (hotels, entertainment, dining) for everyone in and around Atlanta. Being a bigger city means there’s more of everything.
4. Stadium. MBS has hosted multiple major sporting events (SECCG, NFL, Peach Bowl, Super Bowl, Chick Fil A Kickoff games, Major League Soccer) along with big business conferences. Experience matters.
Nashville also has everything you’ve listed here except kickoff games for college but with a new stadium there may be one out in. Also UT fans are not as well represented here in Nashville as you think. In the 90s maybe but now it’s mostly other fans now with all the transplants.

See above about UT fans, but Georgia fans own at least 75% of falcons tickets just look at the last Bama UGA matchup they said it was only 25% Bama there. That’s because Georgia fans were not reselling those tickets during that year.

Nashville is only 1 hour closer to Knoxville than Tuscaloosa. Most schools can get there very quickly and it has a large airport.

Now that Georgia is elite, we need to change it? It wasn't a complaint before. Same people said Alabama needed to remove the Third Saturday in October because Tennessee isn't relevant. No one says that anymore.

The SECCG is just fine in Atlanta. If it were moved to Nashville and TN made it, there would be 13 other fan bases saying it needs to be moved.
Damn straight! I don’t want uga to have any advantage.
All I want is our unfair advantage

Nashville also has everything you’ve listed here except kickoff games for college but with a new stadium there may be one out in. Also UT fans are not as well represented here in Nashville as you think. In the 90s maybe but now it’s mostly other fans now with all the transplants.

See above about UT fans, but Georgia fans own at least 75% of falcons tickets just look at the last Bama UGA matchup they said it was only 25% Bama there. That’s because Georgia fans were not reselling those tickets during that year.

Nashville is only 1 hour closer to Knoxville than Tuscaloosa. Most schools can get there very quickly and it has a large airport.
Large airport? Seriously? Game attendees will most likely have to fly through Atlanta to get to Nashville.

1. Its not like Nashville International Airport is Dodge City Memorial Airfield
2. I am sure you can stay in a nice hotel in the suburbs of Nashville
3. Nashville probably has a variety of things to do as well.
4. Nissan Stadium isn't some dump like Legion Field.

At the end of the day, Nashville a major city, and it is capable of hosting an event such as the SEC championship game. Is Nissan Stadium as "nice" as the Georgia Dome 2.0? No, but it's still a nice venue that seats close to 70,000 people.

Dude the point of this post is considering the idea of making the SECCG a more quality event by rotating it to different venues. And yes, we are well aware that hosting the game in Atlanta makes the most sense from a logistics and efficiency standpoint. But guess what? I would argue that the logistics and efficiency of a city would not necessarily make or break the SEC title game. We are not talking about having the game hosted in Starkville Mississippi, we are talking about hosting the game in other major cities in the South; cities that are definitely capable of hosting the SECCG. I think it would be cool to see Alabama play in an SEC title game in Tampa. I think it would be cool to see Alabama play in an SEC title game in Houston. Why can't that be so? I don't care if it hurts the feelings of a bunch of accountants who are obsessed with cost efficiency, or high ranking city officials in Atlanta; they can go fuck themselves for all I care.

1. Its not like Nashville International Airport is Dodge City Memorial Airfield
2. I am sure you can stay in a nice hotel in the suburbs of Nashville
3. Nashville probably has a variety of things to do as well.
4. Nissan Stadium isn't some dump like Legion Field.

At the end of the day, Nashville a major city, and it is capable of hosting an event such as the SEC championship game. Is Nissan Stadium as "nice" as the Georgia Dome 2.0? No, but it's still a nice venue that seats close to 70,000 people.

Dude the point of this post is considering the idea of making the SECCG a more quality event by rotating it to different venues. And yes, we are well aware that hosting the game in Atlanta makes the most sense from a logistics and efficiency standpoint. But guess what? I would argue that the logistics and efficiency of a city would not necessarily make or break the SEC title game. We are not talking about having the game hosted in Starkville Mississippi, we are talking about hosting the game in other major cities in the South; cities that are definitely capable of hosting the SECCG. I think it would be cool to see Alabama play in an SEC title game in Tampa. I think it would be cool to see Alabama play in an SEC title game in Houston. Why can't that be so? I don't care if it hurts the feelings of a bunch of accountants who are obsessed with cost efficiency, or high ranking city officials in Atlanta; they can go fuck themselves for all I care.

They'll probably move it to England and join the NFL with their global reach soon anyways.

1. Its not like Nashville International Airport is Dodge City Memorial Airfield I checked flights from each college location and only Austin, Atlanta and Kansas City have direct flights. In terms of airports, Nashville isn’t Dodge City, but it isn’t big.
2. I am sure you can stay in a nice hotel in the suburbs of Nashville You can, but then you’ll have to drive to the game and pay for expensive parking. Other option is an expensive cab ride or Uber.
3. Nashville probably has a variety of things to do as well. It does, but not with the convenience of Metro Atlanta.
4. Nissan Stadium isn't some dump like Legion Field. Never said it was a dump, but the big events are the Titans and the TransPerfect Music City Bowl. The TransPerfect Music City Bowl set a record for attendance in 2021 with 69,489 for Purdue vs Tennessee. I’m sure players would be excited about playing outdoors in 40-degree weather.

Remember that the game is a moneymaking venture for both the SEC and the city. If the city can’t make money, they won’t want it. Hotels require multiple night stays in order to generate enough tax revenue to pay for the game.

Large airport? Seriously? Game attendees will most likely have to fly through Atlanta to get to Nashville.
Do you hate Nashville or something? lol, you're a staunch Atlanta fan, everyone in the south thinks Atlanta is a cesspool except you apparently. Atlanta doesn't have some massive airport, they connect flights through the eastern coast through there because it's a good stopping point on the way to NY or FLA, not because Atlanta is some large hub for commerce.

Also, very blind to what Nashville has to offer, after numerous people keep pointing out to you that you're wrong you keep coming back with new excuses why a city like Nashville wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind a rotated strategy where it spends 4 years in a location and then moves to a new one. It benefits the SEC quite a bit. The city will get their revenue through taxes, the hotels/bars/restraunts will get theirs through all the people flocking there for a week or so. Nashville is a city people go to spend 4-5 days. I can't honestly remember the last person who said "hey let's go to Atlanta" and it wasn't because of work or family.

Do you hate Nashville or something? lol, you're a staunch Atlanta fan, everyone in the south thinks Atlanta is a cesspool except you apparently. Atlanta doesn't have some massive airport, they connect flights through the eastern coast through there because it's a good stopping point on the way to NY or FLA, not because Atlanta is some large hub for commerce.

Also, very blind to what Nashville has to offer, after numerous people keep pointing out to you that you're wrong you keep coming back with new excuses why a city like Nashville wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind a rotated strategy where it spends 4 years in a location and then moves to a new one. It benefits the SEC quite a bit. The city will get their revenue through taxes, the hotels/bars/restraunts will get theirs through all the people flocking there for a week or so. Nashville is a city people go to spend 4-5 days. I can't honestly remember the last person who said "hey let's go to Atlanta" and it wasn't because of work or family.
Atlanta is the busiest airport in the WORLD. Flights connect through Atlanta because it is a large commerce hub. You can fly almost anywhere in the world, non-stop, from Atlanta. Planes are capable of flying from Miami to NY without needing a stopping point.

I’m just presenting the facts of why Atlanta was chosen and what any other city has to compete with. Cities like Nashville have an uphill battle to replace Atlanta unless the SEC first decides that a new city will be chosen and Atlanta is out of the running.

I know that Nashville is a dynamic and entertaining city. I never said it wasn’t. But, there are several advantages that Atlanta has that Nashville doesn’t.

On the airport note, Nashville is a couple years in to a significant upgrade. Additionally, the SECCG wouldn’t really need an airport that anyone in the world can get to on a direct flight. Airlines are known to add flights to/from cities for big events such as sports events. If Texas plays SC in the SECCG, there would be additional direct options for fans of each city to get to the airport nearest the game location. I’d put my money on it moving away from Atlanta after this renewed contract expires. I see why they’ve had it there, I see the positives and negatives, but I hate going to Atlanta. Nothing fun or pleasant about it. Traffic sucks, airport sucks, crime sucks, it’s so spread out and not a centralized city, etc. But that’s just my feelings on it based on my experiences.

On the airport note, Nashville is a couple years in to a significant upgrade. Additionally, the SECCG wouldn’t really need an airport that anyone in the world can get to on a direct flight. Airlines are known to add flights to/from cities for big events such as sports events. If Texas plays SC in the SECCG, there would be additional direct options for fans of each city to get to the airport nearest the game location. I’d put my money on it moving away from Atlanta after this renewed contract expires. I see why they’ve had it there, I see the positives and negatives, but I hate going to Atlanta. Nothing fun or pleasant about it. Traffic sucks, airport sucks, crime sucks, it’s so spread out and not a centralized city, etc. But that’s just my feelings on it based on my experiences.
Yes, but if you held it in Nashville for five years, you'll say the same thing about Nashville. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom